Steve Kimock Crazy Engine Behind The Scenes Video

By: Martin Halo

Editor's Note: JamBase contributor Martin Halo recently sat down with Steve Kimock for an interview. Marty was kind enough to share the news with us:

With an exclusive interview and live performances we are prepared to take you inside Steve Kimock's rehearsal barn in the Lehigh Valley of Pennsylvania. With long-time friend Melvin Seals, who was most notably known for his 15-year musical direction of the Jerry Garcia Band, Steve Kimock unveils his new project, Crazy Engine.

Steve Kimock performs this weekend post-Phish and has Crazy Engine dates across the country; details available here.

[Published on: 3/2/09]

Comments

deadpig79 Mon 3/2/2009 03:53PM

deadpig79

kimock for president!

TerryJ Mon 3/2/2009 04:28PM

So true about the flow...cant wait to see em' at All Good

Kill Smokey Mon 3/2/2009 04:32PM
rizzlesanderson Mon 3/2/2009 04:42PM

Kimock is the man. Period. Can't wait for these shows! Where is that one moron that comes on here and insists that steve plays in the wrong key? You know, that one guy who has no clue whatsoever. And that one guy with the fancy music degree who "knows good music?" You know the one guy who insists that music is all about the chords and shit. I'm sure he'll show up eventually. Steve even says in the video that "all those chords i learned arn;t where the music comes from." Thank you steve! I don't care what they say: KIMOCK IS THE MAN!!

moephishH2O starstarstarstarstar Mon 3/2/2009 04:44PM

moephishH2O

Really looking forward to Bend > Portland > Eugene.

bubbakushman Mon 3/2/2009 06:05PM

kimock at hookahville!!!!!!!!

thesource420 Mon 3/2/2009 06:23PM

wow! thanks for the video! Whatever song they are playing sound cool as shit!!!! NO ONE DOES IT LIKE KIMOCK! His son is pretty damned good on thos skins! How cool must that be to go on tour with your dad? Kimock is a true jedi master. I love listening to him talk about music.

stealin Mon 3/2/2009 06:43PM

Steve I love you and your music, but now I see why you don't sing, you can't even talk! What did you do stay late one night super baked and watch those Dead vids and think? Hey! that way of thinking about how music feels is my way too! No shit Sherlock. Just keep doing your part and play what others can only attempt to describe in words.

adventuresinperception starstarstarstarstar Mon 3/2/2009 06:53PM

adventuresinperception

Kimock is the Man!!

Been so pumped for these shows and cannot wait

Rizzlesanderson youre right on, find me at the SF shows and Ill buy you a beer. ill be guy frying balls front row 2 feet from SK

ps-song title is called its up to you

bloggersrlosers starstarstarstarstar Mon 3/2/2009 07:21PM

bloggersrlosers

Why o why is he not on Dead tour? Best ratdog ive ever seen- Kimock on lead... best phil ive ever seen- trey and kimock on guitar... best version of the allman brothers covering the dead- anytime Warren is there. Warren Haynes is a great guitarist but if i wanted to go to an ABB concert i would go see the ABB. But this crazy engine looks sick and i'll try to go see it in burlington if i dont have to work

rizzlesanderson Mon 3/2/2009 08:18PM

^@adventures: Right on man! I'd love to take you up on thatbeer offer, but i'm all the way over on the east coast. I plan on hitting up the south florida and tampa shows. I'd love to see steve in his former home turf of San Fran! That show is gonna be hot! I thought that song sounded familiar. His playing is so fluid and his tone is unmatched. I agree with the above statement about ratdog w/ kimock. The best ratdog show i ever saw was with

Kimock on 11/14/2007 at the florida theater in jax, florida. Shows in jacksonville NEVER get that rowdy. They played a second set for the ages. Kimock took "mississippi half step" and "stella blue" to heights i've never experienced before. I mean during that half step solo, he literally blew the roof off the place. I looked for the soundboard on ratdog.com, but it was removed....I heard a rumor that they took it down because they are releasing it on dvd. I hope that is true. I could go on and on about how much of a nice guy steve is too. Before a show once, I walked up and talked to him about his rig and guitars. He was not your typical rock star and took the time to explain how his pedals were set up and what they were used for. Being a guitarist myself, the information was was invaluable. I'll never forget how laid back he was. He is a living legend, truly one of the all time greatest players. Have fun at that san fran show adventures, its gonna be a sick tour!

AlephFredHead Mon 3/2/2009 09:38PM

my favorite Kimock is when he toured with JFJO. Great shows, i tihnk theyre on digitalsoundboard. btw, you should download JFJO's new studio album FREE @ JFJO.com

PUFNSTUF1 Tue 3/3/2009 05:54AM

I think the best band Kimock ever played in was the first version of Zero. I saw them play dozens of times at the Fillmore, Sweetwater and Maritime Hall in San Francisco. Greg Anton on drums, Martin Fierro on Sax, Jeff Farey on keys and stuff, Bobby Vega on Bass and both Steve Kimock and John Cippolina on guitar. Probably the best psychedelic band of the mid 80's. Both John and Martin are gone now.......nothing left but foggy memories. Man those shows were fun. Beware the freaky little guy with a bag of sugar cubes.....whew!

toaster100 starstarstarstarstar Tue 3/3/2009 06:47AM

So who is more the man, KImock or Melvin. I saw melvin w/the JGB a month ago...unreal. And Kimock touring the last two summers with mickey and ratdog...also unreal. Kimock with the everyone orchestra in denver 12/29...unreal. I relly hope I get to see one of these shows, but Montana is a long ways from any of their dates...

nickrbk starstarstarstarstar Tue 3/3/2009 06:55AM

nickrbk

so sick. I cant wait to see this live

Girard starstarstarstarstar Tue 3/3/2009 10:25AM

Girard

Be expected to be blown away by Janis "Ice" Wallin of Family Groove Company on the bass. shes gonna lay down the funk!

Fultzwagon Tue 3/3/2009 03:28PM

Fultzwagon

Rodney still on drums? He is the man on the skins and Kimock kills it always

willydog Tue 3/3/2009 04:57PM

willydog

^^^Nope. No Rodny. He is running around in Europe and all over. Check out his myspace to see what he is up to. You are correct he is a monster...but I am sure Steve pays his son much less.

Fultzwagon Wed 3/4/2009 09:04AM

Fultzwagon

Yeah, and who better to cut your teeth with than your dad, nothing better than that...unless your dad is also Steve Kimock. I can see why he would want to take his son on board. Hopefully Rodney taught him a thing or two before heading overseas..

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^› {¬¿¬} Wed 3/4/2009 09:36AM

rodney is with Jim Wieder right now, along with Mitch Stein.

I just LOVE KIMOCK, easily one of my all time favorite guitarists ever.

JJY81 Mon 3/9/2009 07:55PM

Wow...Steve has such a great comprehension of musical theory and the effects of music on the emotions of the audience...Steve can speak just fine, he just explains things in a way that can be difficult to understand at first but all you have to do is really listen to what he's saying.Everything made perfect sense to me...so "stealin" I couldn't disagree with you more.Steve is an amazing guitar player.

WidespreadPhanic starstarstarstarstar Thu 3/26/2009 12:17PM

WidespreadPhanic

this looks really cool. can't wait to see them at allgood. sorry for the gripe but yes kimock needs to play with the dead not warren. peace.

judahisreal Fri 4/17/2009 10:44PM

judahisreal

Master Kimock, if ol' boy don't wail like a mug, they would be like what was he waiting for for just that one moment, hold on the sounds were still melding. Even how come Jerry wails the spaghetti and still can't reach that level of volume Steve pulls with a single note. In our memories, the sound is all too much, take that home to reckon. Fancy, music is the language we speak, but you will remember later the overlapping wash of wailing humdingers amongst the flailing woe bangers. Water the flowers that grow out your ears!