Mott The Hoople Reunion

ORIGINAL LINE-UP COMES TOGETHER FOR FIRST TIME IN 35 YEARS

Vintage Hoople
"On tour as support to Mott The Hoople (the only time Queen ever supported anyone), I was always conscious that we were in the presence of something great, something highly evolved, close to the center of the 'Spirit of Rock 'n' Roll,' something to breathe in and learn from." - Brian May

In honor of the group's 40th Anniversary, Mott The Hoople will reunite on October 2nd & 3rd at the HMV Apollo Victoria (formerly the Hammersmith Apollo) in London.

Formed in 1969 when Ian Hunter joined Verden Allen, Dale Griffin, Overend Watts and Mick Ralphs, Mott The Hoople released their eponymous debut album that same year. By 1971 they were selling out and trashing the Albert Hall – rock bands were banned for years afterwards – but just 12 months later, after onstage punches and insults were thrown, Mott The Hoople were ready to quit, but stayed together thanks to longtime fan, David Bowie, who gave them "All The Young Dudes," the first of a string of hits including the Ian Hunter-penned "Roll Away The Stone," "All The Way From Memphis," "Honaloochie Boogie" and "The Golden Age of Rock 'n' Roll." Despite the success and accolades, Mott The Hoople's demise was surely inevitable and by 1974 the band had split.

It is fitting that the 2009 shows are at the HMV Apollo since one side of 1973's Mott The Hoople Live album was recorded there. They had to play twice in one day to satisfy ticket demand, and the second show ended in near riot when the curtain came down on their final encore. Even in an era of band reformations, it will be still be shocking to their legions of fans that Mott The Hoople have decided to reform, especially with their original line-up, to celebrate their 40th Anniversary. Shocking but thrilling to fans who include Primal Scream, Morrissey, The Clash, REM, Queen, Blur and many more.

Here's the lads with "The Golden Age of Rock & Roll" on Top of the Pops in 1974.

[Published on: 1/25/09]

Comments

TravlynnJoe starstarstarstarstar Sun 1/25/2009 03:42PM

TravlynnJoe

Mott the Hoople to reunite They may no longer be, well, young dudes, but nothing short of war, death and famine can stop the 1970s glam-rockers from re-forming for the first time in 35 years.

Mott the Hoople are to reform, playing their first gigs in 35 years. Decades after the release of All the Young Dudes – and boasting members who are, well, no longer young dudes – the band's original lineup will reunite for two London gigs.

Singer Ian Hunter, 69, lead guitarist Mick Ralphs, organist Verden Allen, drummer Dale Griffin and bassist Overend Watts are to give performances on 2 and 3 October 2009. Both gigs will take place at the Hammersmith Apollo, which will be renamed the HMV Apollo from 9 March.

Hunter made the announcement online as a casual comment to fans. "Just thought you'd like to know the Mott the Hoople reunion is going to take place," he wrote. "Why are we doing it? I can't speak for the others, but I'm doing it just to see what it's like."

2009 marks the 40th anniversary of the band's formation, although it took the David Bowie-penned All the Young Dudes to usher them into glam-rock history. Bowie wrote the song as a beleaguered Mott the Hoople considered breaking up. Though they turned down Bowie's first suggestion – a little tune called Suffragette City – All the Young Dudes made it almost to the top of the charts.

Mott the Hoople later became pals with Queen, taking the band on tour and inspiring part of the song Now I'm Here.

Though Mott the Hoople did not become arena stars like some of their peers, they still enjoy a fiercely loyal fanbase. The band received renewed attention last year, after appearing on the soundtrack for the surprise hit film Juno.

Hunter said this week that (almost) nothing can keep the re-formed Hoople back. "Short of war, death, famine etc," the sexagenarian boasted, "it's ON."

Tickets for the gigs go on sale 22 January, at £36 and £42.50.

HoodooVoodoo starstarstarstarstar Sun 1/25/2009 03:43PM
HoodooVoodoo Sun 1/25/2009 03:44PM
Littleo starstarstarstar Sun 1/25/2009 06:27PM

HdVd, This is one of those bands that you need to respect. If you don't like the music, you just don't comment

bubbarock starstarstarstarstar Sun 1/25/2009 06:34PM

bubbarock

Know your rock n' roll roots! Rock on!

Positive1 starstarstarstarstar Sun 1/25/2009 07:20PM

Positive1

my dad got to open up for these guys he was always bragging about it,don't know much about them, I thought all the young dudes was a pretty funny tune,look at that dudes suspenders :)Rocknroll man

Cookie Sun 1/25/2009 08:23PM

A Faces and MTH double bill would be insane. Throw in a slice of Humble Pie and we are talkin a killer dinosaurs of rock tour.

Cookie Sun 1/25/2009 08:41PM

I wish UFO were still around too.

rainydaywomen420 starstarstarstarstar Sun 1/25/2009 10:14PM

rainydaywomen420

^^ humble pie is nice

King Rhino starstarstarstarstar Mon 1/26/2009 06:10AM

Um, Cookie? UFO IS still around .....

King Rhino starstarstarstarstar Mon 1/26/2009 06:35AM

".... All the OLD DUDES ...Eatin' their PRUUUUUUUUnes!!!...."

Conjugal Burning Mon 1/26/2009 08:30AM

Conjugal Burning

i think your phone's ringing dude

phalluscooper Mon 1/26/2009 10:19AM

phalluscooper

First the Faces and now Mott The Hoople in 2009...nice!

futhepharmer starstarstarstarstar Mon 1/26/2009 12:50PM

futhepharmer

The "Mott The Hoople Live" album was a required listening in the school of fu's musical musts. The sound of Ariel Bender's guitar just fuzz's the hell out of your speakers. It almost sounded as if they were going to implode on stage!

mickey7 starstarstarstarstar Mon 1/26/2009 07:27PM

First, I can't believe Ian Hunter is 69, but I guess time is really slipping past, and it makes sense that when I was in my early teens discovering them, he was in his early 30's.

Secondly,in an interesting bit of timing, my 6 yr old daughter asked me what my i-pod looked like when I was a kid, tonight at the dinner table. I explained I didn't have i-pods, but had "records". My 9 yr old daughter then took it upon herself to go to the rec room and bring back an album to show her. Out of the 350 - 500 or so albums I have left, guess what album she randomly picked out. Yup, Mott the Hoople's "Mott". Of course we had to play it, and loud. One of the most beautiful / sad songs ever written is on there; "I Wish I Was Your Mother", a song Alejandro Escovedo (and if you've never heard of him you should check him out), covers quite often. In fact, I saw Alejandro at the Ottawa Bluesfest a couple of summers ago, and he played it as an encore, with sparse instrumentation, and it took me a few seconds of wheel spinning before I recognized it. It had been decades since I had heard it. I looked around and the crowd was just stunned, mouths open, by the sheer weight and emotion of the lyrics. Later, at the autograph tent I said to him, "Nice Mott cover, Alejandro, you nailed that", to which he looked up with a big smile and said "Thanks man, Ian Hunter's one of my favorites".

Anyways,,,a little more trivia,,,Bowie also sang back-up on "Dudes", and Mick Ronson, then a guitarist with the Spiders, eventually ended up in Mott, replacing one of the best rock and roll "names" Ariel Bender, who had replaced Mick Ralphs who had left to form Bad Company with Paul Rodgers. Hunter also wrote a great book "Diary of a Rock and Roll Star" required reading at the time. The Clash were huge fans too, & Mick Jones & Topper Headon played on "Short Back and Sides", which Jones also co-produced with Ronson.

Finally,,,it wouldn't hurt anyone here interested to pick up any or all of the triumvirate of "All The Young Dudes ('72), "Mott" ('73), & "The Hoople" ('74). They might've been connected to the glam movement, but they could rock with the best of the British scene then, and Hunter had a Dylan-esque delivery & way with words that separated them from the pack. Required listening. I hope the shows go well.