Derek Trucks Band: Already Free

THE DEREK TRUCKS BAND SET TO RELEASE ALREADY FREE ON JANUARY 13, 2009

Listen to "Down In The Flood".

"Three things worth knowing about Derek Trucks: He is young, he is a veteran, and he is the most awe-inspiring electric slide guitar player performing today." -Ashley Kahn, Wall Street Journal

"One of the best guitar players out there." -Willie Nelson

Derek Trucks Band
One of the most critically acclaimed guitarists and the youngest musician to be named in Rolling Stone's list of the Top Hundred Guitarists of All Time, Derek Trucks has completed his much anticipated sixth studio album with The Derek Trucks Band, Already Free, available January 13, 2009. As well, the album's first single, a stirring cover of Bob Dylan and The Band's "Down in the Flood" from the album The Basement Tapes, was just released.

The album was self-produced by Trucks and recorded in his Jacksonville, Florida home studio. Nearly a year in the making and brimming with a newfound focus on creating original material, Already Free is the band's natural evolution as they move forward integrating influences that span a variety of musical genres. Known for their blues roots, the group takes this album well beyond blues to incorporate the larger sounds of rock & soul.

Over the course of several albums, various bands and countless tours, Trucks has explored an exciting array of musical styles. On Already Free, Trucks has written original songs and reinvigorated old ones, introducing a profound new vision. One hears blues, soul, jazz, flourishes of world music from Afrobeat to qawwali, even the advanced tonalities of the modern European masters.

The band, which consists of Derek Trucks on guitar, bassist Todd Smallie, percussionist Count M'Butu, drummer Yonrico Scott, keyboardist Kofi Burbridge and singer Mike Mattison, was joined by their famous friends - pals like Doyle Bramhall II, Oteil Burbridge and Trucks' wife Susan Tedeschi can all be heard on the album.

Bramhall takes over the vocal duties on the two songs, "Maybe This Time" which mixes languid guitars and Eastern flavor and "Our Love," a companion piece with the piercing guitar riffs signature of Bramhall/Trucks collaborations.

The album's first single, "Down in the Flood" from Bob Dylan and The Band's album The Basement Tapes, has almost more relevance now, post-Hurricane Katrina, than when Dylan wrote it in 1967. "I think it really turned out to be one of the most powerful tracks on the record. I think lyrically it's pretty timely. Crash on the levee, down in the flood, are so significant post-Katrina. There are some good metaphors, as there are in most Dylan tunes," says Trucks.

True to form, the album also features Trucks' electrifying slide guitar handiwork that at the tender age of 29, has garnered him much accolade, including the cover of Rolling Stone Magazine which hailed him as one of the New Guitar Gods.

Raised in a home filled with music, Trucks picked up a guitar at nine and was quickly considered a prodigy. He has gone on to a storybook guitar career playing with some of the greatest musicians of all time including Eric Clapton, Willie Nelson, Buddy Guy, a regular stint with the Allman Brothers Band (his uncle, Butch Trucks is a founding member), performing on Clapton's Crossroads Guitar Festival Emmy-winning DVD, opening a tour for Carlos Santana to name a few of the highlights. Already Free reflects all of Trucks' many influences and experiences, and highlights the quintessential Derek Trucks Band sound of mixing soulful vocals and expert guitar playing.

ALREADY FREE TRACK LISTING:
1. Down In The Flood
2. Something To Make You Happy
3. Maybe This Time
4. Sweet Inspiration
5. Don't Miss Me
6. Get What You Deserve
7. Our Love
8. Down Don't Bother Me
9. Days Is Almost Gone
10. Back Where I Started
11. I Know
12. Already Free

The Derek Trucks Band's next show is November 21 in Harrisburg, PA. Complete tour dates available here.

[Published on: 11/13/08]

Comments

Lerxst20 starstarstarstarstar Thu 11/13/2008 02:47PM

Songlines was probably one of the best albums of 2006, and I can't wait to hear this new album.

Might As Well Thu 11/13/2008 03:01PM

Might As Well

Can't wait for this album! If you haven't seen him and the band, do it now!

gmoo Thu 11/13/2008 03:02PM

gmoo

Besides Chuck Norris, Derek Trucks might be my favorite guitar player. ABB was one of the best shows I saw all summer and I can't wait to hear the new tracks.

canoftunapudding Thu 11/13/2008 03:08PM

fugs yeah. can't wait to see them shine at xmas jam. Its been a while since I've seen pure dtb. Soul Stew is badass, don't get me wrong, but I miss that bluesy fusion funk.

delaneyira starstarstarstarstar Thu 11/13/2008 03:34PM

derek is the man... the album will likely be dope...

jerryg1942 Thu 11/13/2008 04:03PM

i agree w/ willie........."one of the best guitar players out there" if not the best

irtimed starstarstarstarstar Thu 11/13/2008 04:06PM

irtimed

Susan and Derek both come out with new albums... dont get me wrong, I bet they're both great, but why don't they come out with one together?

gregboyer starstarstarstarstar Thu 11/13/2008 04:09PM

This should be great. Songlines will be hard to top. Hey irtimed, I'm pretty sure I heard a Derek/Susan album is in the works also.

phish728 Thu 11/13/2008 04:14PM

agreed, Soul Stew is good, but Dtrucks Band blows all out of the water. I caught the show in NYC last thursday night and can say that this is one of the top musical ensembles playing live blues/soul/african roots style music that exists today, and one of overall music's best performing acts. So glad to know that Dtrucks is only like 27 or something, wich means we got many many more years to see him further develop.

Chaloupka starstarstarstarstar Thu 11/13/2008 04:19PM

Chaloupka

Awesome! Can't wait to get it!

rainydaywomen420 starstarstarstarstar Thu 11/13/2008 04:37PM

rainydaywomen420

awesome rendition of the almighty meters cissy strut. Derek trucks very well may be the greatest slide player ever, at least the best ive heard.

BlowsAgainsttheEmpire Thu 11/13/2008 06:36PM

BlowsAgainsttheEmpire

"and brimming with a newfound focus on creating original material"

Damn then why not put out a brand new band penned original as the first single then if that is what the "focus" is supposedly on?

mateotee Thu 11/13/2008 07:14PM
Jukebox Hero Thu 11/13/2008 08:07PM

Jukebox Hero

Rainydaywomen,

I love Derek, but if he's the best slide player you've ever heard I highly recommend you check out the original Allmans and the work of one Skydog, aka Duane Allman. The kid's great, but lets remember whose shoes he's filling. Just sayin'. But this album should be great. I also love Joyful Noise (from around 2001 or 2002) in addition to the ones mentioned so far. Very cool Eastern influences.

r0llingst0ned starstarstarstarstar Thu 11/13/2008 08:35PM

r0llingst0ned

Derek Trucks is most definitely one of the sickest guitarists out there today! For all non-believers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmXwlZP4YMU

futhepharmer starstarstarstarstar Thu 11/13/2008 09:16PM

futhepharmer

Derek Trucks....always fresh...never weighs you down...try one today!

fiveyrold Thu 11/13/2008 10:02PM
fiveyrold Thu 11/13/2008 10:05PM

fiveyrold

He is a Sick Guitarist though!

BlowsAgainsttheEmpire Fri 11/14/2008 04:27AM

BlowsAgainsttheEmpire

I've heard some of the tracks on this one and if the rest of the tracks are as good this one will kick Songlines to the curb. I wasn't a huge fan of Songlines as an album overall. My main beef was there were only 4 band originals on the entire album. This one there should be more but we'll see once I get the album sleeve with the credits. Get What You Deserve is INCREDIBLE, I heard it live back in April in Savannah. Joyful Noise from September 2002 was and remains my favorite release by the band to date, it had incredible compositions from front to back. It also included the most original band penned material they have ever released on one album.

BTW, Derek is 29(same as me) for the record. And as for a DT & ST SSR release I wouldn't count on one at all for at least a year or so. Derek and Susans bands are both going to be pushing their bands albums, both on major labels-hers Verve Forecast -his Columbia/Legacy, through touring with each of their individual bands over the next year or so. Plus with what material other than covers??? SSR has no original material. With a studio that David Trucks put together in Derek & Susans backyard I wouldn't be surprised to in the future hear of a SSR record being made though.

BlowsAgainsttheEmpire Fri 11/14/2008 04:34AM

BlowsAgainsttheEmpire

And to add I doubt that Derek Trucks or anyone in the band was consciously thinking about naming things similar to WSP. I mean if you wanted to you could also say that the DTB album Out of the Madness('98) took from Warren's Tales of Ordinary Madness('93) or the Allman Brothers Band song from the Madness of the West(early 80's) but thats rediculous and stretching it really.

phish728 Fri 11/14/2008 06:15AM

I personally would like to see some more Dtrucks and WSP collaboration

clarkythatcher Fri 11/14/2008 08:06AM

clarkythatcher

I agree with jukebox hero that Duane is the the best slide player of all time, but Trucks isnt far behind, and he is continually playing with the best guitarists in the world, and continually honing his skills. The guy is still in his twenties, and it is a safe bet that when his career is over, he WILL be the best guitarist EVER. In my opinion, the three best in the business are Trucks, Haynes, and Herring. It is obvious that the Allman Bros. know how to build them up.

BlowsAgainsttheEmpire Fri 11/14/2008 08:19AM

BlowsAgainsttheEmpire

You left out Jack Pearson, whos slide guitar performances, make both Warren Haynes and Derek Trucks pale in comparison. And I'm a huge Derek Trucks fan. Its just a shame for fans and music lovers that Jack doesnt seem to have the desire to play outside of the Nashville area with any regularity.

overall Fri 11/14/2008 08:48AM

overall

Given that both DTB and ABB are scheduled for Friday of the Xmas Jam, chances are that those lucky enough to get into the private Pre-Jam on Thursday will be treated to hearing Derek in as many as four sets in two nights (not to mention the customary guest sit-in appearances). I can't wait.

tbourke Fri 11/14/2008 11:07AM

tbourke

Looks eerily familiar to WSP most recent album (not saying they are anything alike) Free Somehow=Already free, already fried, down in the flood, walk on the flood...weird.

Dire46daysWolf Fri 11/14/2008 11:36AM

Dire46daysWolf

I can't wait for this album. DTB has such a raw sound that is very hard to acquire. Derek obviously knew what he was doing when getting this band together and thank God he did. Derek we love you man keep pumping out tunes and I look forward to watching you grow for many more years to come. A prodigy is an understatement.

TheJuice starstarstarstarstar Fri 11/14/2008 02:38PM

TheJuice

to the few of you that think derek isnt the greatest slide man ever. He grew up watching dickey and warren every night. duane is the godfather of electric slide but derek mastered his licks a decade ago. He's not trying to be duane. Hes taken it to the next level.

Pretty sure this is opening for the very first mule show @ 15 years of age. Theres a video somewhere out there of 11 year old derek ripping the shit out of a full size SG.

TheJuice starstarstarstarstar Fri 11/14/2008 02:39PM
TheJuice starstarstarstarstar Fri 11/14/2008 02:44PM
TheJuice starstarstarstarstar Fri 11/14/2008 02:47PM

TheJuice

heres 12 year old derek with his own band

TheJuice starstarstarstarstar Fri 11/14/2008 02:59PM
PrinceofDANKNESS Fri 11/14/2008 05:10PM

With all do respect to skydog - Derek is way better and can play many more styles then he ever could....I think if he was alive today he would say the same thing. In my opinion derek is the best guitarist ever that's not named jerry or django. Heaven on earth when he's ripping it.

discocham Fri 11/14/2008 08:46PM

discocham

I'm lookin forward to this one

BlowsAgainsttheEmpire Sat 11/15/2008 04:49AM

BlowsAgainsttheEmpire

Overall y'all have fun in Asheville for the xjam. I won't be going. I'll wait for the DVD or CD to come out(have all 3 so far). I'll be getting my 4 full DTB sets over two nights in Charlotte two weeks from now in a much nicer smaller venue!! The AVL Civic Center sucks, to put it nicely. Had my fill of the xjam in AVL CC in 2001 & 2002, that was enough for me. Thomas Wolfe Mem Aud the year before the 01 jam was MUCH better, imo.

futhepharmer Sun 11/16/2008 09:50AM

futhepharmer

If any of you don't believe that Derek is the best by far, check out the L

"Live at the Beacon Theatre" DVD. Filmed on March 25 & 26 2003, these were some of Dereks first shows with the band, shortly after Dickey was let go. In "Statesboro Blues" Derek pulls of this lick that has both Greg and Warrens heads turning with a look of "Did you fucking hear that?". Seriously, I always rewind at that part, cuz it's always worth a second look. Check it out.

futhepharmer Sun 11/16/2008 02:12PM

futhepharmer

Wow...attack me over here on a different article where you don't even care about the articles content. Oh, and you called me a faggot. How telling.

Glassworks...I hate to tell you bro, but you are probably a closeted homosexual.

People who are uncomfortable with the thought of two people of the same sex having a loving/sexual relationship are probably...see above...closeted homosexuals themselves.

Look inside yourself Glassworks...you know it's true. But it's OK, cause we are caring , kind folks on this scene who will nurture you and help come to grips with what you've always known to be true.

WE'RE THERE FOR YOU BRO!

mgizmo starstarstarstar Sun 11/16/2008 07:45PM

It would be hard to find a bigger Derek Trucks fan than me, but what is the obsession people with saying he is the "best ever" and all that? It's not a contest. I don't disagree but why argue about it? Thanks for posting those youtube links up there. Just for historical perspective, Duane died before his 25th birthday so imagine what might have been...

BlowsAgainsttheEmpire Mon 11/17/2008 07:09AM

BlowsAgainsttheEmpire

Furthefarmer the shows in 2003 at the Beacon were not even close to Derek Trucks first shows as a member of the ABB. He performed his first shows with the ABB in June 1999. Dickey Betts was fired from the ABB in May 2000.

I do agree that the Beacon DVD is good. I just recently read somewhere online(HTN.com, I think) that the Beacon DVD is now OOP, however I don't know if that is accurate or not? Check out Dereks lead playing on Desdemona. I think that is his hottest playing on the entire DVD. I just watched that and the Live at Greatwoods DVD yesterday(the 1991, not the 1998 PPV with Jack Pearson) and the Beacon DVD performance kick the '91 Greatwoods performances ass. Gregg looks like he's on another planet.