Little Feat: Join the Band

-Bill Payne

After George passed away in 1979, the band split up, but they couldn't stay apart for long. Several years later, the group was invited to play in a rehearsal studio in the L.A. Valley that had been redecorated with Little Feat memorabilia and dedicated to George's memory. Surprisingly, all of the band members happened to be in town and ready to christen the studio. Barrere describes the memory, summing up the simple pleasure of playing music that characterizes the group, "We had a jam session, and it was a ton of fun."

Paul Barrere by Hank Randall
"When we put the band back together, we wanted to write a whole bunch of new songs for Let It Roll," continues Barrere. "If it sucked and wasn't near the legacy of the band, we wouldn't pursue it. But Little Feat is timeless; we never had a sound that fit into any moment of time. With [the new song] 'Hate to Lose Your Lovin' and 'Dixie Chicken,' there was no time lapse between them, and we thought, 'We're on the right track.' We're showing a lot of reverence; we still perform a lot of Lowell's material. Every night is a testimonial to his greatness and to the man himself."

They recruited some new members, and the lineup has stayed the same for the past 15 years: Payne (keyboards), Barrere (guitar), Richie Hayward (drums), Fred Tackett (guitar), Sam Clayton (percussion), Kenny Gradney (bass) and vocalist Shaun Murphy, the band's only female player. And they play everything in their catalog, as long as they can do it justice.

"For the band, there were always no rules musically," says Barrere. "Everybody's musical tastes were quite different. Billy started out playing organ in the church, I'd come from playing blues and Kenny and Sam were in soul bands. Richie came from Iowa, and who knows what they listen to there."

Barrere says his "warped sense of humor" is what drew Lowell George to him in the first place, and it is hard to listen to him without a few laughs escaping.

"When it comes to bands, I got a pretty good angle on that," says Payne. "Either you are pulling someone up a hill or being dragged down the hill by them, and sometimes you are perfectly in flow with the other person. We're in a pretty good place right now. We're an extended family, a family that was just extended even more by every artist that performed on this record. Under the umbrella of that family is Lowell George, who I hope is smiling down on these proceedings."

Bill Payne by Hank Randall
From what Barrere and Payne describe, this family is large, tight and fiercely loyal. In fact, on this album George's daughter Inara sings one of his most famous songs, "Trouble."

If Little Feat members are keenly aware of the people who have influenced them, they also consider the influence of their music on other people – and not just other musicians. One of the most powerful tracks on Join The Band is a cover of Woody Guthrie's classic "This Land Is Your Land," a song that Barrere insists people need to hear. "If we don't get Obama elected, it's not my land anymore," he says. The band also performed the song on Late Night With Conan O'Brien on September 22, broadcasting their political message even wider.

"The songs on this record, like 'Time Loves A Hero,' do speak of politics and how we write things," says Payne, the articulate artist. "We're still very actively in the process of evaluating our lives and how we're going to conjure songs that represent what we think and pass it off to people. In this political season, we're asking, 'Are words important?' Barack says, 'Yes, they are important.' The Republicans, and some Democrats, are saying that words aren't that important, but they are exceedingly important."

"Join The Band is a party album. It's fun. But songs like 'Trouble,' I had tears in my eyes at the end. I was there at the studio, which was the first place that Little Feat recorded for Warner Brothers," adds Payne. "Now it's almost 40 years later and I'm recording with Lowell's daughter. That tune is floating around in a time capsule heading toward the stars as you and I speak. It's really lighthearted, but there is some weight to what we do and why we do it."

For Barrere, it's simple.

"Music is supposed to make that good feelin' feelin' good," he says. "If you can get that good feelin' feelin' good, then, baby, don't stop."

Little Feat by Rocky Tornabene

JamBase | The Good Foot
Go See Live Music!

[Published on: 9/25/08]

12All

Comments

DELYEAH starstarstarstarstar Fri 9/26/2008 08:03AM

DELYEAH

I love me some Little Feat! Their first album (Self Titled) is so underrated and incredible!

philhitz Fri 9/26/2008 08:33AM

love early feat -- but if seeing a show today would much rather see the Paul & Fred duo instead of the entire band -- acoustic feat is where it's at & that's all Paul & Fred.

PCPrabbit Fri 9/26/2008 12:41PM

PCPrabbit

waiting for columbus is SIIIIICK. highly recommend it. lowell george is seriously the man. saw them in NYC last year and they played tennessee jed, dark star, so what. friggin great.

salmonite starstarstarstarstar Sat 9/27/2008 09:18AM

Great article Jambase!!! Keep it up!!!

Lowell George was indeed the Rock and Roll doctor. Just saw The Feat in August and had a great time once again. I also taped the show and caught a pretty nice pull. If anyone is interested in a copy, please feel free to email me. papatyler@gmail.com. HOY-HOY!!!

gregboyer starstarstarstar Sat 9/27/2008 09:56PM

I've always loved Little Feat music and always will. Having said that, why do Paul Barrere and all these other musicians I admire (Bobby,Phil,Warren,etc.) have Obama's jizz dripping from their chin. I hate Bush too, but what exactly has Obama accomplished to deserve this ridiculous adulation. Is it that fashionable to worship the messiah. I think I need to go vomit now.

Road To Shambala Mon 9/29/2008 07:19AM

Road To Shambala

Along w/ The Kinks the most under-rated bands of Rock. They still bring it.

breadloaf starstarstarstarstar Mon 9/29/2008 08:00AM

I am often amazed at how few people know the work of Little Feat- I turn folks on to them whenever I can. They were such a nice compliment to the music of the Dead when they were all working so hard in the late 70's and 80's. Lowell George was a one of a kind talent. His songwriting and slide playing were so heartfelt. There are so many funny stories about him as a person. Thanks for the great piece, Olivia, and JamBase.

tob2 Mon 9/29/2008 07:43PM

I still miss Lowell. I can't believe it has been almost 30 years!

thehurricane23 Tue 9/30/2008 12:31PM

thehurricane23

Breadloaf- you are so right...got the chance to see them at Tipitina's for Jazz Fest and it was great. I was getting ready smoking a spliff when I look over and Fred was standing next to me! Most kids just dont know what they are missing.

thehurricane23 Tue 9/30/2008 12:32PM

thehurricane23

Notice by the lack of comments....

C00lmike Tue 9/30/2008 03:38PM

C00lmike

Hay, don't bogart that joint!

In a Big Country Tue 9/30/2008 10:08PM

In a Big Country

What would the music scene be like if alll bands played with the type of enthusiasm that little feat play with stilll chuggin after all theses years.

MyFavBandIsTheBestYoursSucks starstarstarstarstar Wed 10/1/2008 11:42AM

MyFavBandIsTheBestYoursSucks

Great article. Everyone should own the Hotcakes & Outtakes box set. Along with all the Lowell era releases. The new band is pretty good to. Going to the St Paul show 10-24. Give me weed whites & wine.

magsouth starstarstarstarstar Wed 10/1/2008 04:30PM

I've been saying for many years that for my money, Little Feat has to be the greatest American band in rock history. "Waiting for Columbus" easily the best live album ever (close second place - "Allman Bros. at the Fillmore East"). I've been seeing the current lineup for six years or so on a pretty regular basis, and although Lowell's absence is ever present, these guys still just bring it. So many of their songs are just jaw-droppingly awesome. Also, Little Feat are the only band I've ever heard who come anywhere near the level of the Grateful Dead in the art of the jam.

breadloaf starstarstarstarstar Thu 10/2/2008 06:46AM

I am really happy to see some love for Feat here, albeit few visitors. Nice to know that Lowell is not forgotten. Talk about the killer combination of songwriting and musicianship. Certainly some of the greatest songs in the all-time rock catalog, at least for my taste. Nice to see such a positive board, thanks! We remember you, Lowell, always.

sequoiadean starstarstarstarstar Thu 10/2/2008 10:07AM

sequoiadean

Besides casual listening over the years, I got turned on to Little Feat at a show at the Seattle Zoo a couple years ago, and they were a blast! I now try to see them whenever I can (which unfortunately in the San Francisco area is not often enough). Can't wait to see them again at the Great American Music Hall on Nov. 5!

Putnameter starstarstarstarstar Thu 10/2/2008 01:00PM

Putnameter

I grew up listening to Little Feat from a toddler to now (24). They are my favorite band of all time and also my dad's. The current line up is good, but Lowell is truely legendary. His voice and his slide riffs rival Duane Allman, but in a slightly different swampified way. I look forward to listening to the new album. There's nothing like the Feat on vinyl however! Long live Lowell George!!! (don't forget he produced Shakedown Street!!) Great article Jambase!