Las Tortugas Adds Hips, ALO

EMERGING HALLOWEEN WEEKEND FESTIVAL
ADDS MOTHER HIPS AND ALO

Blue Turtle Seduction
Las Tortugas Dance of the Dead III, the annual Halloween soiree in Yosemite at Evergreen Lodge, is very pleased to announce some musical additions to an already stellar lineup. Tortugas veterans ALO will make a rare 2008 appearance. Joining ALO will be The Mother Hips, Trevor Garrod of Tea Leaf Green, Cornmeal, Flowmotion and Tracorum.

These bands will be joining a bill that already includes Tea Leaf Green, Hot Buttered Rum, host band Blue Turtle Seduction, Melvin Seals’ JGB, Lebo, Guitarmageddon and many other great bands and artists.

Taking place from October 30 - November 2, the Thursday night kick off party will include Hot Buttered Rum, The Mother Hips, Lebo and Friends, Blue Turtle Seduction, Poor Man’s Whiskey, Izabella, Wisebird and Dave Stein Bubhub.

Visit here for general info, tickets, and lodging information.

For a taste of last year's Las Tortugas festivities check out JamBase's rave about the weekend.

Comments

drumStark Tue 7/22/2008 10:38AM

drumStark

Why hasn't ALO been anywhere this year? I noticed but never knew the reason.

Steve1515 starstarstarstarstar Tue 7/22/2008 10:45AM

A little band named Jack Johnson has gotten in the way of an ALO tour. Zack Gill is the keyboardist for both bands.

Chapelchilla starstarstarstarstar Tue 7/22/2008 10:46AM

This great little festival just got even better! Halloween in Yosemite, good good stuff.

jasonthehead starstarstarstarstar Tue 7/22/2008 10:49AM

jasonthehead

^^^^^^^^^^^

pretty much a hiatus year for ALO in 2008. Lots of individual projects in the works. For Zach Gill, it's Jack Johnson's world tour, and his own solo album coming out later this month, I think. Dan Lebowitz is working on a solo album and has several dates with his solo group scheduled. Dave Brogan also has a solo album and some solo dates. Steve Adams has been touring and playing with Big Light, Tea Leaf Green, and Dan and Dave too!

ALO did a mini-tour in FEB that was very successful and well-received, plus they have dates at Outside Lands and Las Tortugas coming up, and they kick of 2009 aboard JamCruise! Look for bigger and better things from ALO in 2009, as well as from each member of the band!

And BTW, Las Tortugas looks like one of the best musical events to happen in CA this year, next to High Sierra Music Fest and Outside Lands. Damn, I wish I could be there!

AZ~*Droo* Tue 7/22/2008 10:51AM

AZ~*Droo*

CORNMEAL!!! hell yes. im glad to see they'er making they're way out west since they're awesome sets at high sierra! i cant wait

Natey starstarstarstarstar Tue 7/22/2008 10:53AM

Natey

The best festival of the year (being on my home turf makes me biased)...if you like intimate settings with the bands you know and love!! It gets better every year....hopefully it doesn't get too big!!! The Evergreen Staff/Blue Turtle folks make this one of the most memorable events you could ever have. If only Nathan Moore was convinced to come out....he'd have a blast!!

adventuresinperception starstarstarstarstar Tue 7/22/2008 11:09AM

adventuresinperception

2 nights of tea leaf and trevor garrod gospel sunday. Wow, that sounds like the greatest thing ever. Oh whats that?? theres a bunch more great bands AND its in yosemite...yeah, melt my face

drumStark Tue 7/22/2008 11:18AM

drumStark

Thanks for all that info.

fordaj starstarstarstarstar Tue 7/22/2008 11:50AM
ManyRoads starstarstarstarstar Tue 7/22/2008 12:50PM

ManyRoads

I'm not into most jambands, BUT I stay open...and just happen to love all of the bands in this line-up. That along with the small size, location, and great vibes may make this one of the best events in the COUNTRY this year.

RoadNotTaken starstarstarstarstar Tue 7/22/2008 01:22PM

Let the haters hate (i.e. fordaj) - it keeps them from ruining our good times. This is a very special festival for a multitude of reasons (location, people/scene, MUSIC, time of year, etc.). If you've been there, then you know it. So many of the uninitiated disrespect High Sierra, too, and their ignorance is what keeps it a wonderfully tight vibe. Have fun at Boner-zoo, or whatever anonymous extravaganza. I'll be groovin in the woods with my people. PeaceLove.

moephishH2O starstarstarstarstar Tue 7/22/2008 01:22PM

moephishH2O

Oh hell yeah! Can't Wait!!!

fordaj Tue 7/22/2008 01:27PM
strangefolkphan8 starstarstarstarstar Tue 7/22/2008 01:53PM

fordaj, why the fuck would you compare this to outside lands? it kills me how many ignorant jackasses post the stupidest shit on here all the time. This fest sounds really awesome, wish there was something similar on the east coast. Tea Leaf, Trevor Garrod AND Guitarmageddon...very heavy on the Leaf...I like!

kestrel starstarstarstarstar Tue 7/22/2008 04:40PM

kestrel

As someone who has gone to the past three years of Halloween at Yosemite (starting in 2005 with Hot Buttered Rum's Harvest Meltdown, Brett Dennen and Blue Turtle Seduction were the two other bands), I have to say that this is one of the most magical and memorable festivals around. It's tiny- so you constantly are running into everyone there including band members, it's beautiful- fall in Yosemite is incredible!, there is a great, fun vibe- none of that weird tweeker feeling that often happens at larger festivals, plus it simply gets better and better every year. Honestly, not to be missed. Anyone else who has gone I'm sure would agree.

Chaloupka Tue 7/22/2008 05:02PM

Chaloupka

The Mother Hips!!

OaksterDan Tue 7/22/2008 11:31PM

OaksterDan

Went last year for the first time and had a great time. ALO played past 4:30am the first night. ALO & Tea Leaf Green on friday night back to back. I didn't stay for the rest of the weekend since family was visiting from the east coast. Good vibe, good people the only downer was 28 mile 40 minute drive from Yosemite Pines cabin to the Evergreen Lodge. Maybe I can bribe the Groveland bus to go 1 mile out of it's way to pick me up this year? Although after ALO finished around 4:45am last year driving back on evergreen road with the sun coming up I came across a mother black bear and her cubs crossing the road and when I got back to cabin there was a family of deer in front of my cabin. Outside Lands (sunday only) a Las Tortugas "Dance of the Dead" two things I'm looking forward too. Where else are you going to see good bands play at a lodge in one of the 10 best national parks in the world???????????????

sschaffner starstarstarstar Wed 7/23/2008 08:47AM

sschaffner

fordaj = douche! sorry, i usually like to keep it positive on here, but you posted one of the biggest asshole comments i've ever seen on jambase. congratulations on contributing nothing to this post. i would go to this festival simply to see cornmeal, those guys have been ripping up stages everywhere they go.

Falcor starstarstarstarstar Wed 7/23/2008 10:56AM

Falcor

booked my cabin and bought my tix yesterday...so excited to be making it out this year...

RedHeaven starstarstarstarstar Wed 7/23/2008 06:11PM

RedHeaven

4th year for me!! Its great to see it blossom. It works like a charm at the Evergreen! I dont know how we got so lucky in this life to get a festival like this with a handful of my favorite bands with a miraculous community...cant take that for granted! Its all too much...too much....Blue Turtle are great hosts and are one of a kind in sound, and its awesome to see Butter get back in touch with this super soup. Cornmeal addition just opened up a can of whoop ass! (and turned the hearty soup into dinner)

Its a sweet feeling: Halloween has turned into Surreal Rock and Roll Yosemite Style.

BEARS!!!

acomma Wed 7/23/2008 09:54PM

acomma

schaffner, what exactly does anyone contribute?

acomma Wed 7/23/2008 09:58PM

acomma

and you know, I've never listened to Cornmeal, but my friend who does not listen to bluegrass saw them and was diggin' it. Props to them and I need to catch me a show.

ResumeMan starstarstarstarstar Wed 7/23/2008 10:12PM

The Mother freakin' Hips! Love em. I could go for an ice cold Song in A Can right now!

Teabagger starstarstarstarstar Thu 7/24/2008 07:39AM

Teabagger

This festival is going to be awesome! The lineup is absolutely incredible. I'm there!