GD Sound Engineer Talks DSO

LEGENDARY ENGINEER/PRODUCER AND LONGTIME
GRATEFUL DEAD SOUND DESIGNER TALKS DARK STAR

DSO
Dan Healy, the behind-the-scenes maestro involved with such masterpieces as Blues For Allah, Quicksilver Messenger Service's Shady Grove, Kingfish's 1976 self-titled debut, Jerry Garcia's Reflections and many many more, has posted an heartfelt, illuminating essay about touring with Dark Star Orchestra. Check it out HERE.

DSO's "Swingin' West Tour" begins on April 11th at the Vilar Performing Arts Center in Beaver Creek, CO.

Swingin' West Tour Dates
Tue Apr 29 - Great American Music Hall [San Francisco, CA]
Wed Apr 30 - Great American Music Hall [San Francisco, CA]
Fri May 02 - Crystal Ballroom [Portland, OR]
Sat May 03 - Crystal Ballroom [Portland, OR]
Sun May 04 - McDonald Theater [Eugene, OR]

[Published on: 4/6/08]

Comments

Muffinman1 Sun 4/6/2008 12:52PM

Muffinman1

I still can't figure out why this band gets so much attention. Go ahead and give me the thumbs down but, they are a cover band. It's cool that they carry on a very rich tradition, but what is the big deal about them? Call me a hater or negative, but it's my opinion. At 10klf, they have Phil, Mickey, and DSO. Isn't that Dead spinoff overkill? I love Phil and Bobby, (Phil more) and love the Dead for that matter, but come on, I don't think cover bands like this deserve the amount of attention that they receive. I'm too young to have ever seen Jerry, so Phil is the next best thing, which is great, and I've seen DSO, and even I know it's not the same. Can't wait for Phil at Rothbury!

schoolzside starstarstarstar Sun 4/6/2008 02:10PM

schoolzside

They RECREATE grateful dead experiences. They take an actual dead show, play it to the exact note, exact vocal, exact tuning, exact mess ups. exactly everything. so muffin man, they get the attention, because they have an unbelievable amount of talent, and they deserve recognition. To learn 18 entire shows for a tour. nutz. so yes, they are technically a cover band, but it's a different kind of cover.

T. Ralph starstarstar Sun 4/6/2008 02:34PM

I'm sorry, but these guys are a tribute band. They are not something to give props to, or even seriously give reviews of their "art." Saw them in Atlanta a month or so ago and had to make myself stay to see if the "magical" part of some reviews I've read would come out. They did not. After playing 3-4 Bob Dylan songs, and even another cover or two, I felt like I was at a fraternity party and not at a Grateful Dead re-enactment. I do not think that there is any "talent" in taking something and trying to copy it to the "exact" note. I bet it is not as "exact" as you think schoolz, and I wonder why these guys are held in such high regard. I've seen better Dead cover bands.

Maybe I caught them on a bad night, but, even so, they are "making" it because old Deadheads want to relive those days/years...it is a social thing, not a creative thing. And hey, maybe there's nothing wrong with that.

philzone7374 Sun 4/6/2008 02:37PM

they are a COVER band, not THE GRATEFUL DEAD!!!!!!!!!!!! its absolutely f'd up that they get this much credit and $30 bucks a ticket!!!!!!!!!!!

Tpetty Sun 4/6/2008 02:38PM

Tpetty

DSO dosnt do show dead shows note-for-note, they use shows for their setlists, and theyre year(for sound). The jams and stuff are improv obviously....But yes DSO is damn good...

ajchjc starstarstar Sun 4/6/2008 02:46PM

If cover bands are so bad please consider this. when was the last time you saw a "setlist" from the new york philharmonic that included a piece from anyone playing in the "Band"? if it weren't for covers I couldn't hear live songs from anyone who died or bands that broke-up.I've seen DSO from the start and they deserve all the success they get.GO WINGNUT!

tweeeker Sun 4/6/2008 02:51PM

DSO gets so much attention because they're that damn good. Yeah, technically they are a cover band but they still make phil and friends look more like the cover band IMO

danpfunk starstarstarstar Sun 4/6/2008 02:57PM

They get attention because the Grateful Dead are the alpha and omega of this entire scene. Don't get me wrong, I only saw the Dead once, but if you don't get that the music of the Dead is timeless American music, and the whole reason why this website and message boards even exists is because of them, then you got alot to learn. 100 years from now bands will still be playing their songs, I don't think you can say that about too many other bands.

allovernow starstarstarstarstar Sun 4/6/2008 04:21PM

I think the main reason folks don't like DSO is because they can't stand the fact that they create GREAT MUSIC. What they hell is wrong with that. Music is music it does not matter at all who is playing it. Some of you are hung up on the persona and don't know how to listen anymore. Also they are very popular, you ask why? Well it's because they ROCK each and every night. You don't like um don't go why do people care so much what they do? I'll tell you why it because they ARE successful and it drives people crazy! DSO is GREAT in my book!

RambleOnShelbyRose Sun 4/6/2008 04:22PM

RambleOnShelbyRose

What is with this hate for DSO, it seems every time there is any news about them there is some hate. What is your definition of a cover band, is it a band that plays material written by another band? what is it? because i think that while you may subtract some credit for originality in songwriting you must appreciate the musical skill involved in doing what they do (recreating an experience down to the instrument that were played). If anybody is a cover band it's phil who's only good contributions to writing the material is box of rain and potato caboose; at least bobby wrote playing in the band and a couple of other classics. Just saying that it's pretty damn shabby to be hating on DSO because the way that i look at it, it might be better then seeing the dead right now (even if jerry was alive), i think the dead towards the end had some great shows but it's not like they were writing great bulk new material, and they keep it in the same spirit they never claim to be the dead, but they know that they do a damn good job of recreating moments in history that many of us couldn't be alive to see

blower starstarstarstarstar Sun 4/6/2008 05:13PM

Playing somebody else's music in its entirety makes them a cover band. That is an undeniable fact, whether they are good or not. DSO are great

musicians and have a great appreciation for the GD. People love the GD so they come out and see them. They are not artists creating art, but are rather musicians performing an act like a broadway musician performing a play. Good for them they make a living doing what they want and they are good at it. I won't pay that much to see them, but that is just me.

But to for some of you, like Selo34, to disrespect Phil Lesh and Jerry to by equating this band to the real thing is frankly an insult to all Deadheads and music lovers really. Jerry at his worst was leagues above DSO and most musicians really. The only people claiming otherwise are the young punk ass chumps on jambase that never got the see the real thing and are trying to make up that fact. DSO does not recreate anything close to the real thing and can't play or sing like Jerry, nor play bass to Dead tunes like Phil. Saying so only proves you never saw the Grateful Dead and have no clue.

Phil was there the whole time, he was a Merry Prankster, did the acid tests, Woodstock, Kesey's farm. He played bass on all of the GD music and you call him a cover band. Ever heard, Pride of Cuca.. ,Dark Star, Unbroken Chain,etc... Phils new lineup kills it and the main reason is because they are doing there own thing not trying to recreate what once was. Jerry is dead so move along.

Yes I appreciate the talent of DSO, but Phil and Jerry were and are true musical geniuses.

cliftonhanger420 starstarstarstarstar Sun 4/6/2008 06:02PM

i've seen a few GD cover bands and these guys are by far the best. they let some of us younger folks, see what it was like to experience a 72' show or whatever. that is amazing. i've only seen GD 7 times & JGB 1, so i like to go back in time warps every once in awhile and see what it was like to see an old GD show. that's what these guys do. anybody says that they are not talented are deaf or don't listen to GD. these guys do sound alot like the GD, more then bobby, phil, or any other recreation today. don't get me wrong, i've seen about 25+ post GD family shows and it's always a blast, but DSO brings out the oldschool. bobby even said it himself that he doesn't want to be a GD cover band and there are people out there doing it better. i've seen the DSO a few times and if you close your eyes, you can imagine, you just have to let yourself be open to it. they do recreate setlist, but they don't play them note for note like schoolzside says, that would be nearly impossible for anyone to do. i do think their lead guitarist does a hell of a young Jerry and their rhythm guitarist tries real hard to play bobby. i think they are somewhat of a novelty act, but i'd go see them any day of the week. You people all need to remember that the Grateful Dead was the biggest cover band of its' time. i say good for them. DSO please come to western NY or Erie, PA, please.

eTourist starstarstarstar Sun 4/6/2008 06:16PM

eTourist

Ok, it's all about me. When I go to a DSO show I enjoy myself and the people around me are also enjoying themselves. That's really all that matters. I don't think anyone's disrespecting Jerry or Phil when they point that the music transcends the musicians. I want to hear the music played live and DSO does a very good job at doing it.

This whole "cover band" thing is just a bit silly. How many originals did Janis Joplin sing? Or, for the more classically minded, is the New York Philharmonic Orchestra just a cover band because they play Beethoven and Mozart?

philzone7374 Sun 4/6/2008 06:50PM

dso should get off their high horses, stop travelling around in that $200,000 tour bus,and stop cashing in on "recreating". And seriously people, STOP comparing dso to THE GRATEFUL DEAD cuz they arent, never were, and will never be!!! LONG LIVE PHIL, BOBBY, MICKEY, BILLY,DONNA JEAN, AND PHIL!!!

philzone7374 Sun 4/6/2008 06:53PM

MISS U JERRY!!!!!!!!! MISS U PIG PEN!!!!!!!! MISS U KEITH!!!!!!! MISS U BRENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SOAM84 Sun 4/6/2008 10:03PM
Muffinman1 Mon 4/7/2008 03:11AM
‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^› {¬¿¬} starstarstarstar Mon 4/7/2008 04:12AM

you bashers should get up there and try it yourself if its not such a big deal. Like to see you rip some jerry solos!!! huh??? what?? you cannot??

thought so!!!

rhythmic_randomness Mon 4/7/2008 05:06AM

I think someone hit the nail on the head in the above. The Grateful Dead played COUNTLESS covers. COUNTLESS! DSO so loved the music of the Dead that they dedicated themselves to it. If anything, it was probably the fans that led to their prominence in the domain of Dead cover bands, not something that they claimed about themselves. If you disciplined yourself to learn something that you loved and received recognition for it, I'd think you deserved it. If you want to rip someone down, do it to yourself. The best thing that anyone of us can do to be productive is understand what is ugly within us, remove it and try to convey maybe just a shred more light to an absolute overabundance of negative thinking. It's all too easy to cling to jealousy when you are void of talent. If you can't be talented, at least try to support those who are.

snappy Mon 4/7/2008 06:22AM

snappy

Anybody actually check out what Dan Healy, a man directly involved with the Grateful Dead in an intimate way, has to say about DSO in the essay?

rhythmic_randomness Mon 4/7/2008 06:32AM

I did, Snappy. Here's an excerpt. "This “Orchestra” also deals with music I know a lot about. The time, hard work, devotion and love invested in these songs exceeds any others and is truly “homage” to the original. One of the natural laws of society is the law of eminent domain. When I was a youngster my sister had a bicycle she never rode. I rode it every day and by eminent domain it was my bike which is simply how life works. The tradition of playing these songs could not be in better hands which now belong to Dark Star Orchestra."

Buddy BadVibes Mon 4/7/2008 06:58AM

Buddy BadVibes

I have a friend who LOVES DSO. He's always telling me, "you need to check out the Dead, guy." I say, 'Sammy, they're not the Dead, they are a COVER band." He shakes his head in dismay and says, "guy, I think you'd change your mind if you saw the dead."

RJ Mon 4/7/2008 07:17AM

DSO does NOT play shows note for note, the play setlists. DSO is a fun night out, that is now overpriced.

Tpetty Mon 4/7/2008 07:18AM

Tpetty

Theyre certainly not the Grateful Dead, but they are very talented musicians with a great passion and respect for the music they play. I know plenty of old deadheads that love DSO...

guitardave starstarstar Mon 4/7/2008 08:12AM

guitardave

Having seen the real thing 50+ times, I will probably never pay money to see these guys. I think ultimately, they just prove a theorem: If you can replicate something that millions of people enjoyed well enough, perhaps you can get thousands of them to appreciate it.

kirkbrew starstarstar Mon 4/7/2008 08:54AM

kirkbrew

I clicked on this to see if it was about Healy or Bear (or someone else). Those guys did amazing things.

As for DSO, they are great. I caught them once. It was fun and they are really good. But still a cover band. And not worth $30.

That is the problem these days. So much art is a replica. Some a good replica, some crap, but a replica all the same. It is a shame when the lack of originality is celebrated to this extent. I'd rather see so-so original music than the world’s best cover band.

allovernow starstarstarstarstar Mon 4/7/2008 09:20AM

What all you na sayers don't get is The music the grateful dead created is based around free flowing jams. You can't copy that. DSO is great because they can Jam and Jam hard. You don't like um don't go. You don't like the ticket prices don't go. Phil asking 65 bucks is the outrage here. Rock on DSO. Oh and I started seeing the Dead in 76'.... DSO makes me feel good and there is nothing wrong with that.

ao1 starstarstarstarstar Mon 4/7/2008 09:27AM

ao1

well......this is ridiculous......I can't believe how much fuckin hate is on this board.......it's stupid....If you guys have actually seen this band live, you would know how talented they are.....It's not like they are trying to steal the deads music by any means.....every show they credit the dead, saying how it wouldnt be possible without jerry, bobby, phil, etc......they are all first class musicians, who put on a first class show......

EVILFUNK star Mon 4/7/2008 09:40AM

EVILFUNK

what happened to the tapes dan? your job? Micheal shur does sweat & shift & act shady when he talks about the break in...shady!!! DSO ~ how many shows a year? how many $30 tickets? what did the old keyboardist do with his cut?

Andy starstarstarstarstar Mon 4/7/2008 10:48AM

Andy

DSO shows are just fun. For those of us that did not get to see the real Dead it is really nice to see the re-creations by DSO. I think it is really cool what they do. It brings out a lot of old dead heads, and several people I know that did follow the dead for years are always very excited to see DSO. I've seen way more old school dead heads at DSO than any Ratdog, Mickey Hart, or Phil show.

T. Ralph starstarstar Mon 4/7/2008 10:59AM

I went to the recent Atlanta show at the Variety. It was a sold out show. Afterwards me, and the 10 or so friends that I have been to COUNTLESS shows with, and who's opinion on music and concerts I respect, all agreed that we felt RIPPED OFF. I thought I was going to see something incomparable in the "Grateful Dead Cover Band" genre....and I received a flat, uninspired, performance by a band. Met a lot of cool people, for sure, but the actual performance (though played by great musicians) was WEAK.

rustfinger Mon 4/7/2008 11:09AM

rustfinger

yes DSO is a cover band but who cares, they put on a great show and everyone seems to be having a blast. it's not like they're making a killing off of the deads music b/c a good chunk of those $30 tickets probably goes to jerry garcia's estate and the rest of the members of the dead.

philzone7374 Mon 4/7/2008 11:27AM
Shmo-Kaine star Mon 4/7/2008 11:27AM

Shmo-Kaine

DSO isn't the dead, you're all right. But Neither is Phil & Friends, Ratdog,or Mickey Hart band! I don't hear anybody bitching when Gov't Mule does a cover or any other band for that matter.

allovernow starstarstarstarstar Mon 4/7/2008 12:10PM

You don't want to pay money to see a DSO show then DON'T. Why do you care so much what they do if you don't like them. There are PLENTY of folks who LOVE them. Why not focus your negative energy on something more positive. Some of you sound like spoiled brats with your hate. I'm a huge dead head and I LOVE DSO for all they do for our scene and community. They give back more then any other band on the road. I read that last years west coast tour they donated over 25,000 dollars to the REX Foundation. What other touring bands are giving back like DSO. The answer is NONE! DSO Rules............ Thanks Dan Healy for your insight!

Smittea starstarstar Mon 4/7/2008 12:22PM

Smittea

just like me -- ....and I received a flat, uninspired, performance by a band.

Hey, they do "faithful reproductions". Maybe that was a show that where the Dead was off too... :)

I have found that if you close your eyes, you can almost imagine being at a Dead concert. It is when you open them again that the truth kicks in. Definitely a good band, just not worth my $30.00. Sorry.

kirkbrew Mon 4/7/2008 02:15PM

kirkbrew

ao1 - This is no hate. Just a bunch of people wondering the hum-bub over a cover band. And I have seen them live. And they are talented. Just like some artist are good at copying sculptures or paintings. But DSO are obviously not capable of originality (at least in terms of song writing). I value originality over andy copy - even a good one. That's me.

"What other touring bands are giving back like DSO. The answer is NONE!"

Actually - lots.

Neil Young (Bridge School),

Wilco (one show at Millennium Park in raised over $75,000 for the Chicago Coalition for the Homeless. Tweedy regularly does solo shows for charity and all their poster sales have raised thousands for charities all over the country).

River starstarstarstarstar Mon 4/7/2008 03:12PM

River

you kids are looosers man i sat here in classs reading this shit. SHITS WEAK!!!

climb2safety09 starstarstarstar Mon 4/7/2008 04:58PM

climb2safety09

they even play with equipment that was around during the show they are playing...thats tight

richromeo starstarstarstarstar Mon 4/7/2008 06:47PM

In response to everybody's comments here's my two cents:

~ Everyone above who shoots down DSO seems to have never seen them or only seen them once. C'mon, the GD, Phish, etc., didn't have uninspired nights that fell flat? Maybe you caught ONE weak night, where the band played ok but the whole vibe wasn't there. This last Saturday's WSP show in NYC was like that for me. All shows are not created equal.

~ No originality? Then you definitely haven't seen them more than once. Like someone else said they play entire SETLISTS, using only the sound of the year to guide them. They do not recreate flubs, banter, solos, etc. The originality is in how they decide to play the setlists, the improv PLAYING, the JAMS. These guys had serious musical backgrounds prior to and outside of the band.

~ and that brings me to the big one: these guys hearts are in the right place. They are far from living high on the hog from what I've seen anyway. Someone asked what the old keyboard player did with his cut, I have no idea what that meant, but I did get to know Scott Larned, the Sandwich Man, briefly, and he was a guy who lived simply, was dedicated to all that's good about the jam scene, and made what seemed more of a sacrifice by spending time on the road away from his daughter who meant the world to him than he was making a quick buck off the Dead's legacy.

These guys all seem like seriously good, down to earth people, doing charitable work and the best damn job they can to create joy for a lot of grateful people. I hope they continue to do so for years.

To take a different twist on an old Bill Graham saying

"They're not the only one's who do what they do.

They're the best at what they do."

RothburyWithCheese starstarstarstarstar Mon 4/7/2008 07:12PM

RothburyWithCheese

these guys rule!!! I have seen them6 times and will see them again a few times this summer. The Dead are my 2nd favorite group after the Beatles. That being said when DSO covers a show post 1983 they sound better than the Dead did during the original. I just listened to absolute trainwreck of a show. It's a Dicks Picks #17 from the Boston Garden from 9-25-92. It was really terrible. oh Just to add Victim or the Crime is the worst Dead song ever. I rather listen to Space or even Barbed Wire Whipping Party over that horrid slop. See all you DSO fans for some Thursday night shredding at the 'Roo and then off to AllGood!!!

Tpetty Mon 4/7/2008 07:41PM

Tpetty

I agree with you 100% richromeo...

rhythmic_randomness Tue 4/8/2008 05:14AM

People think that because they've had more exposure to something that it makes them more qualified or more entitled to complain about it. Those who THINK themselves to sit at the top of this "jam" scene peer down their noses, knowing that they have the bragging rights of having several tens to hundreds, to thousands of shows under their belts opposed to the few that a newcomer has. It's what makes me friggin sick of the scene(not the music). I've only begun to wet my toes with the sounds of DSO but the fact that they bring some enjoyment in to the lives of so many IS an established credit to what they are capable of. Deadheads, Phishheads and all heads alike can't summarize what it is that a band can symbolize. You don't need to be a person who lives on the road, following a band or centers their world around music to have validity in what you say. Each persons individualized experience has a credit to who they've become. It's you overly self-accredited egotists who think your two cents spends any better than anyone else's that need to wake up. If indeed the scene is decaying, it is as a result of you, who think it is yours to define. If somebody's music can not be a catalyst to you, then why waste your energy thinking about it?

moeron221 Tue 4/8/2008 05:43AM

No one is saying that they're as talented or as original as the dead. They're just saying that it's great that there is a band that can recreate the atmosphere and music of the dead for people in my position, who weren't old enough to see the grateful dead.

wafflehouse26 Tue 4/8/2008 08:58AM

wafflehouse26

i completely agree with what everyone has said about closing your eyes and just enjoying the music. i don't go to a DSO show and tell myself i'm seeing the Grateful Dead live, i go because they are amazing musicians who can recreate the sound of one of my favorite bands, and who wouldn't rather here great music live than coming out of shitty headphones or a stereo? and as someone else said, DSO is not trying to be the next Grateful Dead, they give the Dead credit and only do what they do in honor of them, they're not trying to steal the fame or spotlight.

Buddy BadVibes Tue 4/8/2008 10:45AM

Buddy BadVibes

Buddha says "If you cannot have the entire ocean, take refuge in a drop of water."

cmkauf Tue 4/8/2008 01:05PM

Anyone complaining about dark star or ANY live band, simply doesn't get it.

The Jam scene at it's core is meant to bring people together through good music. Don't forget the Dead covered many songs NIGHTLY at their shows. We've never faulted them for doing this. They did it to bring other artists whom we might never have known to us, to expand our musical tastes.

ChitownShakeDown Tue 4/8/2008 04:30PM

I like going to the shows, the prices are rediulous but it gives me a chance to dance and pretend i was around for the real dead ( im only 20 ) the only dead show i saw was in 04.. BUT.. me and my buddy argue this point, he bought some DS0 cd's for some reason, and i think its SUPER lame of them to even sell a recording of them playing the dead... i mean if they are able to recreate the dead exactly.. BUY A DEAD CD!!! WTF!!!! trusties FTL!

allovernow starstarstarstarstar Tue 4/8/2008 04:56PM

As far as I know there has only been 4 cd's ever sold by DSO in 10+ years. I've also heard they pay Ice Nine publishing all the required money up front for every CD they produce. Sounds to me like they are acting very professionally.

ChitownShakeDown Tue 4/8/2008 07:43PM

i just said it was a bad idea.. but now that i think about it. i see why they charge 30 for a ticket. because thats where all their cash comes from... anyway.. i would never buy a dso cd.

mindmusic90 Tue 4/8/2008 08:27PM

mindmusic90

I don't know what y'all are talking about. Everytime I go to a dark star show, people are groovin' and having a good time. We live in a time where pure celebration without worry is a rare thing. People get down to the DSO. They provide an opportunity for us to groove and have a good time with kindred spirits when there aren't any others. If people like it, let em see the show. If you don't, feel free to miss out.

P.S.

Check out this Stranger jam...

RastaVore Tue 4/8/2008 08:31PM

RastaVore

I went to see DSO one time, and even though I knew going in that they were a cover band, I gave them a fair shot. What annoyed me was that there were actually tapers at their shows. If they play Dead shows perfectly, then why would you need to tape the show? Just get the tape of the ACTUAL DEAD SHOW! Right? Too much energy, time, and $$$ to go to see a cover band.

mindmusic90 Tue 4/8/2008 09:04PM

mindmusic90

Well, it's always pretty fun to listen to a show you were at. it makes listening to it in the future that much better because it brings back memories.

A.P. MacAusland starstarstarstarstar Wed 4/9/2008 12:01AM

A.P. MacAusland

lately it occurs to meeeeeeeeeeeeeeee what a lonnnnnnnnnngggggggg strange trips its been

HelpSlipFrank starstarstarstarstar Thu 4/10/2008 05:12PM

I Saw these guys for the first time this spring in Minneapolis. Let me preface my opinion by saying the Grateful Dead will always be my favorite band as I forever drift back to the days of my youth when I took the time to see them 80+ times in the last eleven years of Jerry's too-short life. Nothing could replace the genuine article. The Grateful Dead invented the Grateful Dead and, along with their fans, the mind-blowing scene that surrounded them. That being said, DSO, on the night I saw them at the Guthrie Theater were pretty damn good. If the band I saw that night as they reworked a Dead Set era show was actually the Grateful Dead and not DSO it would have been one of the most well played Dead shows I'd attended. The jams were sharp, bright and right on. The lyrics were remembered and delivered on tune. The band referenced the fact that the Dead Members were doing that Deadheads for Obama thing and were very reverent to the Band when doing so. I wouldn't trade those 85-95 shows for anything, but most often they weren't the sharp, brilliantly innovative notes and melodies of the preceding decades. This one DSO show (and maybe they're not always this good/only one man's opinion) seemed to somehow capture that spot-on musicianship of the preceding decades in a live music format. I took them to be big Dead fans playing great music with the reverence and attention to detail the music deserves. I really liked these guys and would see them again. If I were young I might take in a weeks worth and see how that felt. Whether or not they're a cover band doesn't have a bearing on whether I can enjoy their performance. Sometimes it's best not to judge a book by it's "cover." Try it, you just might like it.

guitardave starstarstar Fri 4/11/2008 01:18PM

guitardave

This board brings me back to when I used to see the Zen Tricksters in the late 80s early 90s. They were THE shit when it came to covering the Dead. They were probably the only band on the Eastern Seaboard playing Help> Slip> Franklin's, Doing that rag, Alligator, Unbroken Chain, Dark Star,

etc. They were (are) great and me and my buddies had an awesome time every time out because they rocked! That being said, there was always the simple fact that they were REPLICATING the Dead. Then I saw Phish at the Paradise in Boston, a band who did Dead covers once upon a time and went on to create some of the greatest ORIGINAL jam music ever. Guess which band we latched onto after that?

fredk57 starstarstarstarstar Sat 4/12/2008 03:42PM

I got into the dead during the Brent years and went to many shows in the 90's. Unfortunatly they were stadiums and not music halls. DSO now gives me the opportunity to see those succulent 70's shows in smaller venues with like minded heads. This middle aged man would gladly pay $50 a pop to see these hard touring musicians perform. I absolutly love these guys for what they do and appreciate them for it. They are professional in all aspects. If you don't like them then stay away while I dance my ass off to a killer St. Stephen. DSO rules! ....and I think Lisa is cute!

weathercommand starstarstarstarstar Tue 4/22/2008 07:56AM

Lets see! Every living GD band member has played with DSO except for Phil (yet?). Donna and Bobby have played with DSO on several occasions! Healy has mixed their sound for better part of a recent tour including a couple shows at the Fillmore in SF( Oct. 07' ) where Bobby sat in as well.I have seen the GD 250 times and DSO 150 times to this point! I ABSOLUTELY love DSO! They never take a night off, ever!!! The amount of effort it takes to tour the country and keep the spirit alive is HUGE! If you want to call them a cover band, that is fine! I cannot argue the fact. I can tell you that they make a lot of kind people very happy and give us the GD sound we want to hear. They are good people who love the music as much as I do...My GD music desires disappeared a couple years before Jerry died due to the band's health and the overall scene. The first time I heard DSO, the music was brought back to life in a form I could relate to. Not only is the music awesome, the intimate scene at their shows is appealing for an old guy like me :-)

bdub Thu 4/24/2008 10:16AM

Anybody know what "show" they played in SLC on 4/22?

weathercommand Sun 4/27/2008 06:37PM

broome county arena, binghamton, ny 4/83

rickycycles starstarstarstarstar Sat 5/3/2008 06:48PM

rickycycles

I saw the grateful dead play 75 times jgb 35 times ...

these guys are great .. I saw them play twice in la at the el rey theatre ..

awesome shows ... first night original set list .. heard songs I never heard in concert ..

and as much as I loved jerry , this guitar player is not looped , his mood and and playing is not off or on .. with jerry we lived in the cult of his personality .. with this band we are just enjoying the music .. it rocks and it is here, jerry is not ..

$%#$$^ on those haters who just do not understand ...

Mike C Wed 6/25/2008 11:42AM

Hello everyone. This is my first post on Jambase. I've seen the Dead 30 something times, Jerry Garcia Band a few times, Weir & Wasserman, etc. I saw Jerry play in Orlando his last tour....After Jerry passed, I was no longer interested in seeing Ratdog or anything Dead related at all....Just wasn't the same to me. A few months ago, a friend of mine talked me into going to DSO at the Freebird Live in Jax Beach....All I can say is that it was absolutely incredible, I was in awe. It brought back so many incredible memories...I can't wait to see them again.