DSO Rex Caravan Tour

'DSO Rex Caravan Tour' Continues
The Grateful Dead's Music & Philanthropy
with Dark Star Orchestra & The Rex Foundation

Dark Star Orchestra
Critically acclaimed for the live embodiment of the Grateful Dead's music and spirit, Dark Star Orchestra is partnering with the Rex Foundation to personify another quintessential aspect of America's most-loved live band. With the 'DSO Rex Caravan Tour' Dark Star Orchestra is creating a model to further the Grateful Dead tradition started 24 years ago: tapping into the entire concert community of musicians, promoters, producers and fans to help the Rex Foundation support great grassroots programs across the U.S. and internationally. Beginning with its performance at Seattle's Showbox Wednesday, September 26, and continuing through their entire month-long fall tour, Dark Star Orchestra will contribute $1 of each ticket sold to the Grateful Dead-founded Rex Foundation. DSO will also be providing a venue for Rex's Community Caravan, a grassroots contribution campaign encouraging people to get involved with philanthropy through a donation of $5 or more.

In the fall of 1983, friends and members of the Grateful Dead established the Rex Foundation as a non-profit charitable organization that enabled them to proactively provide extensive community support to creative endeavors in the arts, sciences, and education. Since 1984 the Rex Foundation has granted $8.2 million to some 1,000 recipients. The Rex Foundation mission is to help secure a healthy environment, promote individuality in the arts, provide support to critical and necessary social services, assist others less fortunate than ourselves, protect the rights of indigenous people and ensure their cultural survival, build a stronger community, and educate children and adults everywhere.

Dark Star Orchestra performs Grateful Dead classics in the same way that an orchestra interprets music of classical composers. The composer spirit is derived and channeled in the live setting as the players capture the excitement and innovation of the original performances and compositions.

"A couple of times when I had my back to John [Kadlecik] onstage and he started to sing, I had this weird sense that it was Jerry." – Bob Weir, Grateful Dead co-founder/vocalist/guitarist

"Playing with Dark Star Orchestra is something that feels just exactly like it felt when I was playing with the Grateful Dead." – Donna Jean Godchaux MacKay, Grateful Dead vocalist

Made up of Rob Barracco (multiple keyboardists), Rob Eaton (Bob Weir), Dino English (Bill Kreutzmann), John Kadlecik (Jerry Garcia), Rob Koritz (Mickey Hart), Lisa Mackey (Donna Jean Godchaux), and Kevin Rosen (Phil Lesh), Dark Star Orchestra does not try to match Grateful Dead live songs note for note. The band instead seeks the individual style for each era of its performances and offers its own interpretations and improvisations of a group also famed and loved for their interpretations and improvisation. Anything more formulaic would quickly dispel the free spirit embodied in the music.

For sound clips, photos and detailed information on the Dark Star Orchestra, please visit www.darkstarorchestra.net. Further information regarding the Rex Foundation can be found at www.rexfoundation.org.

DSO Rex Caravan Tour:
10/13 - El Rey Theatre - Los Angeles, CA
10/15 - Marquee Theater - Tempe, AZ
10/18 - Boulder Theater - Boulder, CO
10/19 - The Oriental Theater - Denver, CO
10/20 - The Oriental Theater - Denver, CO

[Published on: 8/1/07]

Comments

pinkfloydfan420 Wed 8/1/2007 08:19AM

pinkfloydfan420

I wish I lived out West so I could catch these. Oh well, I guess I'll have to settle for three sets at Hookahville!!

sunnbear starstarstarstarstar Wed 8/1/2007 08:26AM

sunnbear

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JERRY!!!

enjoimusic4202 Wed 8/1/2007 08:30AM

enjoimusic4202

This is great, fortunatley I live in the west and all of these shows are accessable for me, should be a good run & the Rex Foundation is a worthy cause

Deadphishbiscuits Wed 8/1/2007 08:37AM

Deadphishbiscuits

Happy birthday Jerry, this run does look good but a little short would love to see them gussy up something for halloween

AZ~*Droo* starstarstarstarstar Wed 8/1/2007 09:07AM

AZ~*Droo*

A very happy birthday to ya jerry!! we miss you! Cant wait till the az show!!

RothburyWithCheese starstarstarstarstar Wed 8/1/2007 09:40AM

RothburyWithCheese

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JERRY. DSO come back to Austin, we know how much you love La zona rosa. Next time do three nights instead of 2!!!!

EVILFUNK star Wed 8/1/2007 09:51AM

EVILFUNK

Bob and Donna Jean have the sharpest ears in the buisiness! I thank the Wall of Sound ~ all the watts BEHIND the band...BRILLIANT!

O1Roggae Wed 8/1/2007 11:14AM

O1Roggae

wish i lived out west with all the beautiful nice people and awesome live music. can't wait till dso plays pompano again. jerry is still alive in the hearts of the people who loved him, without him we wouldn't have been able to enjoy music like we do now. love for all deadheads nationwide

jasonthehead starstarstarstarstar Wed 8/1/2007 12:36PM

jasonthehead

2 nights at the El Rey...sweet!

Happy Birthday Jerry!

aquariumdrunk Wed 8/1/2007 02:57PM

aquariumdrunk

I'm glad to see some bigger shows getting booked at the Oriental! I'm new to the Denver area, but from everything I've heard and read, that place was as good as gone before they got scooped up by the Cervantes, Quixotes, etc, squad. It's a cool little theatre! I'm looking forward to these!!

cavemandan Fri 8/3/2007 04:20PM

DSO does not sound like the grateful dead at all.... i have heard at least a half dozen grateful dead cover bands that are closer to sounding like the grateful dead than dso....anybody else agree they are very over rated?

scooterdjembe starstarstarstarstar Sat 8/4/2007 10:01PM

scooterdjembe

i do not think they are the least bit over rated i love their sound about as good as it gets for me.

tekla Mon 8/6/2007 01:13PM

tekla

Look, I like these people. They are nice. About the nicest people I know in the biz. However nice is not good.

And they are - at best - a Holiday Inn cover band version of the Dead. Check it out. Listen to Marty Robbins do El Paso, then listen to the Dead do it. Are they the same? Not even.

Now listen to DSO do a Dead song, and listen to the Deads version. No difference.

I feel sorry for people who think that when they see DSO they are getting a Dead experience. Its no more the Dead then Jumpin Jack Flash are the Rolling Stones.

allovernow Mon 8/6/2007 02:41PM

As far as I'm concerned it's all about how the music makes you feel. If I like going to DSO shows because it makes me feel good then what's wrong with that! What's wrong with sounding like the GD? I love the GD and I love DSO. They are very different in my eyes yet the concept of energy exchange is the same. That's what moves me...... You don't like them fine but why try to tell folks they are somehow out of touch for liking them. Who made you the music god? DSO rocks you don't like um' don't go........ There are plenty of folks who LOVE to go...... I feel sorry for the fact that your so close minded!! Why don't you tell the band how you feel about them when they play the Fillmore in OCT since you are a stage hand there!

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^› {¬¿¬} starstarstarstarstar Tue 8/7/2007 05:46AM

they are not over-rated. of all the cover bands I have seen DSO is the highest quality!! I am a dead head, I think DSO does it justice.. tekla, cavemandan, did u read the quotes from bob wier and donna about DSO?

what makes you think you are better experts at dead music than bob weir??? well?? Yeah I thought so.
I wish some of this was south east, oh well. keep on truckin!!!

tekla Tue 8/7/2007 10:23AM

tekla

Without getting into a huge grad school type discussion about "Imitation vs. Reality" or "Real vs. Copy" let me say this.

The trouble with DSO is not that its bad, its like its too good.

And in being that good, that polished, that professional, it loses the joy, the spontaneity and the almost reckless abandon that the real thing had. At their best, you never knew where the Dead were going because they didn't know themselves. That gave it an edge, a mystery, a suspense that the DSO shows can't match because its not there.

There were times when it seemed that the Dead were six guys in the front seat all fighting about who was driving the car, which made for a pretty exciting ride for all of us in the back seat. Anyone who went to enough Dead shows knows that at other times it got them in a wreck. At a Henry J. show back in the mid 80s I turned to a friend of mine who is a classically trained musician and asked "Where are they going with this?" Wild Bob said, "I don't know and I don't think they do either." In an overproduced, over rehearsed, airbrush/photoshop world that kind of spontaneity made the Dead the most genuine band in live music.

Look at Dead-Base and the number of songs they only did a few times, some only once because they couldn't get it together well enough to play them right. I don't see DSO ever being that bad. And its a shame, because sometimes the Dead were almost cute in just massacring some cover - Day Tripper stands out in my mind.

As a comparison, and a valid one I think, not long ago... I did the GunsNRoses show at the Warfield, not the real GNR, but David Lee and some other guys posing as GNR. Now these guys were good, real good. The keyboard player is with Trent Reznor / NIN, just for one.

What the original GNR had was that feeling of an alcohol fueled frenzy playing at 3-am in the trailer park on beat up equipment that barely worked, careening off of everything in sight and threatening to implode or explode at any moment.

The new, not quite GNR was letter perfect. Not a note was off. And in being letter perfect, it just wasn't GNR. It was not raw, it was rehearsed, and that's a huge difference. A friend of mine says basically the same thing when he stated "DSO is what the Dead would have sounded like if they practiced."

I know the 'best' (subjective) DSO shows I've heard were the ones where they got off the script and were not doing the "7-12-88 Dead show", but were playing the songs they wanted to play in the order they wanted to play them. It at least was interesting because they played stuff into and out of each other that the Dead never would have done in that way or in that order.

Jerry once described the Dead Experience as a "signpost to a new space" and it just seems to me that a lot of people parked themselves at the sign instead of following the arrow which was pointing a way that at least was "Further".

And they could, I think, take it further. Make it more real, and less imitation. So, we know what the Dead sounded like doing, say, El Paso, why not give us what the Dead might have sounded like doing A Day in the Life, or Light My Fire. I for one, always hoped the Dead would do Sunshine of Your Love because I always heard Phil churning up the earth with that bass line and would have loved to know where Jerry would have taken the solo. So, why not do that? Or something like that.

PS, just as a side note, Bob Wier never heard the Dead play. The stage mix is not the house mix, and nothing ever sounded like the Dead's system with Healy at the board. Tapes and CDs are good, but those who saw the Dead's shows know that nothing matched the power and the glory of that system when Dan had it turned up to 11.

allovernow Tue 8/7/2007 11:23AM

What's interesting here is that DSO does NOT practice at all. They have no idea what the Dead did when playing one of their set lists. There is nothing note for note or copied. I've seen many DSO shows and none are the same (I also attended hundreds of dead shows dating back to the mid 70's). I've seen the band do great shows and I've seen them do OK shows but they have never been any bad shows. The beauty of the deads music is that you can play it however you want... There is no rule...... To each his own like I said... I LOVE what DSO does for me...............