JURASSIC 5 MOVES ON

Ex-Jurassic 5 Members Push On With New Projects

Jurassic 5
With very little in terms of an official announcement, Jurassic 5 recently broke up; and two members already have new albums on deck.

Chali 2na is slated to begin work on his solo debut, Fish Outta Water. The MC will also appear at Bonnaroo with Galactic and will be a special guest on the band's new hip-hop centric album scheduled to hit later this year.

Cut Chemist, who left J5 last year to pursue his solo career, just finished a European run as the opener for Shakira and will do a few headlining dates in California and Japan.

Cut Chemist is also working on his next album, the follow-up to last year's The Audience's Listening.

Cut Chemist Dates:
05.26 Los Angeles, CA - Walt Disney Concert Hall *
06.01 San Francisco, CA - 1015
06.24 Hollywood, CA - Hollywood Bowl (Brain Placement) #
08.11 Osaka, Japan - Summer Sonic Festival
08.12 Tokyo, Japan - Summer Sonic Festival
* with Mumbles
# with DJ Shadow

Check out Backstage with JamBase's J5 interview

[Published on: 5/21/07]

Comments

O1Roggae Mon 5/21/2007 11:57AM

O1Roggae

I am goin to miss J5's music. From quality control to power in numbers, those two albums help create a different type of hip-hop.

All Loving Liberal White Guy Mon 5/21/2007 12:08PM

All Loving Liberal White Guy

quality control is a classic album and a milestone of 21st century hip hop. the one after that power in numbers was cool too but listening to that last one "feedback" was like trying to digest a peanut butter cabage and scrapple with capers sandwich. maybe this was for the best. i'll still have open ears for whatever solo ventures the members embark on.

kendorhymes Mon 5/21/2007 12:17PM

kendorhymes

J5 rocked that tent at vegoose, people who saw couldn't stop talking about all weekend, man that was the last time i've seen 'em. Once a J5 fan always a J5 fan!

MutilatedLips Mon 5/21/2007 12:23PM

MutilatedLips

Truely a sad moment for hiphop. J5 Has been one of my favorate hiphop acts during this decade. I hope their future solo projects will come close to what they had created togethor.

peaton Mon 5/21/2007 12:28PM

peaton

This news really sucks. Its hard to find a hip-hop group that is nearly as dynamic as J5 was. They seemed to have a chemistry that was extremely noticable and all of their specific styles and talents complimented each other very well. I'm also sad that I never had the opportunity to see these guys live. At the same time, I'm psyched to see what they can do on their own, especially Chali 2na with Galactic. Hopefully the hip hop community can use their work as an example and incorperate a more positive, feelgood vibe instead of just violence, drugs, and money all the time. RIP J5, but if you want to ever reunite, thats cool too.

BrianG Mon 5/21/2007 12:40PM

BrianG

they have two tour dates on their myspace page...?

Kayceman Mon 5/21/2007 12:55PM

Kayceman

Both shows on J5 myspace page refer to AKIL OF JURASSIC 5, not the full band.

jerryil starstarstarstarstar Mon 5/21/2007 01:01PM

jerryil

What ever happened to the Humpty Dance?

lvcheese Mon 5/21/2007 01:21PM

lvcheese

J-5 at the rocks w/ STS9 was the shit. Bad news

All Loving Liberal White Guy Mon 5/21/2007 01:38PM

All Loving Liberal White Guy

"I once got busy in a Burger King bathroom" - Humpty Hump.

One of the best verses ever

udsh starstarstar Mon 5/21/2007 02:52PM

a little bummed but chali 2na is who makes the bad. his solo shit will be off the chain

mikeyj1 Mon 5/21/2007 03:37PM

mikeyj1

Passed up Panic at the 1st Bonnaroo to see J-5. That show was hoppin somethin' fierce. There were quite a few people, including me, who were like where in the fuck did these cats come from. I ran into my nextdoor neighboors from my hometown and they told me to go see them guys. Glad I did.

matttroche Mon 5/21/2007 03:41PM

matttroche

What a loss. these guys totally knew how to rock a crowd. i actually had the privilidge of getting mugged outside of a j5 concert in dallas tx a year or so ago. haha, good times. still one of the best bands out today. "no rabbit in a hat tricks, just act classic, raps from jurrasic!"

nsafay Mon 5/21/2007 04:04PM

J5 wasn't performing when Panic was big guy. Although I was quite intoxicated...remember seeing both. And crying when Mikey sang "Vacation." Last time I ever saw him.

Alex.Anastas star Tue 5/22/2007 12:40AM

Alex.Anastas

wwwwwwwwwwwwwhhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaattttttttttttttt???????????????

hambone Tue 5/22/2007 05:01AM

Heard this news a few months back..........too bad. With all the gangsta bullshit out there, these dudes had their shit together. Never any funny bidniss from the J5 camp. Only saw them 1 time in Boston. Pumped for 2na's solo stuff.
GO SOX!!!!!

GrantedProductions starstarstar Tue 5/22/2007 07:43AM

GrantedProductions

these cats are all equally dope... but i'm glad they are seperating, their shit was beinging to become waaaaay too over saturated! j5 w/ dmb? that's some major label marketing bs... they lost their groove of the record when the chemist cut! but i ain't saying they ain't talented... cause they all are... just time to move on! stoked for some chari2na flavor! work w/ galactic, more cut chem, keep it movin... but that shit is what it is... jurassic!

roberto767 Tue 5/22/2007 10:15AM

roberto767

Can't really say I'll miss 'em

DBang Tue 5/22/2007 10:52AM

These guys will definitely be missed. But I think that the Feedback album is underrated...I mean even without Cut Chemist, there are some dope beats on that album. Nu-Mark is a badass DJ in his own right. I could've done without some of the crossover guest spots, but hey, nobody complained when they put Nelly Furtado and Big Daddy Kane on Power in Numbers. Anyway, I predict that Soup's solo stuff will be equal or better than Chali 2NA's. If you haven't heard him freestyle check out J5's freestyle session on the Tom Green Show on youtube.

sawchuk2 Tue 5/22/2007 11:33AM

sawchuk2

J5 was the shit, I think I listened to Power in #'s for about a month straight. You could have saw this coming though in my opinion. Feedback really couldnt compare to their first two albums and it sounded like they kinda lost it. Just my opinion though.

AdCo Tue 5/22/2007 12:29PM

AdCo

review in haiku

j-5 was quite cool
but alot sounded the same
you know what i mean

funkin Tue 5/22/2007 09:00PM

Let's take um back to the concrete streets, original beats from real live MC's, Playground tactics-no rabbit in a hat tricks, Just that classic rap shit from Jurassic!!!
Yessir! Thanks fellas!!!!!!

JakeCinningerisgod Tue 5/22/2007 09:59PM

This is real shitty, saw them on lollapolza tour with janes, audioslave, incubus, and queens of the stoneage. I went to see all of those bands but always like J5 but really didn't know much about them. They blew my mind best show of that concert and one of the most entertaining shows ive seen.

theivywall Wed 5/23/2007 07:09AM

theivywall

like da-da
a di da deet da da
a da da deet deet deet
a di da deet da da
ba ba da

tonsofun5 Wed 5/23/2007 10:25AM

j5. sts9. red rocks. coolest show ever.

bigchris starstarstarstar Wed 5/23/2007 12:16PM

bummer. J5 really, really brought it live, more than any other hip-hop act I've seen. I was lucky enough to see them a bunch of times, JazzFest(totally killed at the Howlin' Wolf), The Greek, Fillmore and few others. What talent! Too bad more MCs didn't take their lead. These guys always had something cool to talk about, unlike most hip-hop today. I did like the feedback album, but agree there was a bit too many guests from different genres(DMB, come on!). I hope the solo tours treat them well. I'll be eagerly awaiting the reunion tour with Cut Chemist! that will be dope.

Cleofus Thu 5/24/2007 03:50PM

Cleofus

Saw J5 at the Orange Peel in Asheville a few years back. Very few band/groups/crews had crowd control like they did. Will be interesting to hear the solo joints.