GROWING UP WITH PERPETUAL GROOVE

We definitely wanted to make a different album. We didn't want a whole lot of jamming to take place. We were focused on writing good songs.

-Matt McDonald

Photo by Jake Krolick

Shifting Colors

Perpetual Groove by Jake Krolick
Along with caring about Mother Earth, the members of Perpetual Groove care about other issues affecting the world today, especially McDonald, who speaks of politics with unrivaled passion. He speaks just as passionately about the intentions behind PGroove's latest effort. "We definitely wanted to make a different album. We didn't want a whole lot of jamming to take place. We were focused on writing good songs," says McDonald.

Butler gives the impression they've grown up over the last few years. On the newer songs, he comments, "Even if they have the same emotion of our old music, the approach is kind of different. We've learned how do more. We've learned how to be more effective in a shorter amount of time within a song." He mentions "Mayday," another song written in the studio, "I sat down and wanted to write something heavy. I said we need something just (mimes air guitar power chords while putting on an evil face). It's more like that, so that's what we did." Listen to "Mayday" and you'll quickly understand the deep, dark feel Butler was aiming for.

Expectations are sky-high for LIVELOVEDIE, not only within the band but their management, Tree Sounds Studios, and their ever-growing fan base. Fortunately, a week before the album's release it was already a top ten download on Oink.com.

Perpetual Groove by Jeremy Jones
PGroove seems to have developed a newfound sense of maturity around LIVELOVEDIE. These boys are growing up, and the album reflects that. Brock has the calm wisdom of a grandfather teaching his grandson when he speaks to me about their newest chapter. "Most of [the songs] are just drawing from life experiences - dealing with people you love, be it a family member or a significant other, things that frustrate you when you're out there trying to get through it all," says Brock. "[Some] days you don't feel like getting through anything, other days you feel like the world is your oyster. That's pretty much everything I write about. If I've had a really great day or a really frustrating day, the lyrics become an outlet of some sort for me."

Perpetual Groove by Jake Krolick
By this point, Butler is wide awake. "When you're a painter you have to be finished. You did what you could with it, with the colors or lack of colors you had available at the time, whatever your tools were. If you're a musician, that's not really the case. You get the opportunity to re-paint it over and over again. When you get new [gear], it's just like having a new canvas. You can go back in there and repaint the song completely different. Or, you can do more a minimalist approach [where] you have so many things available to you that you realize you can say more with just a little bit. Lyrically, I think I'm always more of a fan of [that] kind of impressionist, minimalist [approach] that puts a few thoughts out there and that's all. Let those get into people's heads and see what the audience thinks of it. Sometimes I won't have anything specific in mind, sometimes I do. Usually people will come up and ask me what a song means, and I'll pretty much answer their question with a question - 'What does it mean to you?' Whatever the explanation is that's fine to me."

Before leaving, I ask Butler if there's any particular message the band was trying to send on the new album, particularly in the title LIVELOVEDIE.

"It's not really a message at all," offers Butler. "It's three very huge words, and people define them for themselves. This is life right here - what you consider to be love, your views on death, and those things put together. Is that a morbid thought? Is that an optimistic thing? That's really up to the listener to decide. Someone can say, 'I had the greatest life because I found love.' Or maybe you don't find love and so you're just living and dying. In which case, I would say that's not very optimistic or happy. But, those three words people define for themselves."

Check out Perpetual Groove music/interview on YouTube

JamBase | Georgia
Go See Live Music!

[Published on: 3/8/07]

Comments

cmaxwell Thu 3/8/2007 05:57PM

So cool that they had a vision. A lot of bands talk about going in with no preconceived notions, and just let it happen. That's pretty cool too, but choosing and direction and finding something great down that path.

cliffcliffordjr starstarstarstarstar Thu 3/8/2007 06:18PM

cliffcliffordjr

Nicely done piece Brian. No doubt this band is going to take it to the next level. I've been seeing the band for many years, and have absolute confidence they have what it takes. See ya'll at Amberland.

bluzbill-obx Thu 3/8/2007 06:45PM

nice article with some thoughtful insights into the band. It looks like LIVELOVEDIE is justifing all the hype!!

fuqwod Thu 3/8/2007 07:11PM

How is the album? anyone got any insight compared to previous albums

discovery starstarstarstarstar Thu 3/8/2007 10:22PM

discovery

great article!! The new album is very complete and there isn't a song on there that I would skip past. First studio effort I've listened to and I recommend everyone to go pick it up.

tay1222 Thu 3/8/2007 11:41PM

i was one of the luckey few to be at the taping of 1 of these magical nights in ATL. Groove is definately doing big things these days and will only continue to grow. no to brag but i somehow lucked out (prob bue to the kegs of sweetwater, provided by the venue) and snagged Brocks setlist w/ signature from night2, yea yea!, get this album - - many long jams and great song selection

vwphan Thu 3/8/2007 11:48PM

I like P-Groove. I love Tea Leaf Green :) Go see both!

phishndisc starstarstarstarstar Fri 3/9/2007 06:03AM

well done my man well done

phreakyJew starstarstarstarstar Fri 3/9/2007 07:13AM

phreakyJew

I really enjoyed this artcile. Thanks Brian for giving this band such a great advocate on Jambase. Here's to seeing the arena rock in an arena (Little John Center, Clemson) in April! Good things, good things. Mazel, Mazel.

totalot Fri 3/9/2007 07:44AM

Good article and it seems like these guys a really nice guys with a good publicist because the music does not touch the hype.

gregray1 starstarstarstarstar Fri 3/9/2007 08:45AM

Well tay1222, you are still in a small exclusive group! This Album is pure studio, The Cave Sessions have not been released yet, or announced for that matter. Lot of new material on album, as well as a new spin on show favorites!

fuqwod Fri 3/9/2007 09:10AM

Album Is Great O,(
O'(

jamtort starstarstarstarstar Fri 3/9/2007 09:13AM

Great article Brain.. Really hit some great points and insight to everything..
These guys are as good as advertised Knowing them personally they really care a whole lot about everything from their music to friends and fans... Its something special they have going.. If they are you get up and go see them and also this album is one of the best albums that have came out lately.. Really good stuff and a lot of great music.. as said Not 1 song i would skip on the album....
congrats guys!!! and Once again Great Job Brain!!!

Daddyphatsacks starstarstarstarstar Fri 3/9/2007 12:34PM

Daddyphatsacks

Great article...I've never heard the music, but I'm definitely going to check them out next chance I get to buy some new tunes. I'm always looking for something new. Thanks Jam Base. Keep bringing these in-depth articles to the surface!

Flyingbird73 starstarstarstar Fri 3/9/2007 03:46PM

Flyingbird73

High Sierra '05 Vaudeville Tent evening session...any band that can literally raise the roof w/ Lionel f'n Richie's "All Night Long" is cool by me...that tent was pumping crazy energy. Cool band, wish nothing but the best.

phreemee starstarstarstarstar Fri 3/9/2007 03:47PM

Great article!! I just got into these guys a few months ago. I heard like a 20 minute version of "Speedqueen" on Jam On on Sirius...Blew me away...Go the the "archive.org" for hundreds of their shows for free. I've downloaded like 50 shows already..I just can't get enough...Can' wait till they come to the West coast..

boomboxfan1 starstarstarstarstar Fri 3/9/2007 09:41PM

boomboxfan1

I can't wait to see PG with BoomBox on March, 23 2007 at Soul Kitchen in Mobile, Alabama. This will be an incredible lineup with a great groove moves. I cannot believe the great music scene in the South East that keeps you bumpin.

jamcamdvd starstarstarstarstar Sat 3/10/2007 04:52AM

One of our fave raves - congratulations on the new album, guys! Look for PGroove (& Brock Butler solo) on our 3rd Season opening Jam Cruise 5 (double!) DVD coming early summer 2007. Until then, enjoy these past PG JamCam appearances...

PERPETUAL GROOVE "SUNDOG" - SMILEFEST 2004
www.jamcamdvd.com/videos/high/PGrooveSundog.wmv

PERPETUAL GROOVE "TSMM" - WAKARUSA 2005
www.jamcamdvd.com/videos/high/PGrooveTSMM.wmv

cmaxwell Sat 3/10/2007 06:56PM

Just bought my tix for the Playhouse run. For those of you who haven't heard any of their music yet, go to www.archive.org. NYE and the 2-10 Athens shows are incredible, and contain most of the songs on the new album (Athens has all but the two yet to be played). Feel free to e-mail me at cmaxwellgsu@excite.com for any help getting those downloaded.

You Fail starstarstarstarstar Sat 3/10/2007 09:52PM

You Fail

I absolutly love perpetual groove they give that level of excitement i havent felt in so long about a band i cant get enough see you at All Good !!! great album guys !!!!!!!!!

twain starstarstarstarstar Tue 3/13/2007 08:28AM

seen many x's just picked up disc...they destroyed the culture room to close out langerado, the place was insanity! something else.

Triggin starstarstarstarstar Wed 3/14/2007 01:09PM

what a great article about a wonderful band. This band takes me places!

pgrizzle Wed 3/14/2007 08:29PM

pgrizzle

they rocks's

Greenjah starstarstarstarstar Sat 3/17/2007 10:14AM

Greenjah

One thing I took from my interview with the band last year was that they've worked really hard to get where they are, and it hasn't soured their love for the jam. Playing 200 nights a year ain't easy.

Great piece, great band.

Scotty Greene

cmaxwell starstarstarstarstar Sat 3/17/2007 11:13PM

These guys showed their love for jamming during the Variety Playhouse run. Everything got extended a few extra minutes with plenty of interplay between lights and musician. Great pair of shows!

PCAR starstarstarstarstar Sun 3/18/2007 11:47AM

I knew you could do this Brian. Had such a great time with you and the HeadCount crew at CBV last year. Keep on supporting the things that make us all smile. Much respect.
Patrick

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^› {¬¿¬} starstarstarstarstar Mon 3/19/2007 09:20AM

after 5 shows.. I finally "heard the inner ping" I wish it didnt take so long, but chattanooga tn rarely gets any firey shows. so now I really like Pgroove. I do think they need to do some more writing. I think they could stand to have some more tunes. Writing is hard and takes time, I realize it will come eventually and I will be waiting for it. peas.....

standingtaller starstarstarstarstar Sun 4/1/2007 07:48AM

standingtaller

Great Article!
P-Groove is a well thought, fun loving, tightly knit band. Go See 'Em Live!

radioioJAM starstarstarstarstar Tue 4/10/2007 07:29PM

radioioJAM

livelovedie now playing here. tune in and spread the news!

2 nites pgroove at the music farm coming up...whoooppppeeee!!!

chasetc20 starstarstarstarstar Thu 4/12/2007 08:59AM

Pgroove is whats up man saw em at the farm in charleston last time they headed there and it was sick, ive yet to see this band dissapoint a crowd