RAGE AND WU-TANG

It turns out Rage Against the Machine will play more than one show after all. The seminal L.A. band will join the Wu-Tang Clan for three shows under the banner of Rock the Bells, the acclaimed hip-hop festival that kicks off in New York on July 28 and hits Southern California on August 11.

From rockthebells.net:

RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE &
THE WU-TANG CLAN SET TO "ROCK THE BELLS"

Rage Against the Machine
First it was the reunion of the Wu-Tang Clan in 2004. Then it was A Tribe Called Quest later that year. Now, ROCK THE BELLS will make history again as Rage Against The Machine announces their plans to perform three exclusive engagements with the critically acclaimed world-class hip-hop festival this summer. The epic line-up will see Rage Against The Machine join Wu-Tang Clan for two dates on the west coast (August 11 - NOS Event Center, San Bernardino, CA, August 18 - venue TBA, San Francisco) and for Rock The Bells' inaugural venture into New York City (July 28 - Randall's Island) for their only scheduled appearance on the eastern seaboard this year. The Wu-Tang Clan will support the release of their forthcoming album 8 Diagrams.

Rock The Bells, presented by Guerilla Union since 2003, has established itself as a world-class hip-hop platform by hosting legendary performances by NAS, A Tribe Called Quest, Lauryn Hill, Blackstarr (Talib Kweli and Mos Def), Cuban Linx, De La Soul, Busta Rhymes, Cypress Hill and Jurassic 5 as well as reuniting Wu-Tang for their last performance with ODB in 2004. This year, the festival will keep in its tradition and showcase the very best the genre has to offer.

"It's definitely our fans' dream billing. It's a tremendous honor to have Rage Against The Machine and Wu-Tang Clan perform together," states event organizer Chang Weisberg of Guerilla Union. "I can't wait to announce the rest of the line-up for Rock the Bells. It's incredibly important to put some shine on quality hip-hop. The opportunity to galvanize the social and political consciousness of these groups is undeniable."

The complete line-up will be announced March 26 and tickets will go on-sale March 31 at 10:00 a.m.

For complete details and updates, log onto www.guerillaunion.com www.rockthebells.net, or www.myspace.com/rockthebells.

[Published on: 2/26/07]

Comments

livin_grateful starstarstarstarstar Mon 2/26/2007 11:48AM

Sweet news!, we will see a RATM tour by the end of year...

zzdowz Mon 2/26/2007 11:50AM

zzdowz

Rage+WU Tang, This is like my dream come true!

pinkfloydfan420 starstarstarstarstar Mon 2/26/2007 11:52AM

pinkfloydfan420

Oh man, Rage and Wu-Tang! Too bad ODB isn't around to add to the antics.

moephishH2O Mon 2/26/2007 12:18PM

moephishH2O

I caught them together '90s (ha, sounds funny saying "90's). Crazy show! Talk about a diverse crowd...

lexslamman starstarstarstarstar Mon 2/26/2007 12:23PM

Wu-Machine?
Rage-tang?

Sounds like fun, too bad there won't be any of the Dirt McGurk/Osiris action there.

paulygparty Mon 2/26/2007 12:32PM

R.I.P. O.D.B.

ashellen Mon 2/26/2007 12:36PM

ashellen

also saw the previous tour. maybe this time my memory will not fail me.

cuttyfives Mon 2/26/2007 12:54PM

sick news, anyone looking for a good disc should pick this up Shaolin Soul, its all the original tracks the Wu samples...good ish

spaceface7 starstarstarstarstar Mon 2/26/2007 12:54PM

WHAT!!!! Maybe ill make the 6+ hour drive to hit this up. Always wanted to see rage and wu-tang is an added bonus... Here's to hoping tickets are less then 100 bucks.

rulosa01 starstarstarstarstar Mon 2/26/2007 01:12PM

BRING THE MOTHAFUCKIN RUCKUS

Ashley starstarstarstarstar Mon 2/26/2007 01:17PM

Ashley

THAT'S FRKN AWESOME.

Too bad they're only gonna be on the west coast. :-(

EVILFUNK starstarstarstarstar Mon 2/26/2007 01:30PM

EVILFUNK

sick!

DaMule Mon 2/26/2007 01:37PM

DaMule

man oh man that sounds like a balls-out shitstomp if I ever heard one. awesome stuff

deadpig79 Mon 2/26/2007 02:19PM

deadpig79

wu-tang clan ain't nuttin' to fuck wit!

dj_william Mon 2/26/2007 02:49PM

too bad i live in north carolina....

briank67 Mon 2/26/2007 04:13PM

briank67

HELL YES!
rage AND wu?!
that would make for a GREAT national tour...

Barry1Garcia starstarstarstarstar Mon 2/26/2007 04:30PM

Barry1Garcia

It already was a GREAT natl tour. But it had Ol' Dirt McGirk ;_( RIPODB either way i'm totally goin to the nyc show i wouldn't mis this for my left nut. Hopefully RATM will do more shows and maybe (fingers crossed) go to the studio.

beatstock starstarstarstarstar Mon 2/26/2007 05:12PM

beatstock

ohhh shit dream come true. never thought i'd get to see rage but whoot whoot!!!!

The1AndOnlyDJCT starstarstarstarstar Mon 2/26/2007 05:14PM

Anybody have any idea how much the tickets will cost?

thewormisgod starstarstarstarstar Mon 2/26/2007 05:30PM

like white rice

dudeski3 Mon 2/26/2007 06:02PM

dudeski3

It sure would be great if this would lead to a full-out Rage tour... No more Cornell so no more Audioslave. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, Rage is one of the only bands I genuinely regret never being able to see.

BRabbit Mon 2/26/2007 06:15PM

BRabbit

ooooooooooooooooooooooo baby i just craped myself
WU TANG CLAN AINT NOTTN TO FUCK WITH

scooterdjembe starstarstarstarstar Mon 2/26/2007 06:24PM

scooterdjembe

sick, cannot wait

Groovephunkster Mon 2/26/2007 06:47PM

I'd love to see a Rage/Franti and Spearhead tour! Different decades, different styles, same message. If you ain't pissed off at what's goin' on on Planet Earth, you're just not paying attention. Blow up your TV, go see live music my partyin' peeps!!

mike_c starstarstarstar Mon 2/26/2007 07:14PM
jooo1 Mon 2/26/2007 07:27PM
Jeruth Tue 2/27/2007 07:31AM

Jeruth

how much i wonder. rage is sick i have wanted to see them for years

canoftunapudding Tue 2/27/2007 07:53AM

Rage is back (probably not for long). Cut them some slack and let them play who they feel comfortable with.

paulyblunts Tue 2/27/2007 08:00AM

paulyblunts

was anyone else at the rage/wu-tang show in CT at the meadows back in the 90's? complete insanity..zach totally incited a riot that night. the back fence completely set on fire!

MangoNutbag Tue 2/27/2007 10:50AM

MangoNutbag

thanks for the recommendation CuttyFives, I just ordered that Shaolin Soul disc.

johnnygoff starstar Tue 2/27/2007 01:42PM

johnnygoff

didn't a previous RATM / Wu-Tang tour end early because Zach didn't agree with the tour antics/ politics of Wu-Tang? I remember this several years ago and the hype associated with it. What makes peeps think a refreshed Zach will mix better w/ Wu-Tang this time around? ....Love Rage w/ Zach, but we, the people, need more dates, than just one or two hip-hop festies...

DaveT Tue 2/27/2007 02:21PM

DaveT

Rehashed for the cash... Whatever... Ewe what a powerful combo! (Can't ya hear the sarcasm a drippin')

gOdWesSaTaN Tue 2/27/2007 04:09PM

gOdWesSaTaN

go to the southeast rage please atlanta

Jenny Jen starstarstarstar Tue 2/27/2007 07:30PM

Jenny Jen

No, Johnny Goff. That couldn't be farther from the truth. The "politics" of Wu-Tang (when they rarely brought that to their music or by Rza to the public), if anything, could be linked right up to, well, to put it in Jambase reader terms basically very Rage-like and liberal (they're Black, they grew up poor, and they are if anything a bunch of rebellious mo' foes who are anything BUT conservative uptight Republicrats). DeLaRocha last I checked was and IS still involed with "la causa" (most notably his recent work with the South Central Farmers (www.southcentralfarmers.org) and other L.A. based organizations that rarely get any publicity anywhere outside of the L.A. Times. And as far as the festies, this is EXACTLY where Rage should be, they're obviously not ready to announce a committed reunion and or dropping another album/tour THIS early in the making. Guerilla Union bring MUCH MORE of any Rage-esque feel than Coachella ever could (sappy lineups/ticket prices also as The Bells is waaay cheaper than Coachella) even next to the fact that Rage played their first festie back in the 90's. G Union is dirty, grimy, and the largest and most respected promoter of any independently ran hiphop fest EVER. Hands down. But I agree, it would be NICE to see future plans for tour/album. But trust me on the sunscreen. The only thing Zack and Bobby Digital would be arguing about is how/when they're gonna sit in on each others' sets.

Jenny Jen Tue 2/27/2007 11:26PM

Jenny Jen

Lauryn Hill is busy getting booed on stage at last year's Rock The Bell's Festival...

Nick1257 Wed 2/28/2007 11:59AM

Nick1257

I saw wu-tang and rage at Great Woods about 12 years ago... It was my first concert ever... this is going to be unbelievable.

PoppaBakes starstarstarstarstar Wed 2/28/2007 06:19PM

PoppaBakes

oh my christ jesus lives

Jenny Jen Thu 3/1/2007 09:13AM

Jenny Jen

You're probably 100% right about Wu's tour antics CoolestEver, I knew Wu were the ones that opted to back out of the west coast dates (I had tickets and ended up seeing The Roots for the first time open the show instead). My brother worked for G Union and so it goes Lauryn Hill was NOT initially invited to the San Bernardino show, she just "showed up" in a limo and waited in the parking lot for a few hours until her publicist returned with word that the promoters cleared her to take the stage. You can't say no to Lauryn Hill (I know I wouldn't), but she should have known better, her cred is strong I agree but as far as being able to hold it down as a "surprise guest" with an acoustic guitar after 6 hours of nonstop ruggedness and raw flow of the acts that were previously on stage? Not gonna happen. It was like being drunk at Ozzfest with a Slipknot t-shirt on and halfway through the show Scott Stapp (not Creed) takes the stage. I think. Haha. Anyhow, I dig Hill for the record and I hope The Fugees do something in the future.

yakman1 star Thu 3/1/2007 10:40AM

yakman1

It seems like this shit should not be on jambase...... don't get me wrong, i like rage, but it seems like jambase and the jam scence is getting too commercialized

Jenny Jen Thu 3/1/2007 11:08AM

Jenny Jen

Great movie Woodrose! I own it and love Jack & Meg's Tesla coil as well...Good stuff. As for L-Boogie, what's more crazy is that she specifically requested G Union staff/backstage personnel to refrain from "looking directly into her eyes" or making any eye contact whatsoever with her when and or while dealing/approaching her during her time at the venue. A true miseducated Sister-Act if you ask me...

happydestiny Thu 3/1/2007 02:43PM

happydestiny

Von Sickening!!!

Jill11 Thu 3/1/2007 04:53PM

Everyone: You have to check out this band that I saw in Knoxville a few nights ago. Their name is G-Roc. It is a guy who plays electronic drums and a keyboard player who lays down loops. They are freakin' awesome! I am personally going to tell everyone I know to check them out. Peace!

www.myspace.com/grocband

MikeMosher starstarstarstarstar Fri 3/2/2007 12:36AM

MikeMosher

JULY 28!!! Commin' from B-lo w/ a crew of 30!!! It'll be the '90's all over!

KROTCHHAMMER starstarstarstarstar Fri 3/2/2007 05:48PM

KROTCHHAMMER

If I don't get tickets to Rock the Bells, I'm going to kill someone. Rage and Wu-Tang are two of my ultimate favorite bands, and I was too young to see Rage play before they broke up, but now that I'm old enough and they're reuniting, its like God herself is reaching down from heaven to fondle my balls. If I miss this opportunity to see these two amazing bands, I will not be able to live with myself.

Crime-Mcrupp star Fri 3/2/2007 11:59PM

Crime-Mcrupp

Howells Is Mother Fukin Homa
Howells Is Mother Fuckin Homa
OH Tina OH Tina
Drive That Cherokee

River starstarstarstarstar Sun 3/4/2007 04:43PM

River

dude in wasnt sure and now fuckin wu tang is opening how fucking sweet it is

jbersch starstarstarstar Sun 3/4/2007 05:42PM

jbersch

Rage, I won't miss these guys again.. Also check out Rose Hill Drive if you EVER seem them near you.

lindsay_kimmell starstarstarstarstar Wed 3/21/2007 12:06PM

lindsay_kimmell

I heard a rumor that rage was gonna be at bonnaroo also...can anyone help me with that? Actually a friend of mine heard it on the radio but he is pretty spent most of the time so he might have just thought that is what they said.