THE TOP 3 FROM JAM CRUISE 5

Brock Butler and SuperDee

Umphrey's McGee and The Disco Biscuits

Presidential Awards

JamBase | Jam Cruise
Go See Live Music!

[Published on: 1/12/07]

Comments

MaseBase starstarstarstarstar Fri 1/12/2007 06:00PM

MaseBase

SHIT! DAMN! I'm so pissed that I missed JamCruise this year - AGAIN! Never again, required attendance...

buck72 starstarstarstarstar Fri 1/12/2007 08:31PM

buck72

Very nice article, great pictures, "wish you were here" type of business goin down. The dead set sounds like it was pretty nice, but i got to get my hands on the bisco sets, the jam room sets with Karl D running the show, and well pretty much all the energy and all the performers, sounds like a pretty nice vacation, see you there next year, or at a town near you!

YodaG starstarstarstarstar Fri 1/12/2007 09:37PM

YodaG

Dave and Michael thanks for capturing Jam Cruise in colorful pixels. Kayce, thanks for letting me relive it all over again.

cliffcliffordjr Sat 1/13/2007 07:45AM

cliffcliffordjr

Damn, you know, avid festival travler I am, I have avoided gettin on board the jam cruise, for fear of not being able to get off. As much as I would love to join you all for this rite of passage, I just can't do it yet. Wish I could be there my friends. Someday, Over the ...

Thanks for sharing the love Jambase, and everyone involved.

MoeString Sat 1/13/2007 08:33AM

MoeString

wheres jeff austin???????

lawyerdan starstarstarstarstar Sat 1/13/2007 09:20AM

lawyerdan

great shots! best goddamn week of my life. i hereby vow to never miss another one of these things as long as i live.

Joshtafari starstarstarstarstar Sat 1/13/2007 11:42AM

Joshtafari

I would have paid just to see Burning Spear with Umphrey's!!!! I f I could have been to one JAm Cruise this would have been the one.
Peace, Love, Unity, Respect

Larry Narachi starstarstarstarstar Sat 1/13/2007 03:14PM

Larry Narachi

Nice images ! Appreciate all the photographers hard work draggin' all those lenses everywhere!! Love the shots with the sky in them and of the crowd having a great time (that shot with the woman with her jaw dropping as she's getting down is classic - great work Dave) Mike's shot of MikeD hanging is funny as hell and captures Mike's personality really well.

You all look like you are having a great time
Whoo hoo - I hope to go next year.

Went on two Jamcruises (not this one) and had a GREAT time.
The folks that are on the boat are some of the best in the community.

Marcsmall Sat 1/13/2007 04:58PM

Marcsmall

Anyone have the setlist for Zero and Jeff Austin? Also who were JA's guests?

sweetwun Sun 1/14/2007 12:27AM

I have to personally thank lot dawg for inviting my to Jam Cruise 5. I had the time of my life. Next year I'm taking all my good friends who haven't experienced this music extravaganza so they can truly understand the magnitude of fun that was on board that ship. Thanks to all who organized this party and all the musicians that made it come to life.

gmoo starstarstarstarstar Sun 1/14/2007 12:28AM

gmoo

...looks like I'll never miss this from now on.

Ned8 starstarstarstarstar Sun 1/14/2007 08:47AM

A hearty congratulations to Mark Brown and crew for taking a concept in with a cruize ship ala senior citizens vacation and making fresh and hip. You now see music cruizes put on all the time but I think Brown really comodered the idea(Kudos) My friends who go every year say it gets better and better as the years go on

Ned8 starstarstarstarstar Sun 1/14/2007 08:50AM

A hearty congratulation is due to Mark Brown and crew for taking a concept with a cruise ship, ala senior citizens vacation, and making it fresh and hip for the jam scene. You now see music cruises put on all the time but I think Brown really commandeered the idea (Kudos) my friends who go every year say it gets better and better as the years go on

kirby28 Sun 1/14/2007 02:09PM

If only jamcruise wasnt 21+...

phreak89 Sun 1/14/2007 07:20PM

phreak89

JAMCRUSE IS 21+!?!?! FUCK!! SHIT!! GODDAMN IT!!! i never saw that before, well i guess i'll be waiting for my fantisy week for another 3 years.

pgeano starstarstarstarstar Mon 1/15/2007 08:24AM

Was it all just a dream? It couldn't have been real. No way. It was five days of heaven! On the very first night, Stanton sat in with JJ Grey and Luther, Karl Denson sat in with The New Mastersounds, and Tim Carbone played with Tea Leaf Green. Everything about it was amazing. Even the elevator music was awesome! When you had to spend some time in the hallways and elevators, you were blessed with Michael Franti, Pink Floyd, Boards of Canada, and some CLASSIC Grateful Dead. WOW! My favorite moments:
1) Luther Dickinson sitting in with Umphrey's McGee
2) Hot Buttered Rum with Tim and and Andy playing Sugaree on a deserted beach while I was sipping pina colada from a pineapple and smoking a cuban cigar. Donna Jean, grinning from ear to ear, dancing in the sand right along with us.
3) Lunch with Bryan Horne. All the artists were so nice.
4) Can I have four? Please? Last night of the cruise, 15 minutes left to go in the jam room, Steve Kimock and an all-star cast on stage. Are you with me? Dancing the last of my energy out. Tim Carbone, drenched in sweat from dancing with all us other fans, taking shots of Patron right out of the bottle, cheering and screaming right along with the rest of us fans. WOW!
5) Can I have five? Please? Electric Apricot and the Quest for Festeroo. What a great flick! And these few hours near the end during the Greyboy Allstars and then into Karl Denson's Superjam had a feeling that I'll never forget. Everyone was just so mellow, you know? It was like the calm before the storm, when everyone (artists and fans) were just kind of taking it easy before the final blow-out. And what a blow-out it was!
6) Jeff Austin and Brendan Bayliss. They had so much fun playing together! It really felt like they could be playing in your living room. It was worth the $2700 ticket just to hear these two play Zep's "That's The Way."

The best thing about Jam Cruise, though, is that you get your own bathroom. No overused port-o-pottys here!

MGRIFFIN starstarstarstarstar Mon 1/15/2007 08:56AM

Holy Shit Jam Cruise was one of the best experiences of my life! Such good music all over the boat and so many different types to choose from!!! Seriosuly though yall got to have Perpetual Groove and Disco Biscuits back on that boat!!!!!!!!!!! SICK

Awesome article and photos thanks again yall!

musicalearth starstarstarstarstar Mon 1/15/2007 01:12PM

gosh - this was a fun time...I am glad this happens only once a year...and that the normal festival 'less than ideals' are not present.
Good vibes abound on the Cruise - and seeing all the cross pollination of artists and guests, AND seeing Jambase's SuperDee just shred with P Groove on the pool deck -- all of it was priceless.

And I just wish I had more shots of the photographer, Dave Vann, who took all these photos ...he needs to be shown to the world unmasked...

Someone please tell me where i can download that Sounds of San Fran show...that was epic.

PS- and who's got my DEEP BANANA BLACKOUT!?!?!?! I hope they come around more often this summer...

Ashley Mon 1/15/2007 02:56PM

Ashley

great article and images!

saba Mon 1/15/2007 03:01PM

saba

interesting images. some almost look photoshoped - or (in the film days) double exposures. would love to hear more from the photographers about what they did and how they did it. i think EXIF data would be very interesting to see (and that goes for all pix on jambase). several seem to slow; was that done are purpose, or was it just that dark?

Sweetbear420 starstarstarstarstar Mon 1/15/2007 04:16PM

Thank you for the great article and pictures! Hope to be on the boat again in the future. It was the best music festival event I have been to yet...JamRoom with Kimocks,Karl D., Meester Fierro, Steve Adams, DJ Logic, Robert Walter!!! OMG!!! Not to mention the ALO guys with Zero for a "little Help From My Friends"...Hee Haw!!!!!

toestothenose starstarstarstarstar Mon 1/15/2007 04:34PM

toestothenose

Great work Jambase!

You created a great piece capturing an experience that is hard to capture unless your on board that party barge!

Lot Dawg! Elect That MF'er!

P.S. Love the creative picture work!

ratsnest74 starstarstarstarstar Tue 1/16/2007 10:24AM

JamCruise 5 was the best time of my life, cant wait for next year. Michael and Davids photos (above) are excellent. I was shooting along side both of them for a good bit of the cruise. Click here to see my photos (took 5000):

thanks

Brad

Golgiguy starstarstarstarstar Tue 1/16/2007 02:54PM

Golgiguy

Best festival ever!

jessica starstarstarstarstar Tue 1/16/2007 06:15PM

there are no words to adequately describe the overwhelming amount of joy one experiences on jamcruise...all i know is that my cheek muscles have only just stopped aching from the grin i had plastered on my face the whole time i was on the ship. this was our first and i want to be a cruiser for life!

tdurden starstarstarstarstar Wed 1/17/2007 08:54AM

tdurden

Can we please stop referring to the Biscuits first show as "fan selected"? Its slightly demeaning and underscores the what that particular gentleman achieved. At least refer to him as the "New Guy", as the band does. He beat the pants off Barber in a private poker game (which apparently isn't that difficult I come to learn) and instead of taking the money, "The New Guy", as Barber dubbed him, proposed to write the Biscuits setlist. After penning his selections and handing them Jon, the Biscuits guitarist responded and I quote "This is some intense shit!" The band then proceeded to give "The New Guy" two shout out thank yous, one after the first show by Barber and one to begin their second show by Brownie. I think the circumstances go above and beyond just being referred to as 'fan selected'. Rant over and out

ShayDeGrove starstarstarstarstar Fri 1/19/2007 01:50PM

Great Article, Great Photos!! This was my 2nd Cruise, I didn't think it was possible but it was better than last year. The Dominican Port in Cayo Levantado was amazing. Our own private beach hideaway. Thanks to all of the Organizers, the Artists and to all of the Amazing People I met. I am Already Counting the Days until next year.

loudnoises starstarstarstarstar Thu 2/1/2007 04:02PM

mike d's mallets flying like torpedos into the opera crowd as he finished destroying a solo. also "Gimme Some Lovin'" craziness. see ya in nola!

standingtaller starstarstarstarstar Sun 2/4/2007 07:38PM

standingtaller

Every year I wish that I had the time and $$$ for jamcruise. It seems to get better and better! Dang, I seem to have less time and $$$. Goal for 2008: DO JAMCRUISE.

nwilso starstarstarstarstar Wed 2/21/2007 09:17AM

Best trip of my life and already prebooked for JC6!!!!!