Jeff Coffin Officially Joins DMB

Jeff Coffin Officially Joins Dave Matthews Band

[Jeff Coffin's] boldness, intensity, and verve set him apart from other saxophonists. - JazzTimes

Jeff Coffin
Jeff Coffin, saxophonist/composer, and three time GRAMMY Award winner with Bela Fleck and the Flecktones, will begin touring as a touring member of Dave Matthews Band on April 14 with their NYC appearance at Madison Square Garden. Coffin was originally tapped in July 2008 while LeRoi Moore, the band's original saxophonist, recovered from injuries sustained in an ATV wreck. Moore tragically passed away from complications of the wreck in August 2008 and Coffin stayed on with band, including recording with them in New Orleans in January and February of 2009. "It's been a great process and I'm very happy to be playing, recording, and working with these guys. They are great musicians and the spirit and intimacy they bring to the music and stage is something that really calls to me." Coffin's first recording with Dave Matthews Band is the upcoming Big Whiskey and the Groogrux King, set for release June 2, 2009.

Coffin, an alumni of the University of North Texas in Music Education, is heavily involved in clinic work as a Yamaha and Vandoren Artist working with students ranging from high school to college age. Living by the motto, "giving back is essential to moving forward", Coffin participated in the New Orleans based Tipitina's Foundation education program in early 2009. Alongside Tony Degradi, James Singleton, Roland Guerin, and Johnny Vidakovich, Coffin worked with young players interested in improvisation and learning the music rooted in New Orleans.

As a touring member of Dave Matthews Band, Coffin hopes to bring his love of a wide range of music to the band and audience members alike. "I am interested in off-the-beaten-path music of different world cultures and I love to share and discover it with others." Coffin will continue to tour as a member of the Flecktones and his own group, the Jeff Coffin Mu'tet, whenever possible. In addition to being a heralded saxophone sideman - in 2008 Coffin shared the Bonnaroo and New Year's Eve stages with jamband favorites My Morning Jacket and Umphrey's McGee - Coffin has also released four solo records on Compass Records, including 2008's Mutopia.

Dave Matthews Band tour dates available here.

[Published on: 4/10/09]

Comments

Ointment Fri 4/10/2009 12:43PM
utkochster Fri 4/10/2009 12:46PM
zachn00b star Fri 4/10/2009 12:49PM
cheesehead86 Fri 4/10/2009 12:51PM
shanky95 Fri 4/10/2009 12:54PM

he needs more paper to give back more. That Rothbury Dave set was amazing, coffin and reynolds helped make it that way. I would like to see him with Bela, but this will definately raise the quality of a live Dave show. Wait! Coffin w/ Phish @ Fenway! YES!!

chuckus Fri 4/10/2009 12:55PM

Yeah, that's gotta be a significant pay raise. Good luck, bro. I hope that continuing with the Flecktones "whenever possible" is most of the time!!

phalluscooper Fri 4/10/2009 12:58PM

phalluscooper

Quit bitching folks. Should Warren Haynes limit himself to one or two endeavors? Jeff Coffin has too many great vibes to share for just one band.

tourfan starstarstarstarstar Fri 4/10/2009 01:00PM

I for one like it. I like DMB!!! I admit it. And I gotta say, Skanky, I think you made the call! Sit in with Phish at the Fen!!!! Whooooo!!!!!

BGA1 Fri 4/10/2009 01:08PM

Not a fan of DMB. But I saw Coffin play with Mule at the Fillmore. That dude has mad skills. Would love to see him agian.

Marcsmall Fri 4/10/2009 01:08PM

Marcsmall

Cool.....Now this band has two good players in it....Carter and Jeff......Everyone else(including Dave) is meh.

Mark Price former NBA star Fri 4/10/2009 01:14PM

Mark Price former NBA star

As a fan of DMB I love that Coffin is a member. He's funky, and can play so well. I do understand why people don't like this though. I'm a fan of the Fleckstones, and that is a blow to them, but not my problem, and I find this news amazing.

cornmealinthekitchen Fri 4/10/2009 01:14PM

Nice! Jeff Coffin kicks ass!

barstoolrodeo4 Fri 4/10/2009 01:20PM

I second the quit bitching. The Flecktones hardly play anymore, so there's no reason he can't do both. Doubt the Flecktones are really paying the bills with their 5 shows a year, so why not play with one of the sickest contemporary drummers of our time?

utkochster Fri 4/10/2009 01:36PM

utkochster

he is no LeRoi but good for him....Just hope it wasnt for the fame and $$$. I admit, i have high expectations for this next CD or DMB is just gonna fade away even more.

sschaffner Fri 4/10/2009 01:42PM

sschaffner

i'll 3rd the quit bitching... most of the dmb haters are more concerned with what their fans look like and don't really understand how good the band really is, and if they weren't so worried about what people would think of them they might actually give 'em a fair listen. yeah, dave must be a real lame ass... i mean, trey was willing to work with him... huh, weird?

nomemory starstarstarstarstar Fri 4/10/2009 01:55PM

nomemory

I say good for Jeff. He's gonna be a busy guy. But, I'd bet my bottom dollar that Bela and the rest of the Flecktones are supportive in his decision. Maybe there'll come a Flecktones album that goes back to it's three piece roots? Besides, it's not either or. Very talented man.

yaitsdom Fri 4/10/2009 02:16PM

Congrats Jeff!! Condolences to DMB about Leroi, of course.. Jeff is one of the most talented musicians on the scene, hard working and one of the nicest cats ive ever met!! Ya Jeff, you deserve it bud!

TheACDCBag starstarstarstarstar Fri 4/10/2009 02:42PM

Fuck you if you say he did this because of money. DMB needed a friend to fill in when a Leroi passes and the flecktones have been there soo long it was a pretty obvious choice, plus bela is doing his own thing like he always does, how bout you read the Africa Interview. God Bless Leroi and the DMB

buddha22 Fri 4/10/2009 02:49PM

Yeah, he did it for the money, just like Phish and SCI reunited for the money. Also I am a bitter, psuedo superior d-bag

Dire46daysWolf starstarstarstarstar Fri 4/10/2009 03:06PM

Dire46daysWolf

love DMB i saw coffin sit in over the summer and hes an amazing sax player. this is good for coffin and especially good for the DMB sound. as always i miss leroi and even though his spot will never be completely filled i think coffin will do an exceptional job. can't wait to see them at nashville!

silent9bass starstarstarstarstar Fri 4/10/2009 03:12PM

silent9bass

Fuck the haters. DMB tears it up live. Who says he will never play with Bela again anyway? It's not like he was an original member to begin with. I like both bands and I know if I was Coffin I would be elated to be part of one of the most successful touring bands today.

headydb starstarstarstarstar Fri 4/10/2009 04:40PM

headydb

as for the coffin with phish at fenway, i personally think its gonna be the other way and its gonna be trey with dmb on saturday night for a killer set

lovemusical Fri 4/10/2009 05:05PM

Coffin is brilliant on the sax. He will sound great with DMB. Are all you DMB haters really pissed that Coffin left the Flecktones?(as if somehow he won't play with them ever again) or, is it just another convenient reason to hate on DMB?

bigworld Fri 4/10/2009 05:40PM

bigworld

miss ya roi

DanDMBMan Fri 4/10/2009 05:59PM

This record is gonna kick ass HUGE dMb fan here, not afraid to admit it! Hope he has fun on the road. Looking forward to DMB plus Tim plus Jeff and hopefully Trey Fenway N2!!

CeilingFan247 Fri 4/10/2009 09:11PM

SCHAFFER = way to hit the nail on the head, you are totally right.

I stoked about Coffin joining, I was hoping he was going to after LeRoi passed (R.I.P)

Coffin is awesome. DMB is awesome, I cant wait to see them again.

QUIT HATING!

lowbillyjim Sat 4/11/2009 07:25AM

more play + more bands = all good

King Rhino starstarstarstarstar Sat 4/11/2009 08:27AM

curtbraski starstarstarstarstar Sat 4/11/2009 08:33AM

curtbraski

MMJ!!!!

b-nasty Sat 4/11/2009 09:28AM

"Am I the only one who finds it ironic that a guy who died was replaced by a guy named COFFIN?"

Ironic? No. An eerie coincidence? Maybe. :)

I'm stoked for the Coffin addition. I'll be honest, and no disrespect to the dead, but I far prefer his playing to Roi's. I think DMB is going a good direction with Tim and Coffin. The last shows of last year were spectacular and I'm expecting only good things from the upcoming tour.

Soxfan5590 Sat 4/11/2009 10:11AM

Soxfan5590

He's no lerio, but if you close your eyes you can't tell the difference

JazzMillions Sat 4/11/2009 10:13AM

JazzMillions

Skeirk is where its at. coffin bores me

Bryan24 Sat 4/11/2009 10:57AM
pokey917 starstarstarstar Sat 4/11/2009 11:50AM

Jeff Coffin is a great musician. He joins 4 excellent musicians in Carter Beauford, Dave Matthews, Stefan Lessard, Tim Reynolds, and Rashwawn Ross. I understand that some of you are not musicians nor do you think outside the box very often, but this is a very talented band. If you don't like them, that's fine, but you can't there talent away. Just because it's not for you does not mean it sucks.

RIP Leroi Moore!! I like to think he is jamming with Ray Charles and Stevie Ray Vaughn, among others!

pokey917 Sat 4/11/2009 11:51AM

Got a few typos there..... Should have read before I put it up.

I also wanted to mention that I love you all!

Take Care

msd413886669 starstarstarstarstar Sat 4/11/2009 02:37PM

msd413886669

First of all R.I.P. LeRoi. I miss you tons. Second of all. Hell Yeah! Jeff Coffin was my second favorite sax player alive before last August. Now that being said. I am very pleased to see this tour. I wish I would have been able to see it last year with Tim Reynolds, but this year they have a new record coming out so that should set the tempo for the next chapter of DMB. Best of luck to the band and I'll see ya boys in August, after I get done with Phish tour. BooYeah!

rainydaywomen420 Sat 4/11/2009 08:18PM

rainydaywomen420

tim reynolds is crazy good

gregboyer star Sun 4/12/2009 08:07AM

Dave Matthews has the most annoying voice in music. The Flecktones are one of the most unique and excellent bands around. Therefore, this sucks.

laxd1314 Sun 4/12/2009 08:12AM
Wild Turkey starstarstarstarstar Sun 4/12/2009 02:08PM

Wild Turkey

GO JEFF, get your money. im sure everyone else out there wants to be a starving musician or make minimum wage at 7-11. not my taste but what a sweet gig.

monolith942 Sun 4/12/2009 07:56PM

monolith942

Coffin is more than a solid player and absolutely commands the stage anytime he's offered the chance to step forward for a solo. Anybody who saw MMJ at last year's 'Roo will remember his classy domination of their classic funk covers. Caught him with DMB at Rothbury and Blossom last year; after my Roo intro, I was impressed at how he kept it tasteful and classy, never forgetting the reason for his being there. Hope he makes another Roth appearance with somebody...

ThatFullSound Mon 4/13/2009 08:37AM

laxd, "and it's his own damn fault that he died. What moron flies when he has a punctured lung?". Oh no, man. Really?

DAMONCORY starstarstarstarstar Wed 4/15/2009 10:19AM

DAMONCORY

Jeff & Tim make this band so much better. Looking forward to their 10klf set. For discount tics use promo code 201985

TransdermalCelebration Wed 4/15/2009 02:35PM

TransdermalCelebration

no disrespect to leroi but coffin is probably the best damn sax player ive ever heard. he'll bring the fire

Jeff Kash Thu 4/16/2009 02:39PM

Jeff Kash

I can't believe they dug it up...

Jeff Kash Thu 4/16/2009 02:39PM

Jeff Kash

The new free download is worth the dig, right?

jpm9999 star Thu 4/16/2009 02:41PM

I would like this a lot more if it were only a temporary solution for dmb. Until I hear coffin with dmb my stance is that he should keep his interest with bela. Not saying that his interests are not with the flecktones, but they just go so well together its hard to imagine him anywhere else.