Steve Kimock Crazy Engine: A New Trip

I'm not as interested in playing the guitar as in what playing the guitar does to people. I know that there's a lot of power in it that I don't really have much of an understanding of, honestly - and maybe no one does, and maybe it's not the kind of thing that you understand - but I have an appreciation of the experience.

-Steve Kimock

Photo by: Susan J. Weiand

Rather than perfecting his technique onstage, Kimock is ready to use his time in this band to explore other realms of consciousness through his playing, hoping that the audience is able to experience the range of emotions particular to their own experiences. "I'm not as interested in playing the guitar as in what playing the guitar does to people," he says. "I know that there's a lot of power in it that I don't really have much of an understanding of, honestly - and maybe no one does, and maybe it's not the kind of thing that you understand - but I have an appreciation of the experience."

Steve Kimock by Susan J. Weiand
Kimock feels a responsibility to bring his good intentions to his audience, especially during this time of great potential for major social change in a positive direction.

"When you have gatherings of any kind, those are 99-percent social events. You've got to think about the energy of those gatherings and the energy that you're bringing them and what you're sending the people home with energetically," he observes. "It's a piss in the ocean, because there are a lot of people out there, but you can do what you can to bring the thing up and keep the thing going for people. It's part of the work that I signed up to do on some level when I said I wanted to play music."

Crazy Engine's broad catalog includes not only Kimock's original instrumental material, but also many blues, R&B and Motown covers that have been standards in the JGB catalog for decades. Rucker and Starks lend their voices not only to those JGB tunes they know well, but also to the instrumentals, raising the already luminous tunes to angelic heights and infusing them with a gospel spirit. Adding vocals to his tunes was something Kimock always thought might be interesting to develop but until now, he never had the opportunity.

Steve Kimock Crazy Engine
03.07.09 NorVa by Paul Kruis
"There are just so many possibilities for it that I'm really looking forward to developing," he says, admitting that although the band has practiced many tunes, the real meat of Crazy Engine's arsenal has yet to be formed. "You can't really tell until you get the thing going, because it all evolves together in a non-linear way. You don't know what's going to come up. So you can't write for the thing until you get it going, and once you get it going, the process gets more and more streamlined."

He adds that he's "happy to be at the beginning of that process, that steep part of the learning curve." He likens this genesis to "one of those Zen archer moments, where you have the bow that's impossible to lift, the string that's too tight to draw, this giant arrow, and the target is impossibly far off. You take it up anyway, and you point it and when the tension's right, it will fly."

Concertgoers should expect the unexpected from this group as they find their footing on stages across the country over the next few months. Crazy Engine is playing older music in new ways, and completely new pieces that are backed by decades of experience. In fact, Kimock plans to branch out from his usual comfort zone onstage to the extent that he may even be sharing more singing duties with Rucker, Starks and Seals when the mood strikes him.

"I sing at home a lot; I'm terrible," he says. But, keeping with his philosophy of learning and growing, "I try to learn what notes are, to sing in tune. I'm in full appreciation of the whole mystery of the voice. I bust it out for novelty effect just to see if I can."

And if the leap of faith doesn't work?

"I'm going to keep trying it until people start throwing stuff."

Download Steve Kimock Crazy Engine's shows from The NorVa earlier this month for FREE here.

Steve Kimock Crazy Engine's next show is on Thursday March 26 in Crystal Bay, NV. They also perform two nights at San Francisco's Great American Music Hall this weekend. Complete Crazy Engine tour dates available here.

For more on Steve Kimock Crazy Engine check the video here.

JamBase | Heart of It
Go See Live Music!

[Published on: 3/24/09]

Comments

kandrokitis Tue 3/24/2009 05:33PM

kandrokitis

these guys are awesome. anything kimock gets his hands on is usually great. janis is one of the coolest chicks ever. check out this free show: http://www.livedownloads.com/live-music/0,3628/Steve-Kimock-and-Friends-mp3-flac-download-3-7-2009-The-NorVa-Norfolk-VA.html

whodoyoudo Tue 3/24/2009 05:47PM

whodoyoudo

seen him with some bands

but didnt really pay atttention

but hes got my attention now

THAT TONE!!

im pumped for the wakarusa set

RambleOnShelbyRose Tue 3/24/2009 06:42PM

RambleOnShelbyRose

kimock rules. should've been the guitarist for the dead

kandrokitis Tue 3/24/2009 06:44PM

kandrokitis

not to mention that he lives only about an hour from me.

bloggersrlosers starstarstarstarstar Tue 3/24/2009 06:57PM

bloggersrlosers

Most definitely should be the dead's guitarist. going to see crazy engine up in burlington and then seeing the dead a few days later in worcester (and not missing work!) gonna be a good weekend

bigworld starstarstarstarstar Tue 3/24/2009 07:54PM

bigworld

Great read! Definitely jump on those free crazy engine sbd's from livedownloads! Steve Kimock's guitar work sounds so angelic to me. Sonic bliss.

bigworld Tue 3/24/2009 07:57PM

bigworld

http://www.archive.org/details/skf2005-05-21_16bit < Tongue n Groove with Keller. Words cant describe it... Post your faves!

tribez44 starstarstarstarstar Tue 3/24/2009 08:52PM

So excited about this Kimock project. Hopefully they get some new material going. That would be great!

Distraction_420 starstarstarstarstar Tue 3/24/2009 08:54PM

Distraction_420

Really looking forward to seeing them at All Good

gregboyer starstarstarstarstar Tue 3/24/2009 09:07PM

Kimock plays some great stuff and I'm sure this project will be interesting with Melvin Seals and JGB material, as well as hopefully some good new songs-I love Tangled Hangers as much as anybody but I've heard it too many times. Whoever thumbs-downed bigworld for the link is a dumbass. My personal favorite SK moment, although nothing rare, is 4/16/99 Stella Blue instrumental with Phil and Phriends, also on archive.org. This was perfected by Charlie Miller as well as the free NorVa shows I'm downloading right now.

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^› {¬¿¬} Wed 3/25/2009 03:54AM

that jerry like TONE Of SKB is absolute magic.

Steve is an amazing player, and has been one of my all time favorites for years now.

I am not so sure about adding vocals to old SK songs? hmmm. I like instrumentals.

threef Wed 3/25/2009 07:41AM

YEa if Kimock was in the Dead I would be all over seeing them. He was so good in RatDog a few years ago and was smoking good with Phil Back in the day. I think the 1999-2000 NYE with Zero, Derek Trucks, John Lee Hooker and KVHW was one of the best show I have seen. I can not wait to check this band out!

moephishH2O starstarstarstarstar Wed 3/25/2009 08:18AM

moephishH2O

Great read! I freakin' love Kimock. I miss the SKB lineup of Kimock, Mathis, Walters, & Holmes though. The Oregon run is going to be great! Bend > Portland > Eugene!

SlaveTotheDarkStar starstarstarstarstar Wed 3/25/2009 08:59AM

SlaveTotheDarkStar

why would you ever pick warren to play dead songs over steve? all due respect to warren, but kimock's playing is so much more reminiscent of jerry!

shackca starstar Wed 3/25/2009 09:06AM

shackca

Kimock is a maestro - freaking amazing, But he should never have blown up SKB (with Reid Mathis, Robert Walter and Rodney Holmes). SKB was his greatest band and Holmes totally jelled with his amazing playing. I understand that he really wanted to play with his son - who has great chops - but is not in Holmes league. Guess I'll just have to continue watching SKB Live and DVD bootlegs. Also I love JGB and Melvin - but JGB alone is better than this band.

Colonel Redbeard starstarstarstarstar Wed 3/25/2009 02:53PM

Colonel Redbeard

TAHOE tomorrow!!!

Hankskool Wed 3/25/2009 04:20PM

Hankskool

Yee Haw.

I have two pair of waxed skis, a fresh bag of coffee, a reservation across the street, a full tank of gas and a ticket to see these guys in Crystal Bay tommorrow night, one of my favorite musical venues this year. Anyone else heading up there. Skiing music. Skiing music. Did I leave anything out?

justin r starstarstarstarstar Wed 3/25/2009 05:39PM

justin r

kimock being on of my favorite musicians i have to admit i was slightly let down at the post phish shows, the band was a lame excuse when compared or thought of in the same league as SKB (with Reid Mathis, Robert Walter and Rodney Holmes) but hopefully they can gel and really develop into something deeper. Also the bass player looks like the kid from dazed and confused who is always grabbing his nose first thing i thought when i walked into the norva!

Hankskool Wed 3/25/2009 08:41PM

Hankskool

My favorite band of his is still the KVHW incarnation that I saw a couple of times. However, I'm willing to try anything with Mel Seals on the Hammond B3. Chug, a lug.

dcharles Wed 3/25/2009 10:18PM

i went to both of the norva shows and just want say that was some of the best music i have heard in a long time. It was incredible, the sound in norva was incredible. The recording doesn't do justice to how good it sounded. and i was sober!

nomemory starstarstarstarstar Thu 3/26/2009 06:49AM

nomemory

Kimok is amazing, in any incarnation. A great chance to see a great band, in mostly smaller venues for reasonably priced tickets (something harder and harder to come by these days). And to sweeten the pot, throwing in Melvin Seals of JGB, are you f'n kidding me?!?! He's amazing. The thing that always cracks me up about Melvin is that when he tried out for JGB, upon a friends request, he honestly didn't even know or realize who Jerry Garcia even was. After the first practice, he said something to the effect of, "your a pretty good guitarist", that's just amazing to me. The guy started out as a organ player for church gospel bands. Man, to have seen him in church would've truly made me feel the spirit of the lord.

adventuresinperception starstarstarstarstar Thu 3/26/2009 11:13AM

adventuresinperception

Kimock is God

tomorrow and saturday look out for the poncho at the GAMH in SF

WidespreadPhanic starstarstarstar Thu 3/26/2009 12:18PM

WidespreadPhanic

all good

zzach16 starstarstarstarstar Thu 3/26/2009 06:20PM

zzach16

I've been hearing Crazy Engine on Sirius 17 already. Sounds great! Good article.

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^› {¬¿¬} Fri 3/27/2009 05:53AM

slave to the dark star is RIGHT.

dcharles Sat 3/28/2009 12:06AM

slavetothedarkstar is right BUT to Phil Lesh, steve kimock doesn't exist. Had a major falling out.

torn&treyed Sun 3/29/2009 01:34PM

they picked warren, so he could sing the songs...

I heard the falling out was becuase phil tried to actually tell him how to play stuff.. you cant do that.

bistrobarry starstarstarstarstar Mon 3/30/2009 02:02PM

We stood next to the authors Husband in line at The GAMH. We told him what a great article this was and we would tell you via Jambase. Cheers. The shows were awesome too. Killer Dont Let Go on night two!

dankb23 Tue 3/31/2009 06:54AM

dankb23

no chicago love on the tour ? well maybe next year, after they are more cohesive

Mike starstarstarstarstar Tue 3/31/2009 02:55PM

Mike

It's so awesome that Janis is getting the recognition she deserves. She's one hell of a bass player and one of the nicest folks you could ever hope to meet. Check out her band, Family Groove Company. They don't disappoint.

Girard starstarstarstarstar Wed 4/1/2009 02:00PM

Girard

I agree with Mike. Janis is one hell of a bass player. She will bring it, so be ready!

WILBUR!!! starstarstarstarstar Wed 4/1/2009 02:13PM

WILBUR!!!

steve kimock sucks...

at nothing!

angelsfear Wed 4/1/2009 04:22PM

angelsfear

what would janis do? cool t-shirt!

D-Line Thu 4/2/2009 10:26AM

ive been listeing to those 2 free shows for about a week and i cant get enough of them , steve kimock sounds better then ever. reminds me of legion of mary, i dunno just very garcia/merl, whatever it is, making me think of checking a show out