Ben Harper & Relentless7 Video and Album News

Video produced by Danny Clinch

QUICKTIME
700.mov | 300.mov

WINDOWS MEDIA
700.asx | 300.asx

Ben Harper and Relentless7
In a hostile sea of disposable, throwaway singles, Ben Harper and Relentless7 have made a true album. White Lies For Dark Times (due May 5, 2009 on Virgin Records) is a timeless rock record, with a cohesive collection of music that is as raw, unrelenting and thunderous, as it is arrestingly haunting and emotional.

On the raucous opening track, "Number With No Name," Harper bellows "the very thing that drives you - can drive you insane" over an infectious guitar line and a deftly serious groove that both thumps and propels the listener. The band then brings the listener full circle in the closing track "Faithfully Remain," as Harper sings, "the truth just wastes away in all we can't explain, but I faithfully remain." The beauty of these lyrics works as a breathtaking release which balances out the anthemic urgency of songs such as "Shimmer and Shine" and "Up To You Now," both of which are surely soon to be familiar staples at radio.

This is American rock, the way it is supposed to sound and feel.

In what may possibly be the greatest "how the band formed" story ever, Harper met guitarist Jason Mozersky in the late nineties, when the lead singer of Mozersky's then band, Wan Santo Condo was working as a van driver shuttling bands back and forth to the venue for a Texas promoter. (The three members of the 7 all hail from Texas.) The part time driver, part time musician took a risk that all artists must take at some point in their lives in order to succeed. He asked the then captive Ben Harper, "Can I play you my demo?" Harper obliged, and in his own words "was blown away," and helped the band secure a record deal and release the self-titled Wan Santo Condo / Everloving Records, 2004. The band broke up after one record, but what survived was a lasting friendship between Harper and Mozersky.

In 2005, Harper began recording sessions that would become a double record entitled Both Sides of the Gun (2006, Virgin Records). He invited his now long time friend Mozersky to lay down some guitar work on a track. Upon invitation to continue recording the next day, Jason arrived at the studio with longtime friends, drummer Jordan Richardson and bassist Jesse Ingalls. The session would spawn not only the song "Serve Your Soul" but the framework for Relentless7.

In the summer of 2008, the chance arrived for these four uniquely talented members to reunite in the studio and dig deeper into the chemistry that was born during the Both Sides of the Gun sessions. It was soon apparent that their instincts were correct as the record quickly began to take shape. The songs from White Lies For Dark Times sound off with both the vast musical depth and experience of Harper, while commanding the pure urgency and intensity of an unknown band fighting for its life.

This is clear in the song "Fly One Time" with the lyric "I'm caught in between what I can't leave behind, and what I may never find" where Ben Harper & Relentless7 capture universal emotion while the song pulsates into a bass, drum and electric guitar anthem that would captivate any arena and crush any small club.

In November 2008, the band debuted their new material on the Vote For Change Tour, where they also breathed new life into the Queen/David Bowie classic "Under Pressure," which has since become a staple of their live set. They ended the year cutting their teeth with a series of small club shows from famed venues such as Spaceland and The Mint in Los Angeles, to The Mercury Lounge and Kenny's Castaway in NYC (read the live review here). The band is scheduled to tour extensively across the world in 2009.

Ben Harper & Relentless7 intelligently has one foot in Harper's past while every other limb and appendage reach towards the future. Any preconceptions or misconceptions in regards to a "Ben Harper sound" must now be adjusted, or thrown out all together. With Ben Harper & Relentless7, the story of modern rock music is now being rewritten.

Ben Harper and Relentless7 tour dates available here.

[Published on: 3/10/09]

Comments

Flat5 Tue 3/10/2009 12:33PM

Flat5

aw man i really wanted to like this

MaSonDiego Tue 3/10/2009 12:48PM

If Ben Harper wants to rock out a little harder, he still needs to stand up!

Umphomey Tue 3/10/2009 01:08PM

Umphomey

Its not an experience if you can't bring someone along, http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewProfile&friendID=257372233

CHECK IT OUT

Badgerboy Tue 3/10/2009 01:11PM

Badgerboy

hmm......not what I was expecting. Not really what i was wanting..but i guess some people will dig it.

Not sure that should headline allgood??

irtimed Tue 3/10/2009 01:11PM

irtimed

from the recording I heard at xmas jam it sounds cool.

WidespreadMule3 Tue 3/10/2009 01:12PM

WidespreadMule3

i cant wait to see relentless7 in may! i've always been a big ben harper fan even tho his last few albums have been a little mediocre. but this sounds like a great "distraction" from the innocent criminals. i really look forward to seeing where this project goes.

strawberryJAMmer starstarstarstar Tue 3/10/2009 01:31PM

strawberryJAMmer

Ben Harper doesn't need to stand up to rock out. Try seeing him live. He'll blow your mind.

OurBandCouldBeYourLife Tue 3/10/2009 01:48PM

OurBandCouldBeYourLife

I've never been that big a Ben Harper fan but Relentless 7 tore the Independent in SF down in December, SEE THIS BAND.

Parsonsgoggles Tue 3/10/2009 02:17PM

Parsonsgoggles

I thought they were CRAP at the Independent in December and I would advise you to NOT SEE THIS BAND!!!

Parsonsgoggles Tue 3/10/2009 02:20PM

Parsonsgoggles

While I might have been wrong about this project moving forward, I will stand by my comment after the show in December, this stuff is crap.

dankb23 Tue 3/10/2009 02:32PM

dankb23

man they picked the worst song on the album to make a video too..

they got some good songs tho.. this clip just stabbed a potential fanbase in the eye tho...

irtimed starstarstarstarstar Tue 3/10/2009 02:40PM

irtimed

I think it's a great band.

kayaker247 Tue 3/10/2009 07:36PM

kayaker247

I'm a BHIC fan from way back, and I know there's been some dudes along the way, but I think that video rocked out pretty good! I heard that tune a few weeks ago and I was like, ehh, but I think the video made it better. Maybe I heard it better...

rainydaywomen420 Tue 3/10/2009 08:27PM

rainydaywomen420

ben harper is really great, the innocent criminals are by all means great, relentless seven(what sort of signifigance does a name like that even hold) is really not great, at all. and yes i apologize in advance for my ignorant opinionated babble that noone wants to hear anyhow

jazzfester starstarstarstarstar Wed 3/11/2009 07:13AM

I like it. Looking forward to Jazzfest.

DeliMan starstarstarstarstar Wed 3/11/2009 12:10PM

DeliMan

I don't care what anyone says I'm so friggin psyched to see this set at bonnaroo. For me personally it's probably a top 10 if not top 5 shows i wanna see while I'm there

nomemory Thu 3/12/2009 02:07PM

nomemory

I'd rate ben harper at about a 7 on my scale of 1-10, musically. However, based on the interviews I've seen him do, I'd rate the size of his ego at about a 9.5 or so. Not a big fan of self righteous musicians, but at the same time, I don't know him personally, just going from the interviews I've seen. Jack Johnson considers him a friend, so maybe he's not that bad. I saw him with the criminals twice, once for free at university of santa barbara back in about 98, and then again about five years ago. He knows music, but I wasn't sure how moved I really was at the end of the shows. Technical knowledge is great, but at the end of the day what matters is if you're moved, right? But, if he's happy, good for him.

marleybeet2031 Wed 3/18/2009 06:30PM

ah man.. ben's voice is so awesome. i dig it.. bummer i can't make it to all good this year.. i bet it'll be incredible!