War Child: Heroes Cover Album
War Child has announced the full list of artists and songs for their new album Heroes. Set for release on Parlophone on February 16, the album's concept was to get some of the biggest legends in music history to select one of their personal favorite songs from their own songwriting canon, and nominate a music hero from the next generation to create a modern reworking of that classic song.
The Heroes track list in full:
1. Beck, "Leopard-Skin Pill-Box Hat" (Bob Dylan)
2. The Kooks, "Victoria" (The Kinks)
3. The Hold Steady, "Atlantic City" (Bruce Springsteen)
4. Hot Chip, "Transmission" (Joy Division)
5. Lily Allen feat. Mick Jones, "Straight To Hell" (The Clash)
6. Yeah Yeah Yeahs, "Sheena Is A Punk Rocker" (The Ramones)
7. Franz Ferdinand, "Call Me" (Blondie)
8. Duffy, "Live And Let Die" (Paul McCartney)
9. Estelle, "Superstition" (Stevie Wonder)
10. Rufus Wainwright, "Wonderful/Song For Children" (Brian Wilson)
11. Scissor Sisters, "Do The Strand" (Roxy Music)
12. Peaches, "Search And Destroy" (Iggy Pop)
13. Adam Cohen, "Take This Waltz" (Leonard Cohen)
14. Elbow, "Running To Stand Still" (U2)
15. The Like, "You Belong To Me" (Elvis Costello)
16. TV on the Radio, "Heroes" (David Bowie)
Guy Garvey of Elbow commented: "War Child do exactly what it says on the tin. These kids shouldn't be in such circumstances in the first place, but they are, so thank god someone's doing something about it."
Sir Paul McCartney said: "I have been supporting War Child since 1995. Their work with children in war zones saves lives and their work with those who take decisions that help them to do something about it saves even more lives. The breadth of talent on this project is amazing; it's great that so many people gave their time, energy and support to this initiative. I urge everyone to support War Child."
EMI has made a substantial upfront payment to War Child, and will release the album on its Parlophone label.
Parlophone are donating all their profits to War Child's work to protect the most marginalized children in war zones, who would otherwise be overlooked: street children, child soldiers and children in prison.
War Child is an international charity, founded in 1993 and works in the world's most dangerous war zones including Iraq, Afghanistan, Uganda and the Democratic Republic of Congo. War Child aims to protect children who are hit hardest by war and its consequences. 66% of people who die in conflict are children.
You can help these children in need when you pre-order the album here. All proceeds go to War Child.