The Juan Maclean Live

The Juan Maclean Live

"It's house music as played by a live band, oozing with personality, attitude, and disco funk." -Mix Magazine, May 2008

The Juan Maclean
Riding high on their overseas success touring with Cut Copy in Australia and a slew of European festivals, The Juan MacLean are touring through September. The previous tour was in celebration of "Happy House," the massive international club hit being spun ubiquitously from Ibiza to Santo's Party House in NYC, but this tour will be bringing "The Simple Life," the second track to be introduced on September 15 (UK) /16 (US) from the forthcoming album The Future Will Come.

Pitchfork proclaimed that epic single, "Happy House," is both happy and housey as all get out, but over its dozen never wasted minutes it moves thru several other iterations -- pop tune, dubbed-out instrumental, pulsing techno, with LCD SOUNDSYTEM's, Nancy Whang, who wrote the track with Maclean, holding it all down in the DIVA role."

Now, drastically different "The Simple Life" is an effective mixture of dark arpeggiated synth and militant italo disco drumming, with each bass line and chord change a step towards the light, which in this case belongs to Nancy Whang and the melancholy ambience her presence exudes. She trades verses back and forth with Juan himself, who comes on like a robot in therapy, slowly enunciating love confessions like "promises I never meant, it's just what I had to do."

Juan and Nancy will be supported on stage by Nick Millhiser and Gerry Fuchs (!!! and Turing Machine).

The Juan MacLean's new album, The Future Will Come, is due out in early 2009.

The Juan Maclean Tour Dates:

09/26: Chapel Hill @ Local 508
09/28: Baltimore, MD @ Ottobar
09/29: Washington, DC @ Black Cat
09/30: Philadelphia, PA @ Johnny Brendas
10/18: New York. NY @ Bowery Ballroom

[Published on: 8/29/08]

Comments

HoodooVoodoo Fri 8/29/2008 10:18AM

HoodooVoodoo

Why is there a "The" before the dude's name? I guess this guy was no English major in college.

shinjuku starstarstarstarstar Fri 8/29/2008 10:46AM

shinjuku

Dover NH Represent!

lovemusicfood starstar Fri 8/29/2008 10:53AM

They were playing that song at the gym the other day.

drdank551 starstarstarstarstar Fri 8/29/2008 11:43AM

drdank551

I have heard nothing but good good things about this, protege of James Murphy, and a full album, I would gaurantee a slot for these guys at Coachella '09!!!

chidodger Fri 8/29/2008 04:15PM

chidodger

Caught a little bit of this guy's set at Rothbury, it was pretty good. Fit perfectly with the Tripolee Domes Stage. God, I miss Rothbury.

dsexauer Sat 8/30/2008 06:38PM

in response to hoodoovoodoo, juan maclean is not his name

easterluke starstarstarstarstar Sat 8/30/2008 10:18PM

I realize no one really cares which of us freaked-out-heads go to which amazing shows we all have to choose from (tho I do often find it quite interesting..), but I can't help saying I am so stoked about the Atlanta show!!!! I love The Juan Maclean, and with who he's got backing him up from !!! & **LCD**, this shit should be off the hook...my only disappointment is that it's at the shitty Masquerade instead of the Tabernacle which would be a much more appropriate venue..I mean, hell, you can't get away with smokin dope at either of 'em...GONNA BE A SICK NEXT COUPLE MONTHS!! Also coming up: {check your local area right here on your friendly JAMBASE :)} The Dandy Warhols, Old Crow!! [2 nights at the Ryman!!], Bassnectar (*once again* - I formally invited the man himself to Nashvegas!), Girl Talk, and finally toppin it off with Umphrey's since the final run of STS9/Umph at the damn Masquerade was CANCELLED due to a poor outdoor setup from the massive downpour. Poor hippies...At least we all got our money back(minus the "convenience" fees).Luckily I've already contacted the Masquerade and this [The] Juan Maclean is an indoor show!! So no worries, it WILL rock your socks off guaranteed. I'm done and love all of you (except the ones I hate, like you give a shit anyhow). Happy jammin/boogyin to you all!

Flat5 Sat 8/30/2008 11:16PM

Flat5

anything oozing with disco funk sounds like a nightmare to me!

HoodooVoodoo starstarstarstarstar Mon 9/1/2008 02:51PM

HoodooVoodoo

I prefer post-disco-punk-electro-pop

parkfresh starstarstarstarstar Wed 9/3/2008 07:30AM

parkfresh

Love the juan maclean , ill be at the ny show.