The Mars Volta Add DatesOmar Shares Greatest Gtr Cover

THE MARS VOLTA ANNOUNCE ADDITIONAL U.S. HEADLINE DATES
AUSTIN CITY LIMITS FESTIVAL APPEARANCE CONFIRMED
OMAR RODRIGUEZ LOPEZ ON ROLLING STONE GREATEST GUITARISTS COVER

The Mars Volta
"The Mars Volta is a progressive-rock whirlwind, constructing maniacally complex music and performing it with a mixture of rigorous virtuosity, psychedelic euphoria and punk intensity... still rock's finest avatar of excess." -Jon Pareles, New York Times

Upon completion of their current trek through Japan, Australia, New Zealand, the U.K. and Europe, The Mars Volta will return to the U.S. for a run of headline dates beginning September 12 in Columbus and capped off by an appearance at the Austin City Limits festival.

The tour opener will be a make-up performance of the band's twice-canceled previous engagement in Columbus. "Vamos de veras!"

In other news from planet Volta, the band's own Omar Rodriguez-Lopez shares the current cover of Rolling Stone with guitar legends Jimmy Page, Eddie Van Halen and B.B. King. The magazine's 100 Greatest Guitar Songs special issue features an in-depth Q&A with Omar, as well as The Mars Volta track "Drunkship of Lanterns" placing in the top 100.

Confirmed dates are as follows:
09/12/08 Fri Lifestyle Communities Pavilion Columbus, OH
09/14/08 Sun Orpheum Theater Boston, MA
09/17/08 Wed Hammerstein Ballroom New York, NY
09/20/08 Sat Electric Factory Philadelphia, PA
09/23/08 Tue Asheville Civic Center Asheville, NC
09/24/08 Wed The Tabernacle Atlanta, GA
09/26/08 Fri Zilker Park Austin, TX M

Complete international dates available here...

[Published on: 6/2/08]

Comments

ScIFreak starstarstarstarstar Mon 6/2/2008 12:11PM
C00lmike Mon 6/2/2008 12:27PM

C00lmike

^wow

bigfro Mon 6/2/2008 12:27PM
laxma13951 Mon 6/2/2008 12:37PM

The MARS VOLTA put on an AMAZING show. Side note: philly date is listed as 9/20 above, but listed as 9/21 on the electric factory site and ticketmaster.

surlybuf Mon 6/2/2008 12:39PM

The Mars rip you fools!

Conjugal Burning starstarstarstarstar Mon 6/2/2008 12:43PM

Conjugal Burning

HOLY SHIT!!!!!!

Conjugal Burning Mon 6/2/2008 12:59PM

Conjugal Burning

They may have cancelled on me twice, then changed venues to a larger one, but Volta outdoors= nothing better. Hopefully they are well rested and healthy

UmphVolta Mon 6/2/2008 01:10PM

This is such good news, I havent seen them since their Frances tour in 2005.

Lets just hope the efactory show doesnt sell out as fast as it did last january.

bobertjohnson Mon 6/2/2008 01:15PM
jahcalling Mon 6/2/2008 01:33PM

I wish this band would put out another Deloused

Swabeky Mon 6/2/2008 01:35PM

I'll be there in Columbus. Never seen them and not a huge fan but from what people tell me, I have to see them.

21mmer Mon 6/2/2008 01:47PM

21mmer

not to hijack this thread but the mention of the rs top 100 guitarists piqued my interest so i just had to go see how terrible of a job they did. fortunately, rolling stne did not disappoint....this list was MUCH WORSE than i could have imagined. lowlites include #12 kurt cobain over #13 jerry garcia #40 john fogerty over #42 robert fripp #48 joe perry over #49 john mclaughlin #70 eddie van halen and #72 joni mitchell over #73 trey.

laughable!

you can see the whole list for your viewing displeasure here: http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/5937559/the_100_greatest_guitarists_of_all_time/

21mmer Mon 6/2/2008 01:55PM

21mmer

^^this may be an older list. my bad. although it is still terrible.

deadphish001 Mon 6/2/2008 03:10PM
jimmy row Mon 6/2/2008 03:10PM
RothburyWithCheese starstarstarstarstar Mon 6/2/2008 03:11PM

RothburyWithCheese

Mars Volta rules!! Much better than RadioSnoozeButton

gmoo Mon 6/2/2008 03:18PM

gmoo

Rolling Stone is such a joke. Like I really care what David Fricke thinks about music. TMV is alright, but not as deep as people give them credit for. I'd rather listen to Jake Cinniger, John Mclaughlin, Al Di Meola, Jimmy Herring or Trey Anastacio. Those are the 5 alive that I would roll with.

Ointment Mon 6/2/2008 03:21PM

Ointment

I seen the mars volta in philly opening up for the peppers a while back, and i admit they didn't sound to great. i think it was just because those big venues arent for them, because i seen them a while later at the tla for their own show and they completely blew my mind, one of the best shows i have ever seen. the mars volta are absolutely one of the best live performances touring right now. f all of you haters you don't know shit. the mars volta rules!!!!!!

sman Mon 6/2/2008 05:25PM

sman

Yeah, Asheville... Looking forward to it

trpnbily87 Tue 6/3/2008 12:53AM

I looked forward to seeing them for 2+ years. Went the other week in Denver. I really thought it was too much, 8 really talented guys playing over each other so you cant make out much of anything. The studio stuff trumps their live show.

Too much experimentalism for my tastes, it seemed so haphazard without much melody.

That said, the drummer RIPPED. seriously, he killed nonstop for 2 hours.

catch22qs Tue 6/3/2008 06:39AM

i was unbelievably pissed when they canceled columbus twice. both times were less than 3 hours before the show started. let me down a lot. i was excited to see them and i liked their music a little, but after those experiences i dont like them as human beings. now they are playing at a worse venue for the makeup show. im still going to use my old tickets but im never going to see them again after that.

acomma Tue 6/3/2008 07:04AM

acomma

They have a very talented drummer... but I usually equate their music with the sound of nails screeching on a chalkboard. I don't dig.

silent9bass starstarstarstarstar Tue 6/3/2008 07:28AM

silent9bass

They better bring it in Columbus. Seriously canceled twice. First time was in advance. Second, they literally had their shit set up at the Newport, decided they "couldn't" play and unloaded gear with a huge line of fans outside to watch. Very unprofessional, at least their music is! I can't wait, because they really do owe their Columbus, OH fans big time. Not ripping on the music once again, just their bitching out.

silent9bass starstarstarstarstar Tue 6/3/2008 07:30AM

silent9bass

to catch22qs, I may be incorrect about the first time, as I did not plan to go to that. To say the LC pavillion is worse than the Newport is simply untrue. If you live on OSU campus, I could understand just out of convienence, but LC has way better sound equipment and is a much much larger venue, especailly if it's and outdoor show.

msd413886669 starstarstarstarstar Tue 6/3/2008 08:33AM

msd413886669

Hey SCIFreak. You don't know shit. I was at that show in Grand Rapids MI and I flew there from Ft. Lauderdale FL just to see that show, and it was amazing. Even tho they were in between drummers. The guy they had at that show was still sick as hell. An amazing concert, and I wish he would have knocked you out. Would have been awesome. I'm glad to hear that some douche bag that listens to Cheese thinks Volta sucks. It just validates even further how ridiculous the fans of Cheese truly are. They all think that Cheese is better than Phish and every other band for that matter. All the more reason why the vibe at their shows makes me yawn. Have fun coming back with all of the negative comments. I'll be laughing at reactions for days over this thread. I know it. Volta is the shit.

Conjugal Burning starstarstarstarstar Tue 6/3/2008 09:24AM

Conjugal Burning

the selfish side of me really wants all you peeps who dont get the epic live shows of TMV to stay the hell away. Those of us who know, I shall see you up close... I'll be posted up on Ikey's side

ScIFreak starstarstarstarstar Tue 6/3/2008 06:26PM

ScIFreak

^^^^ HAHAHAH first of all if you want to talk about VIBES I've never had Bill Nershie or Trey Anastasio walk around and knock my beer out of my hands. And I don't think SCI is better than Phish. Both are better than Mars Volta anyway. And I can name 60+ bands that I have seen perform live that are more worthy than Mars Volta. And I am not going to feel offended because you had a blast getting beer all over you ( that's only if you were on the floor, then you could actually hear how shitty they sounded.) Red Hot Chilli Peppers should ditch these guys.... I hope my comment is "funny" enough for you.....

ScIFreak starstarstarstarstar Tue 6/3/2008 06:31PM

ScIFreak

Oh and this is JAMBASE.COM if you want to talk about your emo- marsvolta, and you're shitty tool or any of the 15 shitty bands you have listed in your profile go on MTV or Rollingstonesmagazine.com If mars volta wanted to jam they should learn to play music first.

Ointment starstarstarstarstar Tue 6/3/2008 10:00PM

Ointment

^douchebag emo- marsvolta????????

msd413886669 starstarstarstarstar Wed 6/4/2008 07:58AM

msd413886669

That's all you had. Pfff, whatever. I love all types of music, and Jambase is much bigger than the hippie scene, so go on tour if you want to be a real gutter. Oh I forgot, your bands don't exist anymore. HaHa. But Phish IS better than cheese even tho they shouldn't even be compared. 15 shitty bands, what now MMW and Phish are shitty bands, ha you're a tool.

Hell ya conjugal burning. I can't wait to see them outdoors. Hopefully by their next tour, they'll be able to do some sick ass outdoor venues. Keep jammin man, forget all the bums that can't enjoy the sounds of diversity. Viva La Volta.

ScIFreak starstarstarstarstar Wed 6/4/2008 08:13AM

ScIFreak

Learn how to count, you have 16 bands, minus Phish (that I respect very, very, very, much) is equal to.... Yeah you got it 15 BANDS you idiot... "Sounds Of Diversity" yea I'm sure you get that between you're Tool and Mars Volta. And the Hippie scene started jambase, I'd like to see what type of good things came out from people touring Mars Volta. Oh yea wait, people don't tour shitty bands that can't reinvent themselves night after night. How about this you have fun paying $7 Beers and have them knock out of you hands by some "scream-o" in tight pants.....

PS: I'd rather listen to any SCI or Phish tapes than to go see another Mars Volat show

Conjugal Burning starstarstarstarstar Wed 6/4/2008 09:16AM

Conjugal Burning

"red hot chili peppers should ditch these guys"- what the hell is that even supposed to mean? Arent they dead like your other favorite bands? you think Omar twists John's arm to be on every album? No... Frusiante sees Omar as he is, a visionary who is a master at his craft. I am sure Flea was held up at gunpoint to lay down the bass on de-loused as well. Stop dwelling on Cedric knocking a beer out of some drunk fratboys hands... he probably deserved it. On a side note your boy big red called Tool the most psychedelic band out there at the moment. Oh and another side not.. Omar followed the dead, so there is your precious connection to your possesive hippie scene, not to mention they jam every night and reach heights you dont seem to fathom

Conjugal Burning starstarstarstarstar Wed 6/4/2008 09:24AM

Conjugal Burning

I have seen Phish, and Cheese. Phish waaay more than cheese, and I think you need to experience what your mind can't wrap itself around yet SCIfreak. You are so hostile, you need to chill out man. Instead of buying a $7 beer, I will give you a substance worth relatively the same value.. We will listen to a few albums like Frances and Amputechture, and then you may see what TMV jams are all about. Instead of your typical jams they take you on journeys that stab the listener in the ear at points, yet paint beautiful landscapes at the same time that bring you back for more. De-Loused came out on my 18th birthday, and I didn't get it. TMV takes a while to understand, but it has grabbed me and It wont let go. Listen to Cedric's voice as an instrument, Improvising all over the place. You really need to see a different show and your perspective will change drastically I assure you.

msd413886669 Wed 6/4/2008 09:50AM

msd413886669

plain and simple, conjugal burnings has put it better than I could. He really understands what the music is about, and knows what to listen for. Your descriptions are perfect man. I agree with everything you said, except I loved Volta on first listen, but I could easily see how it would take some time for people to get it. It took me months to appreciate at the drive-in, but once it made sense the music was phenomenal. You have to realize that sound editing plays a huge role and that's why it is hard to appreciate it, but you can't take that out on the musician. Money makes all music sound better. But true musicians understand this already. Nice conjugal, can't wait to meet you someday man. Peace out SCIfool

Ointment starstarstarstarstar Wed 6/4/2008 11:50AM

Ointment

couldn't of said it any better conjugal

vollostcom Thu 6/5/2008 12:45AM

vollostcom

gawddamn let it all be, if you like it, then like it, i have no opinion in this matter but SCIFREAK ive always respected your views on here, and dont give a shit about what these people say, love my phish, love my cheese, ready for that cheese reunion before i even start to get my phixins, just one thing...dont ever talk shit about my wilco....hahaha, love ya dude, maybe see ya soon down the road soon

frinkazoid Mon 6/9/2008 02:57PM

frinkazoid

Saw them @ Vegoose in '06... It was a little strange but so was the whole event.

Naima1 Tue 6/10/2008 08:17AM

I LOVE Mars Volta. I can't wait to see them at the Asheville Civic Center. So far, my summer is going to be jam-packed with awesome music between Vortex in the Civic Center, Trinumeral at Deerfields, and Mars Volta at the Civic Center.

djacoustic starstarstarstarstar Thu 9/11/2008 10:49AM

djacoustic

SCIFreak:

I would be my left nut that Trey and the rest of the boys listen to, know, and respect The Mars Volta. I can also guarentee everyone of the members of both Phish and SCI wish they could write like Radiohead and love everything they have ever done. As a "hippie" you have to know that the essence of "hippie" is the ability to listen to and respect EVERY kind of music. You are a douschebag and are the reason I have dissassociated myself with the term "hippie". People like you have ruined the term. Spoiled tour kids with nothing but Daddy's money and an overwhelming sense of entitlement. If all of you guys would stop showing up to shows and festivals they would be much better. Hippies like you are about as usefull as an asshole on an elbow. GET A GODDAMN JOB!