Byrne & Eno Back At Work

David Byrne & Brian Eno Back At Work On "Electronic Gospel"

Eno & Byrne
The Daily Swarm and Drowned In Sound are reporting some seriously exciting news. According to these reliable sources, David Byrne and Brian Eno are reuniting for a new album and apparently a tour.

From Drowned In Sound:

The dream art-rock team of David Byrne and Brian Eno will return with new, strange fruit soon, the former Talking Heads man told NME.com recently. Speaking at an event in New York, Byrne revealed that the duo had rekindled the relationship they formed in the late 70s/early 80s which resulted in three Talking Heads records and 1981's classic My Life In the Bush of Ghosts...

"I'm finishing up a record with Brian Eno, a musician that I worked with 30 years ago," Byrne said following an appearance with Paul Simon at the Brooklyn Academy of Music on the 9th of April. "We did a record together of songs, and that'll come out."

The NY Daily News supports the claim, adding:

Byrne told us he's collaborating with their mutual friend Brian Eno "for the first time in 20 years. Brian had written a lot of music, but needed some words, which I know how to do. What's it sound like? Electronic gospel. That's all I'm saying."

Sources say the album will likely be released via Nonesuch, but probably not until 2009 before the end of the year.

In the meantime, David Byrne's booking agent at William Morris Agency, Mark Geiger, has been soliciting offers from a number of different promoters around the United States for Byrne/Eno live shows, promising the set list will consist of at least 40% Eno-era Talking Heads material. No word yet on if he’s had any takers. Most of the tour is already booked.

[Published on: 4/18/08]

Comments

jtcincy starstarstarstarstar Fri 4/18/2008 11:28AM

jtcincy

Hell Yeah. Bad ASS!!!!

21mmer starstarstarstarstar Fri 4/18/2008 11:42AM

21mmer

this is VERY good news, indeed. amazing music has been created when these got together. now all we need is for byrne to get the band back together.

45king Fri 4/18/2008 11:43AM

^^^My sentiments exactly

Tan starstarstarstarstar Fri 4/18/2008 11:48AM

Tan

Oh god. Yes!!!11!!

MaseBase starstarstarstarstar Fri 4/18/2008 12:14PM

MaseBase

Gezus! Can't wait!!

kirkbrew starstarstarstarstar Fri 4/18/2008 12:21PM

kirkbrew

This is cool, but the headline I want to see is "Byrne, Harrison, Weymouth and Frantz Together Again"

Any time you can see Byrne live - do it. I have only seen him twice in '91 and '98. Both were great shows and it looked like he was having the time of his life.

soulink starstarstarstarstar Fri 4/18/2008 12:27PM

soulink

Words can not express how excited I am.

kirkbrew starstarstarstarstar Fri 4/18/2008 12:28PM

kirkbrew

40% Talking Heads/Eno material? Thats "More Songs About Buildings and Food", "Fear of Music" and "Remain In Light".

As for a Talking Heads reunion, I Wikied to check the above and found this quote by Tina describing Byrne as "a man incapable of returning friendship". "Cutting off attachments when a thing/person is perceived to have served its purpose or there is a perceived threat to ego is the lifelong pattern of his relations".”

Yikes!!!

Death Cube K starstarstarstarstar Fri 4/18/2008 12:48PM

Death Cube K

That is scary. I know Tina's son... kid is perma spunderoo.

snappy starstarstarstarstar Fri 4/18/2008 01:34PM

snappy

Fab news but what would really send it over the top for me is if this tour they're soliciting also promised 10-20% of Eno vocal/rock material from Tiger Mountain, Here Come the Warm Jets, Before And After Science, etc. I think I would lose my freakin' mind if I got to hear this pair do "King's Lead Hat" live.

numbcarnelian starstarstarstarstar Fri 4/18/2008 02:55PM

numbcarnelian

BIGGEST TOUR OF THE CENTURY.

CaptColorado starstarstarstarstar Fri 4/18/2008 04:43PM

THIS SOUNDS GREAT! That paired with ACL Fest just announcing their lineup this week with none other than Mr Burns (eeeexcelent) himself near the top of the Headliners list!!! Now to say that I am a Talking Heads fan would be puttng it lightly, but there is something tha everone here needs to do if they haven't already done. You must find a copy of the greatest concert film ever, STOP MAKING SENSE and watch it A.S.A.F.P. I grew up listening to it, but after I actually SAW it did everything finally MAKE SENSE!!! Much like Little Feat's epic "Waiting For Columbus", This has got to be one of the most influencial LIVE albums to the "JAM" scene. I have seen almost EVERY one my heroes in concert, but never got to see the Heads. I have seen Byrne twice and it was SOOOOO wonderful both times. As far as a TH reunion, I am HIGHLY DOUBTFUL. The only way it happen is if Byrne needed the money and extended the olive branch. Unlikely; if he keeps pulling great ideas out of his arse like the ENO pairing, he will remain too financially solvent for my Talkiing Heads reunion show to ever happen outside my dreams. :-(

Nick1257 Fri 4/18/2008 04:55PM

Nick1257

OH SHIT.... this is it... Ive seen byrne twice, off the hook.

whodoyoudo Fri 4/18/2008 05:30PM

whodoyoudo

Sounds like this guy i know

i believe it

some folks are just colder

flygolf Fri 4/18/2008 08:11PM

flygolf

Is it still possible to sub out Jack Johnson with Eno/Byrne for festival headliners?

Beaser starstarstarstarstar Fri 4/18/2008 11:59PM

Beaser

my face is melting

Hankskool Sat 4/19/2008 02:14AM

Hankskool

Fantastic. Maybe while they're at it they can re add the song "Q Ran" to the re release of "My Life in the Bush of Ghosts". I gave my album copy away years ago. When I re purchased it digitally Q Ran was excluded. My favorite song of that little four song run starting with "Help Me Somebody". I figured they must have been worried about getting the Salomon Rushdie treatment if they pushed their luck so they left it off. One of the best albums I own. Can't wait to hear the new work.

DaKracken starstarstarstarstar Sat 4/19/2008 05:57AM

What a great way to start a weekend morning! Brian Eno can do no wrong for me-Ditto, long time fan first time caller.. I love to hear people wail on an instrument but it takes visionaries like Eno, Lanois, Laswell, Terry Date etc as producers to manipulate and tweak those sounds to create greatness. Brian Eno invented ambient (at least coined the term and philosophy of music as wallpaper) mixing and recording technology and is as influential as any musician in the history of music-just behind the scenes in addition to his own music. I can't wait to buy this album as Bryne/Eno are a one two knockout punch.

moejoerisin Sat 4/19/2008 10:19AM

moejoerisin

hallelujah.. my life in the bush of ghosts is one of the most ground-breaking and musically supreme albums ever made.

Detroit Funk starstarstarstarstar Sun 4/20/2008 11:52AM

Detroit Funk

finally!

PCPrabbit Tue 4/22/2008 06:36AM

PCPrabbit

siiick. now how about a full write up about the byrne/simon shows? i was at friday and saturday and they had to add extra nails to the roof so it wouldn't be blown off. they didn't allow pics so i mainly want to gank someone else's!

djdaddyp starstarstarstarstar Thu 4/24/2008 01:22PM

djdaddyp

This is great but I would really like to see The Beatles reunite!

but no seriously folks this Bryne/Eno project is going to be Heaven.

Mikey72 starstarstarstarstar Fri 5/16/2008 07:33AM

FYI -- the Atlanta newspaper says Byrne will be at the Chastain Music Park on Sept. 20 with a show of Byrne/Eno music. No word on who will be in the band, or if Eno himself will be there.

Related Goods