The Brakes Album Due on Hyena

THE BRAKES Sign With HYENA Records
Debut Full Length Album TALE OF TWO CITIES
Recorded Live In New York City & Philadelphia Due In May 2008

Stream Advance Tracks Here / Download A Free MP3 Of "Into The Ground" Here

The Brakes
The Brakes, a Philadelphia-based band of twenty-somethings intent on staking a claim to the rich lineage of American rock and roll music, have signed with HYENA Records. They'll release their debut full-length album, Tale Of Two Cities, on May 6. The 12-track collection was recorded live during a dual city residency in the spring of 2007. The band headed up the New Jersey Turnpike every Tuesday to set up shop at The Knitting Factory in New York City, while getting cozy with hometown fans every Thursday at MilkBoy in Philadelphia. Each show was recorded and the best performances from both cities were assembled, including stand-outs versions of "Into The Ground," "Danger Blues," "Song Of Imponderables" and "Empty House."

Tale Of Two Cities finds The Brakes at an idyllic time in their evolution, transitioning between an intimate neighborhood listening room and a legendary big city rock club. But more importantly, it captures a young rock band coming of age, clearly electrified by the music they're making. The Brakes seamlessly intertwine infectious indie-pop circa Ram-era Paul McCartney, crunchy California rock in the spirit of The James Gang and starry-eyed British psychedelia akin to Traffic. The resulting breadth of vision belies a band whose oldest member is 23-years old.

Additionally, The Brakes have announced four dates opening for Jackie Greene. More shows will be announced shortly. The dates are:

04/29/08 Tue Highline Ballroom New York, NY
04/30/08 Wed Downstairs Live @ World Cafe Live Philadelphia, PA
05/01/08 Thu Paradise Rock Club Boston, MA
05/02/08 Fri Recher Theatre Towson, MD

[Published on: 2/27/08]

Comments

UmphNugget starstarstarstar Wed 2/27/2008 11:54AM

UmphNugget

philly representing. check em out!

Broad starstarstarstarstar Wed 2/27/2008 01:32PM

I grew up in the Northeast and have seen The Brakes perform many times. I am surprised that they haven't gotten more attention in the music scene by now. Their song writing is some of the best I've heard in a very long time and they also put on a great live show. I'd like to see them get the recognition they deserve, and hopefully I'll be reading more stories about them on websites like this one and others.

danshapiro2 Wed 2/27/2008 03:11PM

I've seen the Brakes a handful of times and they have always been spot on. Crisp harmonies and tight breakdowns complement their catchy hooks nicely. If you are in or around the area of one of their shows, I highly recommend you give them a shot...guaranteed good time.

Boomtown32 starstarstarstarstar Wed 2/27/2008 03:19PM

Boomtown32

so I stumbled into one of their shows at a historic venue in Beantown after being hypnotized by the melodic tunes resonating over some idiot screaming about the sox or pats or whatever useless sports team this sad group of people live every day for. Word of mouf from some of my philly boeeys put me front and center and I was more than pleasantly surprised. No, it wasnt the street smack, egytpian black tar, hydroponic ganja or any other mind altering substance that was driving my euphoria but the pure jamtastic home groove that put the sharp crease in my dance pants. this band is legit! I need more bands like this filling the airwaves in San Fran.

mmaloney21 starstarstarstarstar Thu 2/28/2008 07:58AM

This article doesn't even do these guys justice! I've been waiting for them to get picked up and I hope Hyena helps to get them out there...these guys have managed to "break" through the mainstream with their transcendental lyrics and sound. If they are in your area, they are a must see!

headekid starstarstar Thu 2/28/2008 10:32AM

This album is step one. The Brakes finally have the album juiced up and ready to go. People need to start taking notice of The Brakes b/c they don't hide behind jams...they write good songs that show their maturity and then rock your face off to show they are still young and can impress with the skills.

smessinger Thu 2/28/2008 12:22PM

I love these guys and the music they create. I really hope to see more of them soon. Check them out ASAP.

toestothenose starstarstarstarstar Thu 2/28/2008 04:24PM

toestothenose

Seriously - the Brakes are just oozing talent! One of those young and hungery bands that one hopes will make it far. They have a some wonderful song writing that really puts wind in the sails. From what I've heard of this first album and a live one to boot - just fantastic.