OM Trio Reunite for 3 Shows

OM Trio To Reunite For Three San Francisco Shows in February

OM Trio
Three years after playing its last show, the OM Trio returns for three special performances in its adopted hometown of San Francisco in February 2008. Brian Felix (keys), Pete Novembre (bass) and Ilya Stemkovsky (drums) will assemble for short-lived active duty to open two shows for their friends Umphrey's McGee at San Francisco's legendary Fillmore on February 15 and 16 2008 and headline a two set show at the Boom Boom Room on the 17.

OM Trio shares a special kinship with Chicago's Umphrey's McGee, having shared the stage with them over 30 times, including swapping members for sit-ins with both bands, and collaborating on improvised avant garde masterworks such as "Sludge and Deth."

OM Trio played nearly 1000 shows in the six years it toured the United States and released several albums of original material, including 2003's acclaimed Globalpostioningrecord. The OM Trio garnered press from the Village Voice, JazzTimes Magazine and won the 2001 SF Guardian Reader's Poll for Best Local Jazz Group. The post-OM Trio lives of the three members have included higher education, various musical ventures, career opportunities and assimilation into the workforce.

[Published on: 12/17/07]

Comments

MaseBase starstarstarstarstar Mon 12/17/2007 12:02PM

MaseBase

This band was sick! Stoked they'll be at the Boom Boom Room. I can't miss it!

delaneyira starstarstarstarstar Mon 12/17/2007 12:13PM

I saw sludge and death done by um with special guest(im assuming it was one of these guys) in boston at avalon(what a shitty venue, im so glad umphreys plays at the orpheum now, nothing but brain dead, steroid shooting bouncers kicking people out of the line for fun) Anyways, it was pretty sick, they went from good hippy happy um jamming to dark, strobelight death metal, instantly. It was bad mother fucking ass!! Im not a fan of death metal at all but the instant change of context was overwhelming, kind like the things zappa used to do when going from totally serious epic instrumental into a completely goofy or satirical song with the snap of his fingers. Invigorating, like a swift kick to the snatch...

Hotchkiss star Mon 12/17/2007 12:51PM

Hotchkiss

a little late jambase, jambands reported this a week ago.

The Glick starstarstarstarstar Mon 12/17/2007 01:02PM

The Glick

All three members of the OM Trio beat me up after the last Boom Boom Room, all cover song show. They took my wallet and shoes so I couldn't run away too fast. Then they followed me in their van and played Tori Amos (loudly) until I finally lost them. I can't wait for these shows!!!!! I'm going to find them and unleash some whoop ass on them.

mkgee Mon 12/17/2007 05:59PM

These dudes had a lot of potential. I guess there were just too many jazz trios floating around at the time, clogging up the demand. Anyway, Global Positioning Record is still a pretty great album. Good to see Ilya still kicking around with Brothers Past, though. And as delaneyira noted, I guarantee a 'Sludge and Death' (first time played, Milwaukee) at one of these shows. Enjoy.

DJ Saturday Baxter Mon 12/17/2007 07:53PM

DJ Saturday Baxter

the OM trio was a sick band. it wasnt that there were too many jazz trios when they broke up. In my opinion...they started out as a super funky danceable band with groovin fender rhodes keyboards and funky ass bass and drums... then it turned into Jazz Metal Rock. I remember looking at their tour log about what songs they were currently listening to and it was all metal and rock stuff...then slowly, it became super heavy ass metal jazz. they are really awsome musicians...but, to me it became not fun to listen to.

Hotchkiss star Mon 12/17/2007 11:48PM

Hotchkiss

i don't understand the negative votes for posting that jambase was extreamly slow in announcing such fantastic news in the "jam" world.

i love om trio just as much as i love jambase, i'm not gonna let thier tardiness go unoticed.

briank67 Tue 12/18/2007 01:55AM

briank67

just saw this keys player w/drop q in chicago... tiiiight show. can anyone recommend an om trio show on LMA to download...?

threef Tue 12/18/2007 02:46PM

I love the Boom Boom room. Lots of good times at that venue. I wish I was still near the city.

frodok Fri 12/21/2007 03:02PM

frodok

saw the trio open for Umph at the barrymore, fall of '04 (my second UM show ever) started their set with a cover of Bombtrack -- good start to one hell of a nite, wish they were playin in the midwest...

umphreak143 Fri 12/28/2007 06:31AM

i can't fing wait for these shows!!!!!

The Glick starstarstarstarstar Tue 2/19/2008 01:42PM

Dust Up

Anew

Bulbous>

Mesh>

Bulbous

Phobophobe*

# Brian Glick (OM Trio Manager)

* with Jake Cinninger on guitar

2.17.08 - Sunday @ Boom Boom Room

Set 1:

L>

Romeo

Clydedogg

Brekfist

Old Guard

Set 2:

Cherub Rock

Improv*

Dust Up

Improv>Bulbous$

Anew

* with Steve Felix and Joel Cummins ..boards, Kris Myers on drums (with Ilya playing cymbals)

$ with Steve Molitz ..boards