Noise Pop Sweet 16 in 2008

NOISE POP FESTIVAL RETURNS IN 2008!
MAGNETIC FIELDS, THE MOUNTAIN GOATS, THE GUTTER TWINS (GREG DULLI & MARK LANEGAN)
AND CURSIVE TOP LIST OF CONFIRMED ARTISTS SO FAR
NOISE POP is February 26 - March 2, 2008

The Mountain Goats
The Noise Pop Festival returns in 2008 from February 26 to March 2. Over six nights, Noise Pop 16 will take over the best-loved venues in San Francisco, to host unforgettable performances by Magnetic Fields, The Mountain Goats, The Gutter Twins, Cursive and dozens of other important indie rock, electronic, punk and cutting edge musical artists, transforming the city into an almost week-long celebration of the finest that the underground and not-so-underground has to offer, nationally and locally.

2007 marked Noise Pop's 15th year as San Francisco's premier celebration of independent music, art, film and culture and 2008 is the festival's sweet 16 party. Established in San Francisco in 1993, Noise Pop started as a one-night event featuring the best underground rock bands that the Bay Area could dish up. Flash forward to 2007 and the Noise Pop Festival is another beast entirely. With live music as it's focal point, Noise Pop has developed into full-scale cultural happening, adding gallery art shows, a music-themed film festival, educational panel discussions with musicians and music industry professionals, an indie designer trunk sale and a number of planned as well as spontaneous shin-digs.

Stephin Merritt's Magnetic Fields will headline two shows at the beautiful Herbst Theater as part of Noise Pop in support of their long-awaited new album, "Distortions."

Lo-fi legends The Mountain Goats will perform three shows at three different venues during Noise Pop.

Another exciting addition to Noise Pop 2008 is The Gutter Twins, the anticipated collaboration between Afghan Whigs' Greg Dulli and Mark Lanegan. Dulli and Lanegan have been working together periodically since 2000. In July 2007, Pitchforkmedia.com announced that "two of the alt-rock era's greatest frontmen," had signed to Seattle label Sub Pop. The Gutter Twins will perform for Noise Pop in support of their debut album Saturnalia, currently set for an early 2008 release.

Other confirmed performers for Noise Pop include Omaha NE's Cursive, who are currently readying the release of Bad Sects the second single from the band's acclaimed 2006 album, Happy Hollow which includes a user-submitted remix of the song and a string arrangement by Olafur Arnolds.

Cursive joins a festival roster that will include over 100 artists. More Noise Pop performers will be announced in the weeks to come. As usual for the festival, nationally-known artists will share the stage with the best new Bay Area talent from opening night on February 26 through March 2 at legendary San Francisco venues such as Great American Music Hall, Bimbo's, Café Du Nord and The Bottom Of The Hill, The Independent, Mezzanine, Rickshaw Stop, 12 Galaxies and others.

Click here for JamBase's 2007 coverage of Noise Pop.

[Published on: 11/19/07]

Comments

Jays420 Mon 11/19/2007 10:16AM

First comment, Sweeeeet.

Who r mountain goats???????? Who are any of these bands???? Jambase is now a superfly production.... Surprised this website is not run by MTV yet.... or is it???? hmmmm dooo dewwww dooo dewww dididooo dewww dooo, dooo dewww dooo dewww DO dooo dooo doo do do bom bom bom

jason0525 Mon 11/19/2007 10:25AM

the mountain goats are great! maybe its you that needs to get your head out of your jamband loving ass

cant wait for noisepop- gonna be a great couple weeks int he city!

tourmaniac Mon 11/19/2007 10:26AM

tourmaniac

It's not a Superfly production nor is it run by MTV. Jambase is diversifying the website in order to attract more people. A higher hit count means higher ad revenue hence the stories like this one. You might as well get used to it if you plan on continuing to check out Jambase.

j-bizzle Mon 11/19/2007 11:21AM

j-bizzle

i believe they have been reporting on this festival since its inception; and am pretty sure they don't cover it to generate higher ad revenue. maybe they... gasp... just enjoy music.

delaneyira star Mon 11/19/2007 12:54PM

Great, another pop fest. Isnt that what cochella, vegoos and stagecoach is for. And no, jambase is not just diversifying. By socalled diversifying they are diluting the coverage and commentary of the meterial for which this site was, supposedly, made for. People first started comming to this site, well at least i did and everyone i know, first started coming to this site to get the latest and greatest on the bands we liked without having to wade through piles of crap about mainstream pop fluff that without a doubt is produced with specific intent, intent to shift units. We wanted the bands who are artistic, inspiring and practice alot. The jambands that were a staple of the festival scene.

Hotchkiss starstarstarstarstar Mon 11/19/2007 01:07PM

Hotchkiss

these bands are artistic, inspiring, and the do practice a lot. i have to ask how long have you been visisting jambase? thier coverage of noise pop and all types of music has been going on for years.

tourmaniac Mon 11/19/2007 01:24PM

tourmaniac

j-bizzle:

So they've been reporting on Noise Pop for the past 15 years? Because that's how long the festival has been around. I like music too but my point about attracting more people to the website is very valid. Maybe you are just...gasp...a little naive.

j-bizzle Mon 11/19/2007 01:37PM

j-bizzle

#1 - i meant since jambase was created; thanks for calling me out.

#2 - not sure what you're point of attacting more people to the site even means. when you correlate it to turning a profit, then there is a negative association to it? either way, i don't really care. Cursive rocks

tourmaniac Mon 11/19/2007 02:01PM

tourmaniac

I never made a negative association with turning a profit or the fact that Jambase is diversifying their news stories. I just pointed out what I think is pretty obvious.

gmoo Mon 11/19/2007 04:33PM

gmoo

I'm fine with whatever Jambase wants to throw at me, but I wish there were more Jazz-inspired articles. I understand that as a genre it's not as profitable (unless its NOLA Jazzfest or some other huge cash cow of a Superfly production) as other trendy genres, but come on Jambase. There are some really good things going on that never get covered. When its about money however, one can't expect a Skerik article when there's Radiohead $$$$$ to be made.

Jukebox Hero Mon 11/19/2007 06:45PM

Jukebox Hero

After reading the same arguments over and over (All pretty much some variant of " Jambase is selling out by covering indie music") and doing my very best to refrain from entering the fray, I finally must say what's been obvious to me for someitme. For the first 5 years that I visited this website, roughly 1999-2004, there was some really amazing stuff going on in the jam world. The livetronica movement was really gaining ground and maturing as a genre, while jam-grass was breaking out of its traditional chains to really expand the artform. Lots of bands that had had a very small or regional following were gaining national recognition. During "the hiatus" these bands really exploded, with SCI and Panic separating themselves from the pack. I feel this semi-renaisance of improvisational music peaked somewhere around the first Bonnaroo. With that festival, the world (yes Superfly is partly to blame here) realized the profits that could be made off of these bands. The bands themselves realized that they had a pretty large (and if the posts on this website are any indication, very narrow-minded, genre-specific) market to sell their shit to. I think at this point the movement stagnated. Bands seemed to be thinking "This is the kind of music we make. We serve the livetroninca, new-grass, southern jam-rock, etc. markets and we don't want to upset them." They just stopped doing anything different.

What I'm getting at is that Jambase is not selling out, they are just shifting their reporting to where the real innovation is taking place. Do you really want to read another article abut moe.? They're just doing the same shit they've bee doing for years. No real news there. (I think an exception does exist for the jazz-based jammers (JFJO, MMW, The Duo, etc.). They are still blazing new ground.) This is in opposition to the indie scene, which is just having a golden age right now. These are not bands that you would want to follow for a whole tour, but does that make reporting on their albums (they actually make those) and live shows less valuable? I don't think so. I challenge anyone to compare the stale sound of a moe. or Yonder or Bisco show (it's been the same for the past 4-5 years) with the energy of a MMJ, Black Keys, Decembrists, or Neko Case show. I'm not saying that jam musicians aren't good, just that they're not doing anything new. There's nothing to report. Indie music is just WHAT's HAPPENIN' right now and I commend Jambase for recognizing this.

Also, I don't want to assume too much, but I know that as I got older and my interest in ingesting mind altering chemicals waned, my scrutiny of 30 minute songs and endless guitar wankery increased proportionally to my interest in excellent compositions and saying your emotional piece in four minutes and gettin the hell out of there. I'm not saying that a monster jam no longer interests me, but I think I require a bit more out of it compositionally. This maturation mayed have played a part in jambase's shift, but I can't pretend to know.

Well, there you have it. That's my seven cents worth.

briank67 Tue 11/20/2007 05:50AM

briank67

quit bitching! would you like an apology from jambase for not exactly catering to YOUR musical interests? if you don't like it here, go somewhere else. nobody's telling you to keep coming back here, and nobody's stopping you from making your own live music website if you think you can do it better. can't wait to see your website, jays420, and then complain when you don't appeal directly to MY musical tastes!

bigfro Tue 11/20/2007 10:23AM

bigfro

Who Cares?

KUNGA Wed 11/21/2007 08:42PM

KUNGA

What The Fuck Is "Important" Indie Rock and I'll have to go ahead and agree with bigfro Who cares

gmoo Thu 11/22/2007 01:46PM

gmoo

If indie rock is so great why can't these people sustain careers? It's the new wave of production techniques, not innovative song writing. Isn't that obvious?

kirkbrew starstarstar Sat 11/24/2007 11:21AM

kirkbrew

J – I got it. Been a while since I diagramed a sentence, but “they” was a direct object and “its” was the indirect object. It wasn’t that hard to figure out.

Delaneyira – JackStraw4 said it all.

Smittea starstarstar Tue 11/27/2007 11:19AM

Smittea

I had never heard of these goat boys before so I went to their website. Interesting music, not bad by any means. Love it?... no. Hate it?... no. It seemed alright and certainly not out of the realm of the types of things JamBase has been reporting on.

Jack Straw Berry Wed 11/28/2007 08:03PM

Jack Straw Berry

noise pop has been going on forever and always gets great, relatively unknown bands (as well as some that are well known)...and its held in cool smaller venues around "the" city...definitely fun, but not anything like bonnaroo or other "brought to you by wal-weiser" or other "alternative" events...