Over the past few years artists like Warren Haynes, Gary Clark Jr. and Joe Bonamassa have
showed that blues rock is still going strong and the latest sign of the vitality of the
genre comes from the Nick Moss Band. Now, we don't want to pigeonhole the group, who also
sprinkle elements of jam, funk and R&B into their musical stew, but there's no doubt blues
is at the heart of Nick Moss Band's spirited sound. It doesn't hurt that the group's
latest addition, guitarist/vocalist Michael Ledbetter, is a descendant of the legendary
On March 18 the Nick Moss Band will release their latest studio effort, Time Ain't
Free, on Blue Bella Records. The album's 14 tracks will have you tapping your feet
along and dropping your jaw at Moss's many blistering guitar solos. There's no doubt
Time Ain't Free, which features a mix of Moss and Ledbetter's originals along with
a pair of choice solos, is a high-water mark for the Chicago-based band. We're proud to
present a stream of the album ahead of its release date.
Stream the entire Time Ain't Free LP and read on for Nick's thoughts on each track:
Nick takes us on a tour of the album by sharing a thought on each track. All songs were
written by Moss unless otherwise noted:
1. She Wants It: It's my tribute to the cougars out on the hunt!
2. Was I Ever Heard: A bit self indulgent about writing songs with poignant lyrics instead
of brainless party favor songs.
3. Light It Up (written by: Michael Ledbetter): This is a song about a man infatuated with
the many qualities of an attractive woman and letting loose with her.
4. Fare Thee Well (written by: Michael Ledbetter): A tale of a young relationship just
trying to figure out life. In the end, it's about love lost, but not gone.
5. Time Ain't Free: Midlife realization of how trivial the small shit is, and what's
really important between two people.
6. Been Gone So Long: This one's self explanatory...it's a song about a man not
understanding that she's gone and she's not coming back!
7. Tell You Somethin' 'Bout Yourself (written by: Michael Ledbetter): A story about the
displeasure with another's many deceptive ways and being the one to address their
wrongdoings. Somebody's gotta do it.
8. I Want The World To Know (written by: Michael Ledbetter): Very self explanatory! It's
about a love that's grown to a point that you want all the world to know just how strong
9. Death Letter Blues: This one's a cover song by blues legend Son House.
10. No Reason: A song about blatant racism that is so casually masked by political views,
from scared middle aged and older white conservatives, elected officials and conservative
11. EZ BREE ZEE: A simple song I wrote for my daughter that is absolutely true.
12. Walkin On A Ledge: A song about a love that is destined to fail.
13. Bad N Ruin: This one's a cover song by Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame act The Faces.
14. (Big Mikes) Sweet Potato Pie: Instrumental, named after Michael Ledbetter's dad's
world famous secret recipe sweet potato pie that will have you crying, cause it's so damn
3/7 - Chicago, IL @ House of Blues
3/8 - Chicago, IL @ Rosa’s Lounge
3/12 - Lincoln, NE @ Zoo Bar
3/13 - Kansas City, MO @ Knucklehead’s Saloon
3/14 - St. Louis, MO @ Cicero’s
3/15 - Milwaukee, WI @ Linneman’s Riverwest Inn
3/18 - Kankakee, IL @ Moose Lodge
3/20 - Chicago, IL @ Uptown Lounge
3/21 - St. Paul, MN @ Wilebski’s Blues Saloon
3/27 - Bethesda, MD @ Bethesda Jazz & Blues
3/28 - Bethlehem, PA @ 2nd Story Blues
3/29 - New York, NY @ Mercury Lounge
3/30 - Collinsville, CT @ Bridge Street Live
4/2 - Rochester, NY @ Dinosaur BBQ
4/3 - Syracuse, NY @ Dinosaur BBQ
4/4 - London, ON @ London Music Hall
4/5 - Barrie, ON @ Violet’s
4/8 - St. Georges, DE @ Country Store
4/11-12 - Roanoke, VA @ Blue 5
5/17 - Excelsior Springs, MO @ Wabash BBQ
5/30 - Ventura, CA @ Yolie’s
5/31 - Arcadia, CA @ Arcadia Blues Club
6/5 - San Francisco, CA @ Biscuits & Blues
6/7 - Point Arena, CA @ Arena Theater
6/13 - Seattle, WA @ Highway 99 Blues Club
6/14 - Yakima, WA @ Yakima Blues Festival
8/17 - Thornton, NH @ White Mountain Boogie N’ Blues Festival