JamBaseTV Ready To Launch

JamBase and StimTV have partnered to bring you exclusive interviews and video through out the weekend from Vegoose in Las Vegas, NV. This new endeavor will feature backstage interviews with bands, on-site talks with fans and much more straight from the festival grounds this Saturday (10/27) and Sunday (10/28) and will run on JamBase through the following week. Until then go ahead and click on the JamBaseTV player on our home page to watch videos and interviews from many of the artists playing this weekend in Las Vegas.

Keep your eye out for more original interviews, performances and features in the coming months as we expand our library on JamBaseTV!

JamBase | On-Air
Go Watch Live Music!

[Published on: 10/26/07]

Comments

Joshtafari starstarstarstarstar Thu 10/25/2007 02:46PM

Joshtafari

Great to see new an exciting thing going on with JamBase. Let me know if yall ever need help from a dedicated music lover. Ready to punch in and give it my all =0)

Peace, Love, Unity, Respect

bigfro Thu 10/25/2007 03:39PM

bigfro

I love the idea of Jambase TV. Once they cover a real music festival I'll definitely watch

Vegoose will fail. Just watch

ScIFreak star Thu 10/25/2007 04:23PM

ScIFreak

Vegoose has The weakest line-up ever. I don't give jack shit if you say idk shit about music, i know enough to see that it's one of the most mainstream line up I have ever seen, and this festival isn't even that old. I really hope it fails. Just because I want an old bonnaroo, with jam friendly fucking artist, and hippies, and good late nights. "Hippies" are way cooler of a crowd than any crowd these fucking bands bring.

absinthe52 Thu 10/25/2007 04:27PM

Amen

shonuff starstarstarstar Thu 10/25/2007 04:31PM

I thought this article was going to announce a new tv program jambase TV. You know...like MTV...only it's actually still about music.

soulink starstarstarstarstar Thu 10/25/2007 05:17PM

soulink

ScIFreak your poor grammar and spelling is only eclipsed by your closed-mindedness.

Kayceman starstarstarstarstar Thu 10/25/2007 05:23PM

Kayceman

Why such hatred and negativity? If you don't like a festival don't go, don't read about it, don't pay attention. There are so many jam festivals, it's not like anyone is forcing you to attend Vegoose. Personally i think, Muse, Rage, Daft Punk, Mastodon, Gogol, Battles, STS9, moe., Umphrey's, QOTSA and Ghostland Observatory (not to mention some solid hip-hop with Atmosphere, Ghostface Killah and PE) are some of the best live acts on tour... man, just writing that got me excited for Vegoose all over again! But it's all personal taste, just because I have zero interest in a band i would never jump on a message board to create angst and spread negativity, why not be open minded and let everyone do as they see fit?

Andrew W. starstarstarstarstar Thu 10/25/2007 05:30PM

Andrew W.

Amen to that!

tourmaniac Thu 10/25/2007 08:32PM

tourmaniac

I think people are upset that Vegoose changed it's programming format so drastically and without warning. Personally I think folks have a right to feel a little betrayed. While all the bands that Kayceman mentions are certainly talented I'd say it's a safe assumption that acts like Gogol Bordello and Muse don't really have much of a following in the "jam community" at large. And like it or not this website is fundamentally a Jamband orientated website and Vegoose was a fundamentally jam orientated festival. So that's why you see the anonymous voices of the internet talking smack about the lineup.

The bottom line is that we know what we like and this is lineup is not something we like. Pretty easy to understand I think.

cuttyfives Thu 10/25/2007 09:16PM

anyone notice the WSP being played before commercial breaks during the World Series?

JeffRad starstarstarstar Fri 10/26/2007 06:21AM

Battles will melt the dirt off your Vegoose-hating body...

King Rhino starstarstar Fri 10/26/2007 06:37AM

I agree

VERY lame line-up this year

I was looking forward to going, too

I held off the first 2 years to let them get in the groove and to see if it was a regular festie.

And they really outdid themselves with the line-ups year 1 and 2, as well.

Then I saw this year's bands and the first thought that popped into my head was.....

"That sucks."

ScIFreak starstarstarstarstar Fri 10/26/2007 06:55AM

ScIFreak

I meant no Dead related projects this year at Vegoose just proves that it's not "jam friendly" no more. It's sad. On the other hands I do agree that these artist have talent, but they shouldn't be on the list for a show like vegoose or Bonnaroo. Leave it to the Jam scene please....

nfenne starstarstar Fri 10/26/2007 07:21AM

nfenne

Whah! I don't get to see the same bands that played at every other festival play at Vegoose this year! Whah!

jalew starstarstarstar Fri 10/26/2007 08:23AM

jalew

Kudos to Andy and the rest of the Jambase team for offering up more free services to our community. Much appreciated!

keenan41 Fri 10/26/2007 08:39AM

keenan41

I agree that Vegoose did a 180 this year. In the past, festivals have tried to mold together different styles of music and we saw the culmination of that with this year's Bonnaroo. Vegoose was formed on the foundation of the "jam scene" fan base and it seems like this year, they sprinkled in a few to keep a portion of that fan base. But overall, it looks to be headed in a different direction. Unfortunately, for festivals to grow, they have to reach out to wider audiences. On the other hand, there will be more and more festivals originating that will rely on this specific fan base, which I think is a good thing. As long as Mountain Jam stays with its root, I'm cool...

keithrichardsforpres Fri 10/26/2007 10:42AM

keithrichardsforpres

I don't get why people think that bringing in different artists or types of artists is a ploy to get bigger or sell out. Maybe the promoters just want to do something new and different every year. The core bands to the "jam circuit" play every single jam festival in America, maybe the promoters are trying to create a different vision. As Kayceman said, if you don't like the lineup spend your money else where, but it's not like there is a lack of opportunity to see the bands that you're bummed aren't at Vegoose this year, hell they were all at Echo Project two weeks ago in ATL. So go see them elsewhere and spend your energy supporting the fests you like instead of trash talking those that choose a different track.

delaneyira starstarstar Fri 10/26/2007 12:19PM

tourmaniac has a good point, alot of those bands, are really the antithisis of what the festival circuit is about. Its about getting away from the corporate control of art in this country. Now we have all of these corporate bands creeping in. I dont see any of the good jam bands creeping into corporate media territory. When was the last time you even heard music on MTV. These bands moving into the festivals has alot more to do with taking fans out of non-corporate music and putting them back into the corporate music realm. Its not too hard for them to do this because most of us in this community are extremely open minded, which is a good thing. But people please dont throw your integrity by the wayside. Dont let the great idea of open mindedness blind you from negative effect of "the slime oozing out from your TV set- frank zappa" and now oozing into our beloved festival scene. Remember, some bands are about art and some bands are about selling products. Actually, i must correct myself. WSP has been on the world series clips. But, ask yourself this, why arent they mentioned as the music on the clips? Why arent they the ones who are asked to perform at the games? Why is it that little brat kerri underwood and that no talent clown ashanti. They will take advantage of the music, but they wont promote it. WHY? Corporate media, they know they will never be able to generate profit for a corporation off of WSP so they will never promote them... Honestly im extremely surprised they made it on the 4 second intros and outros in the first place... To all of you people who are going to jump down my throat about how not everyone likes that kind of music. The answer to that is, no one even knows this music exists. Lets take umphreys for example. I have promoted that band to all my friends who know nothing of music. You put it on in the backround and subtly and slowly increase the volume. Ive never been in a situation where people are like, WTF are you listening to. Its always been like "Damn! whats this dope music" And this is in ghetto hiphop circles where you would never expect to find this kind of musical appreciation. So no, its not just that people dont know this kind of music, its that they simply DO NOT KNOW IT EXISTS. Why you ask? Because they corporate media has purposefully removed skilled music from the public. How did they do that? They bought every recording studio capable of producing bands in the 60's 70's and especially 80s. Thats why we live in this climate where people will listen to 3:30s commercials for records and like it. Its not exactly thier fault though, they simply do not understand this stuff exists. To all you doubters out there, How can WSP fill thier shows with thoustands of people everywhere they go, and still when you mention them in a large group of people your luckey if a single person knows what your talking about... Wake up, dont let your open mindedness neuter your ability to call crap, crap. Its ok to say something sucks if you can explain why you think that. I mentioned qotsa earlier, the reason i dont like them is because every song sounds extremely similar, guitar tones, timber, tempo and over all energy. Not at all a diverse band. Id love to hear them try to cover an old classic, it would likely be a dumbed down and pathetic attempt... Sorry for the rant, but im sick of people who think your an asshole if you say something sucks. If you dont hold anything to any standard, thier will never be any motivation to push the envelope and inspirational meterial will stop being created...

delaneyira Fri 10/26/2007 12:50PM

keithrichardsforpres, if you think its just that the promoters wanted something different, think again. It is more likely that the sponsors of the festival said, put our guys on the bill or we might not want to sponsor this event. When your trying to put a festival on, especially in a place like vegas, that is pretty much a luca brazzi offer. Im not saying that this is exactly what happened but this how things like this(selling out) happens. It could even have been the promoters going to the sponsors and saying "sponsor us(vegoose) and well book the performer that just happens to be in your tv commercials this week". So dont just assume that they(promoters) wanted something different. These kind of music fests first started happening in this country in the 60's. They came about because people like the grateful dead wanted to bring together large amounts of people for a group experience that was detatched from the commercialization that they saw was poluting art in the country at that peticular time. Go back and look, the trips festivals, the cool aid acid tests, woodstock. They were all counterpoints too the commercial pop music of time. In fact, that whole culture that developed back then was a counterpoint. The people who faithfully go to these fests and support thier music are, in spirit, decendants of that counterpoint philosophy whether they want to admit it or not. The moral of the story is, if we dont defend our community and call a spade a spade(or peice of crap a peice of crap) we might not have inspirational jam bands anymore because these festivals sold out and destroyed thier only opportunity to play to large audiences. This is really what they(the corporate music industry) is trying to do. They want to remove all avenues, for a band that doesnt want to do what its told, to perform thier music to people so that the only choice people have is to buy the crappy corporate media fluff. The music industry is just trying to make money, and thats fine, but you need to wiegh the social benefits of this. Removing the avenues of creativity in music in such a pervasive fassion could result, over time, in a far less creative culture as a whole. Anyone who has studied sociology and psychology understands that subtle stimulus, or in this case the removal of a certain stimulus, applied across the whole culture can have dramatic and long term consequences. So stop telling people not to be negative about news posts, give people a hard time for being negative while not providing any reason for disliking something. Its mindless negativity thats the problem, not constructive critisism...

keithrichardsforpres Fri 10/26/2007 01:29PM

keithrichardsforpres

delaneyira - I agree with a lot of your points, I just don't see how the bands playing at Vegoose are those same bands that lack creativity and are some how "corporate".

I mean in terms of bands that have changed the face of music, just look at some of the headliners - Rage Against the Machine, Daft Punk, Public Enemy and Iggy and the Stooges - these are bands that have shaped music in a positive fashion with a very socially conscious message and a new twist on rock & roll. Even though they are massively popular, their music preaches against the status quo, so I just don't connect the dots between what you're saying and this specific Vegoose lineup.

I just can't imagine ANY corporation saying - ya ya, let's hire Rage Against the Machine to preach our corporate message, ya let's line up Chuck D to preach our corporate message.

In terms of "defending your scene" - as I mentioned there are plenty of fests that have all the traditional jambands in the world at them, so support them. I just think you're picking the wrong battle here, if you don't like the bands' @ Vegoose's music, that's fine, but I think it's just arrogant to think that your tastes are better or more important than other people that come to this site and enjoy bands like RATM and Iggy and the Stooges, as I do.

cuttyfives Fri 10/26/2007 03:50PM
jpalmer Fri 10/26/2007 04:27PM

"When you live in a capitalistic society, the currency of the dissemination of information goes through capitalistic channels. Would Noam Chomsky object to his works being sold at Barnes & Noble? No, because that's where people buy their books. We're not interested in preaching to just the converted. It's great to play abandoned squats run by anarchists, but it's also great to be able to reach people with a revolutionary message, people from Granada Hills to Stuttgart." - Tom Morello, RATM

Wlfmansbro Fri 10/26/2007 04:49PM

One of you said that this is a "jambase" website, and honestly that is really no longer true. This website is now much more of a "music" website then it has ever been before. Granted, these days the articles and shows listed do not really speak to me anymore, but is it not good that music it taking a "turn" in a new direction. I would not fly out to Vegas this year for the shows because the music just does not do it for me, but it gets other people off so who really cares. Stop the bitching, listen to what you want, and for you folks who are bringing the negitivity, get over it man. I read this site 4 or 5 times a day, and rarely post anything, but this has gotten out of hand and the interesting thing is that the same folks bitching on this site are the same rude 16,17,18-22 year old kids at the shows these days. Love music, if you do not like it, let other people love music and get over it.

id rather be phishing Sat 10/27/2007 09:22AM

id rather be phishing

HA I love the Panic in the world series. Makes baseball that much more exciting.

Armedaneian starstarstar Sun 10/28/2007 09:43AM

Armedaneian

I think we’re getting away from the subject here. Personally, I’m glad we’re able to see far away events, without having to buy airline tickets or pay ridiculous hotel prices; especially if they feature bands I’m not too eager to see.

Delaneyira, I understand you’re point. I see more and more corporate crap oozing in for a piece of the pie. What I don’t understand is why you hang out in ghetto hiphop circles? While its beginnings were anything but corporate, hiphop has been hijacked by corporate interests and twisted into a moneymaking scheme that uses teenage rebellion, rather than talent, to generate enormous profits. Face it; hiphop is trendy and lacks musical talent. Whoever told the children that these new hiphop bands (can we even call them bands?) are talented or “cool”, lied for the sake of profit. MTV and mainstream radio are certainly guilty of this musical treachery.

Neon lights under cars, oversized shirts, and pants hung down to the knees are cool too… just kidding. In my day, people were ridiculed if their undies were showing!

I guess I’m just asking for flame… I do enjoy a good BBQ!

Road To Shambala Mon 10/29/2007 06:59AM

Road To Shambala

Thanks cuttyfives for posting that about the WS and WSP. Thought I was the olny one to hear it. Good for the boys. As for the comment why the announcers wouldn't tell you who it was, do the ever do that? No. They are not DJ's, they are baseball announcers.

GO SAWX!

GO PANIC!

GO KAYCEMAN!

jr2037 Mon 10/29/2007 07:40AM

jr2037

"Why such hatred and negativity?"

Its just the conservative jam-extremists. Everyone else can just enjoy music for what it is, minus the ideology and generalizations.

kirkbrew starstarstarstar Mon 10/29/2007 08:33AM

kirkbrew

Face it. Vagoose is a brand. That brand had a following of people who were loyal to it (aka consumers). And now Vegoose is making a change to its brand. For what reason? Increased appeal and diversity among its consumer demographic is what I expect. I don’t know nor do I care. I reject consumerism in any form and you guys are not that much different from MILF’s who flock to Starbucks in their H2s every autumn for a pumpkin latte with their girlfriends ("I'll have extra whip cream").

So, vote with your wallet. I got 50 bucks that says that you will not be missed and that Vegoose will continue putting on shows that feature talented and diverse artists rather than something that is more of the same.

kirkbrew starstarstarstar Mon 10/29/2007 08:38AM

kirkbrew

As for those who say "Fuck corporations", I find that they know nothing about the nature of companies, markets or how the world works (both the good and bad sides of it). Bunch of chumps who parade around in Che t-shirts with bongs attached to their gobs thinking that they are edgy free thinkers. It is funny to hear them go off. Just like it is funny to hear the KKK or the NRA spew their mindless propaganda.

Well, if you want to “fuck corporations”, get an MBA or a law degree and go to work for one. If they are so bad and perpetuate so much evil, then you will be able to make a change from within. That is if you are smart enough or have the ambition.

Bividybone Mon 10/29/2007 12:08PM

Bividybone

For those who think Vegoose "sold out" or went "commercial" be encouraged by the fact that it didn't draw an enormous crowd. But that was just fine by me because superfly once again introduced me to new and interesting acts. Daft Punk was an enormous surprise and I would travel to see them again. I love the dead and i love phish, but last years performances by Phil & Trey and the Rhythm devils were uninspired and poor at best. Was there music that I found distasteful this year? yes, but that is the risk you take when discovering new tunes. If I had to hear Phil Lesh's tone deaf voice ruining once great songs I would've just stayed home. Instead I got to see Cypress Hill get a crowd jumping and public enemy get a bunch of white boys to raise their fists in anger at the man, it was semi-hippocritical but entertaining none the less. And I am not sure how you can possibly call Iggy & the stooges corporate. If anything this festival was less corporate than in previous years. if they had brought in the standard Jam Bands, the festival would've had a bigger turn out and made more $ by following the standard formula. Besides where else can you get a crowd with a couple wearing head to toe matching megadeath outifts on one side, a cluster of wookies smoking heady nugs on another side, some super hot high maintenance chicks in sexed up halloween costumes in front of you and the homies behind you all having a good time together and jamming to something new that they possibly haven't heard before? I say it's time we all started to embrace the values that most of us just pay lip service to. Embrace diversity, open your mind, and try something new. Or you can go see your 216th WSP show while you compile lists of your top 5 versions of "Antelope".

jr2037 Mon 10/29/2007 01:09PM

jr2037

kirkbrew - Good points, but if I might add... Corporations destroy local economies and local culture. Many are just straight up money making empires that only exist to feed a few people's selfish dreams without one ounce of care for what they are doing to the world. For example, how many lives has Nike ruined? I'm sure most people would rather go bankrupt than set up one of those sweatshops. How can they live with themselves, I mean wouldn't you be happier knowing that your employees are happy and healthy because you provided them with decent wages & conditions? Funny how people don't get satisfaction from helping others out.

toeknee420 Tue 10/30/2007 06:29AM
kirkbrew starstarstarstarstar Tue 10/30/2007 11:13AM

kirkbrew

jr2037 – Not going to totally disagree with you, but want to offer this observation. I have worked in many factories in Mexico and China. The employees made just dollars a day; but, they got free health care, free dentist and free breakfast/lunch and often dinner. Compare that to working in the fields somewhere in Chiapias or Jilin. Quite simply, they have better lives workin’ for the man. As for Nike, yea it is hard work in one of those factories, but people go there because it is a better environment and better lifestyle than where they came from. Just like when my Irish ancestors came over here on a boat.

But on the flip side, these plants piss out a lot of VOC’s as well as other pollutants. Some have dangerous equipment; however I have worked with Chinese who were more concerned about equipment safety than American factories. No shit!!!

And you are correct. These companies should do more to improve the lives of their workers. If they don’t, they will suffer the same fate of the US auto plants and eventually unions will take hold. We are seeing now that a union is a business in itself and its interest is the perpetuation of their business model to generate profits (usually at the companies expense). Unions have killed our automotive industry – that is just a slam dunk (and not in George Tennent’s terms).

Finally, as a country, we need to implement fair trade practices. Heavy tariffs should be placed on imports from any country who does not meet our environmental and OSHA standards. Not good for the consumerist, but the alternatives are not good either.

But that is a horse of a different color compared to these idiots who think that Superfly is some mega corp looking to screw them. People – they are not Mobil. If you think that they are, they you really need to look at your priorities. Seriously.

Bividybone – Good to hear. That is what music should do. Bring people together and celebrate personal and artistic diversity. Wish I was there.

And who has ever seen WSP 216 times? There are really people out there who have? I reckon that there are folks out there who eat dinner at McDonalds too and are happy with that.

jr2037 Tue 10/30/2007 01:48PM

jr2037

Interesting stuff, and although I'm sure not 100% of it is bad, I still maintain that greed and power is the driving factor behind it all. The Gov knows its in their favor - the more tax money the more aggregate wealth for the country - so they give them tax breaks and look the other way when they do something unethical.

If you think of it in terms of the big picture, corporations are simply the destruction of a common local economy, which basically translates to destruction local, natural human cultures. If all the little shops in italy were replaced with a few meglo-marts and dunkin donuts - think of how drastically the culture would change.

Small businesses = local happy, independent thinking communities = point of humanity. Its really more psychological than anything. For example having dunkin donuts instead of local coffee shops convey to people that "regular people are not qualified for a proper business. Everything should conform to this one idea, one logo. The coffee is the same in every single shop, how it should be, the employees wear uniforms and arent allowed to decorate the store." How many people do you know scoff at local businesses because they aren't "professional" and orderly. People are beginning to believe in cold institutions and conformity as logical, and "querky" independent shops are seen as weird and confusing, which translates to finding differences in people weird and confusing.

Know what I mean?

toestothenose starstarstarstarstar Tue 10/30/2007 03:23PM

toestothenose

To comment on the player and the first two interviews-

Fuckin' Stellar!

I love the whole Gogol interview and the Cypress Hill bits on Life, Vegas, Playing and weed are hilarious.

Wonderful Work - Online Video is a growing force, way to embrace it JBase

FrogBrigade22 Tue 10/30/2007 08:30PM

FrogBrigade22

This is real cool jambase, way to step it up. I'm glad to see some gogol bordello on there. They are are real down to earth bunch of people, i went to warped tour a couple of years back and they were the best band there. Me and my friend ended up chilling by their tent playin hackysack with the whole band for a good part of the day.