ZAPPA PLAYS ZAPPA TOUR

ZAPPA PLAYS ZAPPA ON TOUR AGAIN THIS SUMMER

Zappa Plays Zappa
Zappa Plays Zappa, the concert experience that brings the music of the late Frank Zappa to the stage, under the direction of Dweezil Zappa will, again, this summer embark on a North American tour. The tour starts July 18 at Winnipeg's Centennial Hall with a total of 30 performance dates set for the tour's first leg which concludes in Los Angeles at the end of August. Following a break, Zappa Plays Zappa embarks on a 17 city European tour including dates in the UK, Netherlands, Switzerland, Germany, France, Belgium, Denmark, Norway and Sweden.

In concept and performance, Zappa Plays Zappa offers audiences an opportunity to spend an evening with Frank Zappa's music, performed meticulously by a group of top flight musicians who have been schooled in its subtleties. Far from a "tribute band," Zappa Plays Zappa is more of a vehicle that underscores the compositional genius of Frank Zappa much as a symphony orchestra would perform pieces by a master composer.

The band Dweezil (lead guitar) has assembled for this year's Zappa Plays Zappa is composed of veterans of last year's tour including Joe Travers (drums), Billy Hulting (percussion), Scheila Gonzalez (keyboards, saxophone, vocals), Aaron Arntz (keyboards/trumpet), Peter Griffin (bass) and Jaime Kime (rhythm guitar). Joining the tour this year is Ray White, the vocalist who toured and recorded with Frank Zappa during the period of such albums as Tinsel Town Rebellion, You Are What You Is and Zappa in New York (his is the lead vocal on beloved song "The Illinois Enema Bandit").

Zappa Plays Zappa tour dates available HERE.

[Published on: 6/11/07]

Comments

Makisupa_McGee Mon 6/11/2007 03:02PM

Makisupa_McGee

I hate that the zappas wont let bands cover any of Frank's songs....thats bullshit.

hnkscrpio starstarstar Mon 6/11/2007 03:19PM

hnkscrpio

Really, I heard a recording of Groovatron doing "Joe's Garage" at wakarusa a couple years ago. That is some serious bullshit if that is true.

livin_grateful starstarstarstarstar Mon 6/11/2007 03:33PM

uh...where's the colorado date???

danborth Mon 6/11/2007 03:41PM

Raq plays a killer "Trouble Everyday." I'm not sure about the legitimacy of your claim Makisupa. Got any evidence?

magickbrother Mon 6/11/2007 03:53PM

Well the fact that raq dosen't want to let the tape from ft. collinsn 3/18/07 out
because of the gail zappa issue BTW raq 1st set was all zappa (retired the tunes I think) they ask the one taper no to let it out!

Flyingbird73 Mon 6/11/2007 04:06PM

Flyingbird73

It is an unfortunate situation for us, the audience. Bisco, Raq, Phish and UM (among others) all have some top-notch live covers but Gail seems to want to stifle it. For many, it's the love for and covering of Zappa by these modern day bands that introduces his music to new generations. I see her point, but it's disappointing too.

Gail Zappa Quote, Relix Magazine April/May 2006 on the topic of bands covering Frank's tunes:

"One thing you fight for as an artist is that you get paid for your work. Here's the way I look at it. They're playing Franks music and I'm not getting paid. Frank did not write it for them to play without paying him, so they sure as fuck should have payed me. It's small money to perform it, cents on a dollar. That's what I don't understand. Why wouldn't they want to do right by the artist? What do they write music for? Do they buy groceries for their kids? Well, so did Frank Zappa."

tamahead starstarstar Mon 6/11/2007 04:37PM

tamahead

Ok my thoughts about Gail and Frank's music is that Frank himself covered a lot of tunes himself like for example, ring of fire, whipping post, stairway to heaven and did Frank pay those bands to use their songs? I love Franks music and i love what Zappa plays Zappa is doin. I can't wait for the Hampton and Boston shows.

voodoochili12 starstarstar Mon 6/11/2007 04:47PM

magickbroker your knowledge of RAQ impresses me! RAQ rocks!

phisherman83 starstarstar Mon 6/11/2007 05:10PM

RAQ also plays a sick cover of "My Guitar Wants to Kill Your Mama"...which I believe is on archives.org. Widespread Panic played a nasty "Joe's Garage" Halloween '01 (which can be found on nugs.net), but I have heard that they got sued over it...which is pretty shitty if that's true.

BGsteveBG Mon 6/11/2007 05:31PM

BGsteveBG

Its one thing to record it and sell it on an album.. but at a show? People are already there! And as for tapers? Bands dont make money off of their shows being given away for free..

magickbrother Mon 6/11/2007 05:43PM

^ Allman Brothers Band
** Frank Zappa version
# Legato
$ w/ Whole Lot Of Love tease
% Bluegrass version
@The Kinks
hopefully we'll all see a copy someday

moephishH2O star Mon 6/11/2007 05:43PM

moephishH2O

No Oregon love - Weak Sauce....

mhc10 Mon 6/11/2007 05:55PM

I got tickets for Cincinnati!!!!!!!!!!!!

tjames starstarstar Mon 6/11/2007 06:26PM

tjames

Yes, young grass hoppa the estate of zappa aka his wife despises bands covering his songs but what the hell is she gonna do about!!!!

harryphunk starstarstarstarstar Mon 6/11/2007 07:36PM

Man, so no Napolean Murphy Brock and no Steve Vai on this tour? Ray White is good and all, but NMB and SV are the rage!
Well, I'll be in Ashevegas, maybe they will have some special guests tba...

bobertjohnson starstarstarstarstar Mon 6/11/2007 08:02PM

as far as not being allowed to cover Zappa, I saw Umphrey's Mcgee cover "City Of Tiny Lights" w/ special guest Ray White, Skyline '05, day 2.

cliftonhanger420 Mon 6/11/2007 08:05PM

the only time you can copyright live music is when you try to sell it on a cd. do you think phish had to pay the beatles when they performed the white album? i doubt it, but then again they'll never put it up for sale.

silent_J Mon 6/11/2007 08:06PM

I'm going to Hampton and maybe Boston. Napolean Murphy Brock is listed to play at the NH show. And what about Project Object - they were a Zappa cover band even though they had some of the original members.

roberto767 Mon 6/11/2007 08:57PM

roberto767

cliftonhanger...Phish already has officially released the Beatles White album via the LivePhish series. I'm sure they pay royalties to the Beatles (or probably Michael Jackson...last time I checked he was the legal owner of all of the Beatles songs).

KPLMMJ starstarstarstar Mon 6/11/2007 09:41PM

Umphrey's covered Dirty Love in Atlanta last fall...Don't know how true all of this. I have a recording of it as well..

wadeharris starstarstarstarstar Tue 6/12/2007 01:13AM

I am sick of hearing people complaining if a band doesn't come your way. I live in Montana and we have shows once every few months. So stop bitching and go on a road trip.

karacter0 Tue 6/12/2007 01:14AM
Kwatto starstarstarstarstar Tue 6/12/2007 01:42AM

Kwatto

That Gail interview really downed my perspective of her when I read it. You would think she would promote all the bands that honor her late husband in this time period. With mainstream music pushing farther and farther away from actual talented musicianship, I consider all of us blessed to hear Frank's songs in any medium (ie; Zappa Plays Zappa, Project Object, Phish, etc.). I have most of FZ's collection, and look forward to new releases as well. The promotion of his music is healthy and inspiring, but the way Gail came across was damn selfish in her tirade. I don't see her promoting Franks's music with any success. Sure, they'll release a never-before-heard vault recording every once and a while, but the only ones buying are old fans, not new ones. Not that many of the younger generations are going to go see ZPZ, once again it's more old school. I find Gail irrational in her argument. She could make more of her precious "money" if she let go of the live covers! I understand getting paid for a cover on a studio or live release, but c'mon, how can anybody that was married to one of the geniuses of our time not see the grassroots potential? Well, they do say money talks...

Now for the kudos; Dweezil is making Daddy proud. Reeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaal fucking proud. Greatest show I saw last year was Zappa Plays Zappa in Grand Prairie, Texas. His guitar playing had elevated miles above what I last heard him play. The band is sooooo tight! The guest stars were perfect. I couldn't be more grateful to Dweezil for putting all the hard work into making the show top-notch! If you love Zappa's music, don't miss this show. Oh, and I hope some more dates are added for the fall/winter!

alw7 Tue 6/12/2007 04:34AM

Anyone ever hear of BMI,Broadcast Music Inc. This is the main organization that represents some 300,000 songwriters and is responsible for collecting royalties from radio stations and live music venues,to be distributed to the artists.In theory,if you're contracted with them,you should recieve some royalty,however minscule,every time your song is played on the radio,or performed live.It's a complicated system,but it's there for any songwriter,or owner of song rights to make use of,so please don't complain about not getting money your entitled to. Frank had to pay these fee's every time he perfoemed a cover,also.

bonnaroo3 starstarstarstarstar Tue 6/12/2007 05:24AM

yea, what Kwatto said ! this is no cover band, Dweez has plenty of his own stuff to, I am personaly hyped for the show at the 10klf! and lets hear it for the Illinois enima bandit!

foadser starstarstarstarstar Tue 6/12/2007 05:46AM

See you freaks at the Asheville show.

Gail Zappa sounds like a raging, gold-digging c^nt.

breckenridgejam starstarstarstarstar Tue 6/12/2007 08:46AM

breckenridgejam

Wow, finally an interesting discussion... Instead of worthless bickering!

AmshMisfit Tue 6/12/2007 08:46AM

AmshMisfit

people are paying the venues money to see the show, so if a band plays someone elses song, they are making money off of it.

that is why all venues are supposed to pay money to the artists who songs are being covered.

FatChance Tue 6/12/2007 08:48AM

i saw the Seattle show and it was amazing. being a longtime zappa fan and being able to have his music accessible is the main point. everyone will get two phat sets of Zappa music. let's stay on topic here, it's about zappa's music, not gail. Dweezil has put a lot of heart and soul into this huge undertaking. It has taken him years to learn the songs and play with such care. it is a way to honor his dad and share the music with adoring fans and new ones alike. its obvious he misses his dad greatly and this is a way he can reconnect with Frank. we should support him in this experience. steve vai and napoleon murphy brock were amazing on this past tour. granted i am sad that ike willis isn't in the mix, people, keep the faith as Dweezil's own guitar playing has stepped it up many notches. all of you that are quick to comment that it doesn't have this or that while they haven't seen shows on this tour will not be able to comment about the other non-zappa band players that are absolutely stellar. if you haven't seen this tour don't be so quick to bash and comment on what you haven't seen or heard.

take Sheila Gonzales....this woman plays the sax and was absolutely astounding...she had some hardcore solos at the show that were perfect...you will hear them if you buy the upcoming DVD. Dweezil's solos were out of this universe. I suggest that you just go with an open heart and no expectations and i promise you it will be the best show you see all year. these are shows that are worth getting on an airplane to see. let's support Dweezil on this tour, as he is bringing some of the most important music ever played in our lifetimes accessible to younger audiences. as another has commented, the band is staying very tight and true to Frank. Any Zappa fan will love the show.

nuke_ticketbastard starstarstarstarstar Tue 6/12/2007 09:16AM

yee-ha looks like i will check 'em out in baltimore @ rams head live , noticed 2 levels of ticket prices for that show? i have never seen that at a show at this location before. i wonder if the more expensive tix are on the balcony? its always GA on the floor - they wouldn't actually setup chairs would they???

happydestiny starstarstarstarstar Tue 6/12/2007 11:36AM

happydestiny

makisupa-- widespread panic did joes garage halloween 2001 and thats in circulation

happydestiny Tue 6/12/2007 11:39AM

happydestiny

whoops- phisherman beat me to the punch on that one

THey got sued? thats fuckin lame!

bonnaroo3 starstarstarstarstar Tue 6/12/2007 12:15PM

>>>>take Sheila Gonzales....this woman plays the sax and

the keyboards at the same time,
did i say here boob's bounced around as well!

sunnbear Tue 6/12/2007 01:19PM

sunnbear

Umphrey's has just released 9/4/05 Chicago, which has City of Tiny Lights in the second set & 12/3/05 Seattle, which has Dirty Love in the second set. Both are for download on their site.

ChrisChuck1 Tue 6/12/2007 04:28PM

KIZZY1, the show is set up contemporary style, i saw the Vegas show last year at HOB, G.A. was around the bar, the floor was folding chairs, the balcony obviously seats. spend the extra money for the floor seat you won't be disapointed

ChrisChuck1 Tue 6/12/2007 04:31PM

got second row again at HOB vegas this year, counting down the days til 8-18, got The Police and Roger Waters this weekend at MGM, but ZPZ is the highlite of my year

mrminer1084 Tue 6/12/2007 06:48PM

rulosa01 starstarstarstarstar Tue 6/12/2007 07:19PM

"Bands can cover Zappa's music, Gail is just being a little greedy. All Frank asked is that no band cover certain songs such as Watermelon is Easter Hay off Joe's Garage. I heard this actually was the reason for Phish not playing Joe's Garage in 95 on halloween."

It is my understanding Frank said that he did not want anyone other than Dweezil to ever play that song.

HOPEFULPHAN starstarstarstarstar Wed 6/13/2007 10:26AM

franks wishes are cool. my question is does zappa plays zappa do justice to the music? who has seen them???/

7th Member of Panic starstarstar Wed 6/13/2007 10:35AM

7th Member of Panic

I have a leg from Panic doing "Joe's Garage" in Chicago (I think 2001). You can't stop somebody from covering a song as long as they don't put it on a album for profit. Check your sources brother.

HOPEFULPHAN starstarstarstarstar Wed 6/13/2007 02:23PM

kolmah thanks man. i love franks music. if these guys play anything off joes garage at 10klf ill probably shit myself.

jackstraw1984 Wed 6/13/2007 04:43PM

jackstraw1984

man why does the asheville date have to be over sci's red rocks... that blows. additionally, anyone who wants to check out a killer zappa cover band should check out PROJECT OBJECT cause they are the fucking SHIIIIT. i guess they don't show up on gail's radar.

mhc10 Wed 6/13/2007 05:36PM

I'd rather see Dweezil play Zappa than Project/Object
Can't wait for Cicinnati!!!

HEARiTSPiRiT starstarstarstarstar Thu 6/14/2007 06:06AM

HEARiTSPiRiT

last year on halloween at msg was a full-on existence-altering experience... FRANKenstein Zappa would have been proud!

steve vai and terry bozio were just killin any song they sat in for and dweezil is getting better with the frank-esque banter..

pygymy twylyte, the 20 minute jam out of montana, i'm the slime and basically the whole damn thing just left the room vibrating like a bunch of tweaked hummingbirds

this new incarnation will be a lot of fun, can't wait to catch it

WillieWampus star Thu 6/14/2007 10:39AM

WillieWampus

You guys are a bunch of NARCS!!

jawn starstarstarstar Sun 6/24/2007 01:40AM

jawn

Did you mean NARP's? New Age Rural Professionals? See U @Cains Ballroom Aug 15 in Tulsa and remember, "There's nothing worse than a suicide chump."

jawn Sun 6/24/2007 01:44AM

jawn

Oops and shit, I meant Aug 13 in Tulsa! "Dope. You are what you use."

AdkinsJ Thu 7/19/2007 09:19AM

I think it's funny that all of these folks are getting so geeked up for Dweezil's gig. I'll go...it's FZ's music and I haven't seen Ray since Frank died, but Project/Object has been smoking FZ's music for years. People don't even know. Hearing Zappa's name in the band's name seems to have caught people's attention, but several great outfits have been out there giving it good for years. I don't know why Gail has to be such a bitch about this. At the very end, Frank said "Play my music." And I want to hear it...his way, Project/Object's way, Dweezil's way, any way. Frank was the man.

calebau Fri 7/25/2008 12:18PM

Guys, The argument for not letting anyone cover their songs sounds fabricated in the least. I've personally heard them cover Willie the Pimp, City of Tiny Lights, Dirty Love, and Bamboozled by Love. Also have been to numerous shows of RAQ where they were not shy to play many of Frank's stuff. If bands haven't stopped doing it, why does it matter. Great bands play great music, if it's theirs or not. Let me say this though, Zappa plays Zappa was the best show I saw at Rothbury!

calebau Fri 7/25/2008 12:19PM