ALO: ROSES & CLOVER

ALO Returns to the Spotlight with the
Release of their New Studio Album
Roses & Clover May 1st Brushfire Records

ALO
ALO is set to kick off a major U.S. tour starting in San Francisco on May 5.

Called an "Artist to Watch" by the influential AAA radio station WXPN and hailed by the Associated Press - "Each member of ALO could easily be the musical star of their own band, so it's nice to see accomplished musicians like these stick together." The sweet smell of success is already familiar to California-based ALO. Now, the rapturous quartet is ready to bring its joyful musical message to a larger audience worldwide.

Roses & Clover is the anticipated follow-up to the band's acclaimed 2006 Brushfire release, Fly Between Falls. Bursting with sun-drenched melodies, ALO's latest covers a wide range of musical territory; from the reggae-tinged "Try" to the ukulele-led funk workout "Plastic Bubble."

For a band accustomed to performing songs live for years, crafting and shaping hundreds of times over before entering the studio, the age-old process of recording an album was liberating.

"We're a band that likes to experiment live," says guitarist/vocalist Dan Lebowitz. "I have a feeling these songs are going to evolve a lot. And that's a really exciting thing."

For Roses & Clover, the members of ALO shared much of the producing duties, though they also enlisted the help of veteran producer Robert Carranza (Beck, Los Lobos, Ozomatli) and Dave Simon-Baker.

Born from a childhood friendship and nurtured on the campus of University of California, Santa Barbara, the four-piece collective of Zach Gill (keyboards/vocals), Steve Adams (bass/vocals), Dan Lebowitz (guitars/vocals) and Dave Brogan (drums/vocals), found their musical roots in the feel-good vibe of the breezy California town.

Over the past two years, ALO have greatly expanded their fan base via constant touring and phenomenal word-of-mouth. Even Dave Matthews took notice of the funky foursome last year—asking the band to open up for DMB for several shows, including a special cruise ship concert. In addition, ALO toured Europe for the first time in 2006 with labelmate Jack Johnson.

This year, ALO will start promoting the songs from Roses & Clover in earnest via several; festival dates, including stops at Australia's prestigious Byron Bay Bluesfest in April, and a slot at Kansas' massive jam band extravaganza, the Wakarusa festival, in June. A headlining U.S. tour will kick off at the famed San Francisco venue The Fillmore on May 5.

"This is our favorite record we've made so far," bassist/vocalist Steve Adams says of Roses & Clover. "Making it was an incredible experience and it's got us more excited about the band than ever before."

ALO TOUR DATES
07/05/07 THU High Sierra Music Festival Quincy, CA
07/06/07 FRI High Sierra Music Festival Quincy, CA
07/07/07 SAT High Sierra Music Festival Quincy, CA
07/08/07 SUN High Sierra Music Festival Quincy, CA
08/04/07 SAT 4 Peaks Music Festival Bend, OR

[Published on: 3/22/07]

Comments

NickBoeka Thu 3/22/2007 11:27AM

NickBoeka

me likey the ALO

voodoochili12 starstarstarstarstar Thu 3/22/2007 11:28AM

me too

jalew Thu 3/22/2007 11:28AM

jalew

Nice. Looking forward to the S.F. throw-down and the continued success of these beautiful people!

EVILFUNK starstarstarstarstar Thu 3/22/2007 11:48AM

EVILFUNK

"Over the past two years, ALO have greatly expanded their fan base via constant touring and phenomenal word-of-mouth."

...and now people respect them for it! these guys are out there bonding with a community that will love thier music till the end! We cant say that for John Mayer...he has to play his hits for a bunch of screaming 16 year olds every night or he might as well pack up and load out before the show even starts. All ALO has to do is play thier asses off live and people will love them forever!

I LOVE THIS KIND OF GRASSROOTS/JAMBAND MARKETING!

Wineguy Thu 3/22/2007 12:07PM

SF show is during the second weekend of Jazzfest. Bummer.

totalot Thu 3/22/2007 12:20PM

Honestly, I have not really ever been into these guys, dont really understand the hype, however they are certianly nice guys and fit much better with the Cali-pop, Jack Johnson vibe. Best of luck.

barnylee starstarstarstar Thu 3/22/2007 01:07PM

barnylee

Bands and artists often help lift other bands to national presence. Just the say it is. Such is the case with ALO/Jack Johnson. But this sometimes only takes a band so far...in the end, they have to have something there for fans to appreciate. When I saw ALO 6 months back, I could see what so many people were getting excited about. If they come to a town near you, check em out, you won't be disapointed. Excellent songs, superb live performances!

jasonthehead starstarstarstarstar Thu 3/22/2007 02:47PM

jasonthehead

Can't wait to hear this new album, it's going to be sweet. "Try" and "Plastic Bubble" are grrrreat tunes. These guys, their management and all of their hardcore fans are some of the greatest people working in and supporting the music scene today. I love them as friends, I love them as musicians & songwriters and I love their music. I am so happy to see them rise to the level they are at today since first seeing them in the tiny Alterkit Lounge at L.A.'s Knitting Factory over three years ago. Time Expander hooked me, Fly Between Falls floored me and I expect Roses & Clover to change me.

I can see how they may not be every music lover's favorite flavor of music but that can be said about any band. I don't like Umphrey's very much, but I recognize their talent, success and loyal fanbase to be just as unlimited as ALO's.

Marc1971 starstarstarstar Thu 3/22/2007 02:52PM

Marc1971

...you gotta burn baby, burn...I can't wait for this new release. I freaking love these guys. They are so feel good. I love their choice of covers...anyone hear the Help>Slip>Frank from 12/29/2007? nice.

nughufer starstarstar Thu 3/22/2007 03:39PM

I've been looking to catch these guys. Maybe now's the time!

Andrew W. starstarstarstarstar Thu 3/22/2007 03:45PM

Andrew W.

Long live the Mustacho!!!

Tan starstarstarstarstar Thu 3/22/2007 03:47PM

Tan

This band is what good vibes are all about.

Johnny Thumps starstarstarstarstar Thu 3/22/2007 06:15PM

Johnny Thumps

cinco de freako at the fillmore in SF! can't wait to hear all the new tunes they've been hiding from us...

happydestiny Thu 3/22/2007 08:07PM

happydestiny

holla!
bend,or here i come

doglog Thu 3/22/2007 08:54PM

I've said it before and I'll say it again. This band, is one of the best things I've been turned onto since moving to the west coast. I know there's alot of bands out there, but not many of them bring the heat or energy that this band brings. I don't play music, but love listening to it and understand to a certain point doing it live is work. If you really want to see 4 guys that love there work you have to check them out!

BGsteveBG Thu 3/22/2007 10:32PM

BGsteveBG

john mayer can play a whole show with random songs and it would kick ass. im pretty sure he's abandoned his old, 'hit' songs.

DesignVHL starstarstarstarstar Fri 3/23/2007 07:36AM

DesignVHL

alo is one of my fav bands...always a great time...and they are some of the nicest musicians I've ever met! Very humble.

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^› {¬¿¬} starstarstarstarstar Fri 3/23/2007 09:20AM

this is the kind of positive postings that should be allll over jam base. peas...

jasonthehead starstarstarstarstar Fri 3/23/2007 01:33PM

jasonthehead

Just got an email with a link to this promo video for ALO's new album. Enjoy!

"Maria" sounds like a sweet tune as well. They played it at the Fillmore last year and I imagine we'll hear it there on 5/5 as well, and many times before and after that! YES!

joeye starstarstarstarstar Fri 3/23/2007 01:39PM

Looking forward to this one...I hope they come back to LA again soon...

It is amazing that nobody is talking shit. This is great. I think it shows how positive ALO is. They will go as far as they want in this scene.

I never learn, but I don't mind, I'm just wastin' time (on this web site)

jasonthehead starstarstarstarstar Fri 3/23/2007 01:56PM

jasonthehead

Thanks for putting the vid up JamBase! Thanks for all the positive vibes from the commenters too!

Falcor Fri 3/23/2007 07:14PM

Falcor

I remember this one time in a vacated house sitting on top of a mountain overlooking the Russian River....

Jbsgroove starstarstarstarstar Mon 3/26/2007 06:49PM

Jbsgroove

I need me some ALO in Nashville...Love the guys, the shortest set @ All Good last year, but still one of the best in my mind still!!! I have seen there full shows, and I love it man, can't wait for the new CD!

echo tribe Tue 3/27/2007 01:54PM

best band going.... hands down.... if you disagree you might be a fool.... but I do mean that in a nice way...