As a member of the Greyboy Allstars, leading his own units like the 20th Congress or engaged in fierce, tasty interplay in the Stanton Moore Trio (see the boffo new Groove Alchemy for bubbling over examples), Walter moves in a lithe, engaging way, prodding his compatriots expertly and more than holding his own no matter who’s onstage with him. One gets the sense that pianos and Hammonds let loose a happy sigh when they see him coming. (Dennis Cook)
Here’s what Walter had to say to our inquiries.
1. Great music rarely happens without…
2. The first album I bought was…
The Beatles’ Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band
4. When I was a kid I wanted to grow up to be…
5. My favorite sort of gig is…
Small clubs like the Maple Leaf Bar in New Orleans on an off night
6. One thing I wish people knew about me is…
I’m a good cook
7. I love the sound of…
My son learning piano
8. One day I hope to make an album as fantastic as…
Herbie Hancock’s Thrust
9. The best meal I ever had on tour was at…
Fried chicken from Jacque Imo’s in New Orleans
10. I always find the coolest audiences in…
New Orleans, San Francisco, Chicago
11. The worst habit I’ve picked up being on the road all the time is…
12. The Beatles or the Stones? Por qué?
I think the Stones are cooler, but I’d usually rather listen to The Beatles.
13. The craziest thing I ever saw was…
Russell Batiste sitting in on a left-handed drum set and playing as great as always
JamBase | Wailin’
Go See Live Music!
Check out the unbelievable setlist and watch clips from last night’s guest-filled Brendan & Jake’s 15th Annual Holiday Show in Chicago.
Warren Haynes’ Christmas Jam is an event unlike any other and this year’s concert was one those in attendance will never forget.
A collection Frank Zappa fans have been hoping would be released for the past 44 years is finally coming.
JamBase is pleased to unveil the initial lineup for May’s 11th annual DelFest.
World-jammers Toubab Krewe will soon release ‘Stylo’ and has shared a taste of the LP as well as a full batch of 2018 tour dates.
The 21st and final installment of Remembering Phish Fall Tour 1997 focuses on the show in Albany, New York that took place 20 years ago today.