Festivals Forum

Summer's Coming and the Time is Right

15 Total Messages • Page 1 of 1 •
Summer Camp - tell me everything!
blueorchid
blueorchid
1/8/2013 10:02 AM

I am entertaining Summer Camp this year in Chillicothe, IL.

Tell me everything! What all amenities are included in VIP? Does VIP include better stage viewing? What is the cost? What about RV hookups in RV Camping?

What is the best and worst thing about this fest? About how many people attend? How are the restroom facilities? What are the onsite food options and cost?

The website is a little lacking in info.

Thanks!

blueorchid
blueorchid
1/11/2013 05:19 AM

Care to expand that thought? Alternative suggestions for betters fests in the midwest?

Ovsoldier
Ovsoldier
1/16/2013 02:46 PM

There is no better fest in the midwest. Ive never been personally, I live way to far away. He told me the grounds were amazing, but it gets extremely dusty (goes with pretty much any festty with over 10,000 people) so bring some wet wipes or something. UHhh lets see... he told me that your allowed to take your beer wherever you want (gotta be in cans)and that's fucking awesome. Save yourself allot of money. You get 3 sets of Umphreys..... Not much more to ask for. Damn i wish i could make it up there. Go to Bear Creek next year, just got back from that a month or soo ago. AMAZING.

Ovsoldier
Ovsoldier
1/16/2013 02:47 PM

Woops left this part out. My real good friend went last year

Ovsoldier
Ovsoldier
1/17/2013 03:53 PM

That's just what my buddy told me. He said that technically YOU'RE not allowed to bring ur own beer, but once you get it in you can just carry r cooler with you. I don't see him just making all of that up. It sounded like BS to me too when I first heard it. I'm def not 100% certain about it just sayin wat I've heard. and its "check" not "chaeck". What r u an English major or something? This is a music forum. I could care less about making my grammer correct.

GratefulFrederick
GratefulFrederick
1/18/2013 01:51 PM

*grammar

bms44
bms44
1/19/2013 04:06 PM

I went last year for the first time. Made the 10+ hour drive because the lineup is dirty. Here's the good and bad:

Pros:

- Sick lineup

- Once you're in the festival, the stages are completely open. You can come and go freely without any security checkpoints at the concert areas. This is the only festival of its size that I've seen that.

- Showers were affordable (like $4, I think?), if you like to shower at festivals (I never have. Haha.

- Festival grounds and staff were nice.

- FREE (FREE!) festival taxis for helping to get your stuff from the parking lots into the venue. Or for just riding around.

- Good selection of food and vendors.

- Port-O-Potties were generally clean and accessible.

- Security was pretty lax for me on the way in, although I heard differently from other people. I think that, just like any other festival, it depends on what line you get in.

Cons:

- DUSTY! Take a couple of bandanas to wrap around your face. By the end of the weekend, I was coughing up black crud from inhaling the dust.

- Late nights (in the barn) cost extra money and you must buy tickets in advance. This was not really an issue because there was plenty of other stuff to see and do all night.

- If I remember correctly, I had to pay extra for parking (~$10).

- You are not allowed to bring in ANY outside alcohol. People snuck in beer and liquor, so we didn't have any issue buying it all weekend. The festival sells 12 packs for something outrageous (like ~$30). Be creative when sneaking things in, or just seek people out to buy from once you're in.

- It was hot as hell last year (abnormally so) and there is no shade unless you're in the woods or under your EZ-up.

- Overlapping sets. You CANNOT see every moe. and UM set, and you WILL have to make some serious decision about which shows to go to. I guess this is a blessing and a curse.

All in all, I would say 100% that you should go if you can afford the ticket. If it were more convenient for me, I'd definitely be going for the lineup.

Kitch77
Kitch77
1/19/2013 05:05 PM

They charge $30 for 12 racks? Ridiculous...

insignia
insignia
1/20/2013 06:40 PM

Summercamp is dope. Been there 5 of the past 7 years, cant make it this year. Sneak all ur beer in the first day spread out through all ur shit. depending on security theyll usually take a few n let u keep the rest. Clear liquor in water bottles is perfect.

Beer is expensive but compared to bar prices its not terribly. 12-15 for 12pack of cans and about 25 for good bottles like seirra, goosse island, magic hat.

But yea once u have ur beers inside u can drink them freely basicly anywhr without hassle even if its not beer they sell.

pfrostjr
pfrostjr
1/21/2013 08:31 AM

I went to Scamp in 2010 and 2011. It is awesome. I did VIP both times. It was either 100 or 150 more. I already bought my weekend pass and will get VIP when they go on sale.

- You are not allowed to bring in any booze, but it is super easy to sneak it in, and once it is in you can take it to the stages. I would just load a bag of wine into a backpack and get drunk all day long.

- Watch out with trying to bring in drugs. There are a ton of cops in the towns outside of the festival that will pull you over and start searching your car. At one intersection I saw 5 cars lined up with their stuff thrown on the side of the road by cops.

- VIP includes one late night show in the barn. I highly suggest going to at least one show their. I saw Pretty Lights and STS9 one year and Big Gigantic and Lotus the next year.

- You can see every Moe and Umphrey's set, they do not play at the same time, but you would have to sacrifice seeing other bands.

- Thursday Pre-party is a must. It is like $25 or free with VIP. Future Rock plays a free show in the barn that night. Smallest crowds of the festival but still high quality acts.

- There is special viewing for VIP on the two main stages. That isn't the biggest deal, but it was nice to get to a set a little late and be able to get up front.

- It is the most legit festival (if you aren't camping it isn't a festival it is just a really long concert) within 3 hours of Chicago.

mcgoo4171
mcgoo4171
1/24/2013 08:09 AM

*TACO HEAVEN!!!* is the best! It saved me! lol Last year was my first year at Scamp and lordkundalini, your advice helped me a lot! Thank you! :) I camped in VIP and yes, it is totally worth it! Got to see Les Claypool late night! That was the 1 late night I HAD to have. The VIP camping is super intimate and is a very short walk from the main stage! For such a big festival, it really has a smaller, more intimate vibe! I love that! I went alone but met up with some awesome new people that later ended up camping with me! :)

*I had the homemade granola bars!* :)

Same rules apply as with any other festival...don't be stupid and you won't have a problem. There is NO OUTSIDE ALCOHOL,they do enforce this and have several check points. They are on to every trick in to book, folks. I really recommend that instead of going through the heartache of getting your stuff confiscated, to just buy it there! I found drink prices are extremely reasonable for a festival and they have good beer! Bring water!!! :)

Found Scamp to be very handicap friendly! I have a knee and back injury that prevents me from being able to hurry from stage to stage, but the cabs were a big help! They are free for handicap, although I tipped them anyway cuz they were so cool! I think it was $4 dollars a ride, but they were helping people get their gear from their cars.

Camping...if you can afford the VIP upgrade, do it! The VIP lounge is great and drinks are super cheap there! There are woods to camp in, but if you like to sleep at night, wouldn't recommend it.lol Fun to visit though! Would definitely bring an EZ up and some taps for shade or rain! May is fickle!

I would bring a bandana for the dust, although the only place I found it to be an issue was the main stage. They were pretty good about watering down the streets.

Overall, Scamp is one of the best festivals I've been to and planning on doing it again this year! *Getting excited*

mcgoo4171
mcgoo4171
1/24/2013 09:31 AM

Yeah, too old and injured to be hauling my gear into festivals anymore. I did that for a long time! LOL That's actually the one thing that kept me from Summer Camp for so long, but no prob! The staff was a huge help and extremely nice. Really dug all the late night bluegrass last year - Infamous Stringdusters, Cornmeal. Nice to have a different "late night" music options! Liked that!

biscofied
biscofied
1/27/2013 08:50 AM

I'll be making my return to Scamp. Last time there was 2006. Since, ive hit up both Rothy's, both EFF's. This year the price for an EFF vip ticket is a joke. Plus i need way more jam in my life then EFF has to offer. Raging VIP at Scamp for sure. Lineup looks pretty good so far. Cant wait to see the rest

biscofied
biscofied
1/27/2013 08:51 AM

I'll be making my return to Scamp. Last time there was 2006. Since, ive hit up both Rothy's, both EFF's. This year the price for an EFF vip ticket is a joke. Plus i need way more jam in my life then EFF has to offer. Raging VIP at Scamp for sure. Lineup looks pretty good so far. Cant wait to see the rest

biscofied
biscofied
1/27/2013 10:21 AM

thought i would say that twice, i guess

By using the forums you agree to comply with our Terms of Use