Festivals Forum

Summer's Coming and the Time is Right

13 Total Messages • Page 1 of 1 •
Floydfest
jamie350
jamie350
6/17/2011 11:44 AM

Looking to going to Floydfest this year... Already went to Delfest and had a freakin' fantastic time. It was my second Delfest and it was rockin'.

Anyway, I have heard Floydfest is like Delfest, except on steriods. Sounds awesome!!

Has anyone been? What are your thoughts? Recommendations to party HARD?

Thanks!

Jamie

Stinkaroo
Stinkaroo
7/12/2011 03:30 PM

I've been to both and I don't think they are that similar... maybe in vibe they are.. Floydfest has a more diverse selection of artists (which is easy when you have 7 stages)and has tons more vendors and activities besides the music. They have disc golf, hiking trails, children's universe, etc..etc.. and there is a county fair type feel.

Its a very clean and green festival. Don't do anything illegal in the open and have fun. Oh, bring a large container to conceal your alcohol in because VA law makes them have to designate fenced in areas where you can openly drink. You won't be hassled if your beer is in a bubba keg or even a simple red plastic cup.

toys
toys
7/12/2011 05:36 PM

Absolutely beautiful location just off the Blue Ridge Parkway. Very good one for families, very low key. Like Stink said, you are only supposed to drink in the beer garden areas. They have one stage in the main beer garden where lots of bands play, the Pink Floyd Garden stage. There is also a giant beer tent at the main stage, the Dreaming Creek one, and another one down at the Global Village stage this year too. You're not even supposed to be able to bring your own beer in at all. If you are parking on-site you're fine, otherwise expect them to check your cooler for beer. It's strict, but its what they have to do for VA law. They even have to sell you tickets, which you then trade for a beer, because even in the specified areas where they are even allowed to sell beer, its against the law for them to accept money for it.

Oh, and behave on the Blue Ridge Parkway. The cops and Park Rangers will not put up with any sort of nonsense.

Brodius
Brodius
7/14/2011 11:31 AM

this is my first floydfest, how the camping go down? im guessing shuttles will be takin us back in forth for the off site car and camp. Please post some more advice for me!

Brodius
Brodius
7/14/2011 12:01 PM

also u cant camp next to your car? how far away is the parking from the camp?

toys
toys
7/15/2011 06:13 AM

You can only camp next to your car if you have an on-site parking pass. You'll be told where to park and might have good space to camp next to your car or you might be better off hauling your stuff into the woods. Or, there is an offsite camping lot that I've done a couple times. If you park there not only can you set up next to your car, but you can take as much space as you want and park wherever in that lot you want. Tons of room, not many people there, completely unsupervised. Yes they have shuttles that run regulary between the off-site parking, off-site camping, and to the venue. Big full size boy scout school buses. If you park off site and are bringing gear in to set up camp, they have tractors to take you all over the venue til you get to the spot you want to set up camp. Its like a hay ride. Haul your crap off the bus from off site parking, jump on the hay ride, jump off when you're where you want to camp. Off site camping and off site parking are both miles from the venue. A short scenic enjoyable bus ride.

Brodius
Brodius
7/15/2011 10:23 AM

thanks for the help!

oxshensby
oxshensby
7/18/2011 11:17 AM

i can only swing sat but the sat lineup is sick. hot tuna acoustic, donna, yonder, taj, donna sweeeeeeeet

Stinkaroo
Stinkaroo
7/20/2011 07:55 AM

Don't miss Larry Keel on Hill Holler on Sat too!

todd1004
todd1004
7/22/2012 01:53 PM

We plan on parking off-site and camping on-site. We want to get a premium spot with lots of shade. Based on your experiences, what time should we get there to ensure a good on-site camping spot? We were thinking early Thursday morning?

Looking forward to an awesome weekend with awesome people! Thanks!!!!

Stinkaroo
Stinkaroo
7/24/2012 10:34 AM

It's going to be tough getting a spot onsite Thursday... but your best bet may be the family/quiet camping area which is located behind Children's Universe... just right of the main stage field. Good luck!

burrito240
burrito240
7/25/2012 01:01 PM

First time going to Floyd this year. Wanted to know how easy it is to bring liquor/booze into the camp site? How thorough are the bag checks into camping?

oxshensby
oxshensby
8/1/2012 05:22 PM

haha this thread started last year

floydfest as always was amazing.

i love floydfest!

By using the forums you agree to comply with our Terms of Use