Festivals Forum

Summer's Coming and the Time is Right

21 Total Messages • Page 1 of 2 • 1 2 Next » 
New Post-Wanee Thread
GoldfingerDJ
GoldfingerDJ
4/14/2008 10:17 AM

The other one was getting to long to scroll down...

moe. & JJ Grey & Mofro sets are up on Archive.org

C'mon Ratdog & WFJ

chrisb71
chrisb71
4/14/2008 11:39 AM

Saw those this AM and already downloaded them... thanks for the heads up! The moe set was amazing and JJ & MOFRO put on a great set. Can't wait for the Family Jam set - it wasn't the same as having the Allman Brothers play, but where else would you get the chance to see such a great bunch of musicians play together on one stage? Warren was right "We were handed lemons, and we made lemonade".

Hope you all had as much fun as we did and that you all made it home safe & sound.

chrisb71
chrisb71
4/14/2008 12:29 PM

The DTB & Susan Tedeschi Soul Stew Revival set is available at http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=514657

GreenGrassHighTi…
GreenGrassHighTi…
4/14/2008 01:28 PM

I made it to Wanee for the first time and it was easily one of the best weekends of my life. The place is beautiful, the people were cool (mostly), and the music I heard was great. I didn't check out all the bands because I had lots of drinking, smoking, and chilling to do. But Levon Helm was fantastic, as was Mule. I enjoyed the Family Jam but wished the song selection was a little better. It also seemed to me that Derek Trucks was underplaying a lot, but I guess when you've constantly got guest guitarists/saxophonists/harmonica players on the stage, you can't have too much time to wail. Oh well, it's not like we didn't get to see Derek just a little bit later on the second stage. BTW, for anybody who hasn't been, the Mushroom Stage at night is friggin gorgeous.

Oh, and for all the "undercover DEA agents with night-vision will make you tear open your cigarettes" people need to give it a rest. The cops were SO laid back. We sat at camp and passed around countless joints and bowls...all you had to do was just keep an eye out (which, last time I checked, was good advice for smoking weed ANYWHERE). The only time I ever even saw a cop outside of the stage area was when one came to our camp area to take a report from some kids who claimed to have their money stolen. I ate a full bag of mushrooms and smoked an entire Black-n-Mild filled with weed right there on the field during the Mule show and everything was fine and dandy.

Oh yeah, how fun was the little "Sweet Caroline" sing-along during the break between Levon Helm and Govt Mule? I didn't expect the whole crowd to get into the "BA-BA-DA" part like they did.

joeythefoot
joeythefoot
4/14/2008 02:32 PM

I'm still trying to collect all of my thoughts from the weekend....

tuffgong41
tuffgong41
4/14/2008 08:33 PM

...gather them thoughts up... Anyone recall when the sun beamed down out of the clouds during the moe. set? Sucha relaxed festival,..It was my frist time at wanee and I am excited about next year already..and like Greengrass said,, the mushroom stage at night is incredible. It feels like you are in the band's living room!

ISEEDEADPEOPLEDA…
ISEEDEADPEOPLEDA…
4/15/2008 05:53 AM

Bobby saved the day Saturday to me. that family jam sucked. hate to say that and all. it IS cool to be able to see all those talents on stage at once, but it's my feeling they all just clogged it up and we had to listen to boring songs like Stoned Me and Watchtower just so all 10 guitarists or however many could keep up. Derek and Warren should've kicked all those dudes off and went to town. oh and Inca Maya kicks serious ass. if y'all missed them you missed out.

Tpetty
Tpetty
4/16/2008 04:46 PM

How was Levon's performance? Did he play a lot of Band songs? Im just curiuos as il be seeing him at Mountain jam...

joeythefoot
joeythefoot
4/17/2008 11:22 AM

Dude Levon simply tore it up Tpetty. He started out with a rocking Ophelia right into Dylans Takes A Lot to Laugh, Takes a Train to Cry. He did a rag mama rag and a few band tunes. He also played a good big off of his new dirt farmer album(which is excellent, I highly suggest checking that out). Josh comin dude, how can you say the family jam sucked? They were just trying to make the best out of a bad situation with Greg. We got to see some world class musicians playing together, where normally none of these guys would never have a chance to jam together. I thought Robert Walter and Kofi on keys was awesome. I'm a fan of Van Morrison, so I really dug the And It Stoned Me....I mean yeah it did lack a little bit, but all in all it was a good performance. At times I do agree they seemed to be rushing a little and trying to get everyone up and give them a chance to play but it didn't suck brother. And you are correct my friend Bobby's set just blew it out of the water. One of the best RatDog shows I've seen out of the handful I've been too. The boys were tight all night long, and sounded fucking unbelieveable. I still say tht Levon was my favorite set of the weekend. Can't wait to find that tape. Derek & Susan late night were amazing. I'm glad they covered a couple of Allman songs, but the cover man of the weekend was all the Dylan that folks did. Bobby's A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall was great, right into Looks Like Rain. The Lazy River Road really highlighted Bobby's set for me though. I'm still pissed my camera broke Saturday, but I got a shitload of awesome pictures of Levon. I'm not a big fan of moe. either, but they were really good Saturday afternoon after the rain. Del and the boys set the bar high, and moe. came out and rocked hard. The Plane Crash was excellent. I could go on and on for a few hours, so I'll shut up now. All in all this was my first Wanee, and it will definitely NOT be my last. I'm going to reserve our campsite as soon as the dates are announced for 2009. We met some great people so we're already pumped for next year!!!

joeythefoot
joeythefoot
4/17/2008 11:23 AM

Wow I shouldn't have smoked that opium before I came back to work..my grammar in my last post is all fucked up. "played a good BIG"?? damn foot come on...yeah that's the other thing I fucked up was the "Josh comin" I meant come on...guess I should start proof reading..

Danimal
Danimal
4/17/2008 11:34 AM

Sounds awesome. I may have to forgo Langerado next year for this one. Unless Langerado's lineup is as good as it was this year.

Tpetty
Tpetty
4/17/2008 11:50 AM

hahaha opium tends to mess with our ones english and grammar skills...glad all you guys had fun though....

ISEEDEADPEOPLEDA…
ISEEDEADPEOPLEDA…
4/17/2008 12:33 PM

^^^ in retrospect, Joey, "sucked" might have been a little harsh. it just seemed to me to be to hurried and the continuity just wasn't there. i mean was Derek even on stage??? and i'm all about seeing all those great musicians on stage, and MAYBE even on stage at the same time, but that being said, i guess the best way to say it is that there were too many cooks in the kitchen for my taste. i'd have much rather had fewer sit-ins with more shredding. i equated it to listening to a juke box almost: everybody's favorite song > stop > everybody elses favorite song > stop > another song > stop. where was the jamming? where were the transitions? they're all pros. they could've played more difficult stuff than Watchtower etc. i must reiterate that if Bob hadn't ripped it up, i would've come away with a less than pleasant taste in my mouth from Wanee this year. and Warren put it well: "all we did tonight was take lemons and make lemonade." true. but it was a bit sour for my taste.

joeythefoot
joeythefoot
4/17/2008 01:18 PM

I tend to agree with you dude. There def was not as much jamming as I would have liked. I do feel like they were trying to rush to fit everyone in and get them on stage and off as fast as possible. Bobby was definitely better than the family jam. I wish they would have pulled out more than just Mountain Jam during the family jam, but brother Greg was sick, so what could we do? They definitely didn't give Derek enough time up on stage, so I was pretty pissed about that. I could have gone for an all ABB set with Kofi or Robert Walter sitting in on keys. I think that would have left a better taste in everyones mouth...but they did the best they could with what they had and we all had to make the best of it.

ISEEDEADPEOPLEDA…
ISEEDEADPEOPLEDA…
4/17/2008 01:56 PM

^^ true that. the brothers minus greg allman set is what i was expecting too. even when the purple lights came up really slow and they were jamming around a little at the first of the show. i thought it would honestly be a brothers show but without all the bumbled lyrics. oh well. great flippin' time anyway. be sure and try out the Bear Creek Music Festival (formerly Down on the Farm) this year too if they have it. had it at SOSMP last year and i think it was great.

By using the forums you agree to comply with our Terms of Use