Festivals Forum

Summer's Coming and the Time is Right

6 Total Messages • Page 1 of 1 •
Reggae and Jam Band festival gathering
birdman23
birdman23
2/28/2008 08:24 PM

How come there is never a festival out there with good heady reggae and great jamband music. It would be a great combination that alot of people could get good vibes from. Imagine Phil Lesh, STS9, Burning Spear, and Toots and the Maytals as some headline. Im glad rothbury has the Wailers coming to the already great lineup. Hopefully All Good, the other fest i will go to will have some reggae to the scene.

Any opinions on fests with the killer combo of reggae and jamband

RobertRandolph20…
RobertRandolph20…
3/2/2008 10:42 AM

I disagree, I think a lot of festivals cater to both the jamband and reggae crowd. the wailers are all over the scene as are burning spear and Franti (although I do not consider him heady). Last year we saw Easy Dub Allstars do Dub Side and RadioDread at All Good (extremely heady!) I believe it's on the Archive. Unfortunately Bonnaroo usual has killer acts from both scenes, although it's the worst festival that I've attended. All Good fulfills that requirement at times, Lanerado at times. I'd say scope the festival section of this site (Good resource).

O1Roggae
O1Roggae
3/3/2008 07:28 AM

Winston Rodney is a Legend. If you ever have a chance to catch Burning Spear, don't miss out, real reggae from a living legend. By the way never go to the Caribeann Music Festival(aka Marley Fest) in Miami. This was my third year and it was 50 dollars as compared to last years 35 and the music was sub-par. Capelton was alright, but the Marley Brothers came out for only about 45 minutes and didn't have the energy they used to have and Damien only played 3 of his own songs. Joseph Israel was the highlight for me, if you haven't seen him, check him out, he is actually unique and has a sick bass player who wails it. But, the reason why I am saying not to go to Marley Fest is because to me its all about the money. That is why they seem to have the fest now. To me they seem like they use their music and rasta culture as a way to make money off the young stoners who don't even know they are getting ripped off half the time. You easily spend 200 dollars there and don't even know it. I hate to say it but I hate this fest because I feel they are using the Marley name to make a buck, and its not right.

RobertRandolph20…
RobertRandolph20…
3/3/2008 07:41 AM

Everybody is using Bob's name to make a buck... You have to try to seperate the entities trying to package a product with his name/ face on it, and the people trying to keep the vibe alive. And I agree Burning Spear is by far my favorite Raggae band of all time.

birdman23
birdman23
3/3/2008 09:31 AM

I still have to disagree about the vibes at fest being both because ur right there usually is one or two band that are regggae vibes. The wailers go, not being much more than a marley cover band, franti is good but more rock-reggae. Im just saying like a festival with about half and half of both those vibes. I love reggae music and when it hits u u feel no pain, but im a big grateful dead (dso, phil, ratdog, mickey) and sts9 fan so id like to see those festivals most of all. Imagine like Steel Pulse, Toots, Burning Spear, Wailers, Marley Bros, Buju Banton, Third World, Wailing Souls, Sizzla, and more at All Good with the rest of the great jambands. Im just saying no festival goes half and half like that an it would be intriguing to be a festival with biculturing great vibes. There are good reggae fests like Reggae on the Rocks at Red Rocks, Reggae on the River in Cali.

RobertRandolph20…
RobertRandolph20…
3/3/2008 09:39 AM

I believe Reggae on the River is no more...

By using the forums you agree to comply with our Terms of Use