Festivals Forum

Summer's Coming and the Time is Right

11 Total Messages • Page 1 of 1 •
whats big cypress like??
sourdeeeezzplease
sourdeeeezzplease
2/15/2008 12:56 PM

im going to langerado this year and was wondering how the the grounds were and what security was like. i heard they moved it there for space and florida cops cant go on the reservation... is this true???

Danimal
Danimal
2/15/2008 03:56 PM

All I've heard is that it's real big and there is a shortage of shade. I'd like to know more also.

Anabolic
Anabolic
2/16/2008 10:09 AM

I haven't been there but I've spent alot of time in Florida. I'd say bring lots of bugs spray! Inland Florida in July is brutal. The humidity is crazy and expect about a twenty minute thunderstorm around 2pm each day,at least that's the scene around Gainesville.

AbusingTheSchwar…
AbusingTheSchwar…
2/16/2008 08:07 PM

Don't totally rule out the possibility that it will be a little bit cold at night. Here in FL we're talking end of winter, hit or miss at to when the cold fronts stop coming in for the year. Can't hurt to bring something warm, though if you're coming from further north it will probably just feel like perfect weather to you :-) (more worried about the heat arriving too soon... good choice that they did it EARLY March)

And yes, shortage of shade in the camping areas, at least in at the Phish BC event the campsites were not near any trees. Rain... likely to happen at SOME point during the event, but not a big threat unless your tent leaks (now THAT sucks!). And Anabolic is right about the bug spray.

Early March is a good time. There is a very good chance the weather will be beautiful.

Any other advice I can think of is just the same stuff you need to know at every jam festival, like bring your own toilet paper, etc. My current favorite link is: http://www.oldmusicproject.com/Campers_Advice.html

About the cops... not sure about that not allowed on the reservation thing... I did see cops at Phish BC, but they were all very obvious locals, no crackdown forces from outside. The security WAS extremely lax... all kinds of goodies were shared with little to no paranoia... all they wanted to do was keep violence and destructive shit from happening. BUT, don't be overly complacent. I was stopped by a cop who I believe was a Seminole, for no good reason, and had my pockets searched.

As for the grounds in general, I am quite certain that the people running the actual event will hold much more sway than the Seminoles who run the reservation, in terms of security and all that stuff. I would expect a laid back scene, but to be honest, my take is that you really just have to feel out what the security is like at each individual event you go to.

One thing though, the Phish crowd were terrible with leaving their trash (along with piles of shit and used toilet paper in the woods) so there might be a bit more of a crackdown this time with keeping the place clean

hope that informs! :-)

sourdeeeezzplease
sourdeeeezzplease
2/17/2008 05:36 AM

thanks, your right ill just feel the security out. i really want to go to langerado but i saw this youtube video of cops arresting all sorts of people. im not there to sell but i dont like those vibes of handcuffs and pigs all on shakedown. i bet the reserv. cops are more forgiving than the years past. the youtube video is called LANGERADO- PACK AND ENJOY PART 2. DAMN PIGS!!

Anabolic
Anabolic
2/18/2008 04:46 PM

From my experience at festivals the folks that get arrested are the ones the flaunt(sp?)their drug use,young kids that seem to believe that at a festival they are exempt from the law. I really haven't seen any type of "shakedown" going on. For the most part most cops don't mess with folks unless they're acting like fools.

vasont
vasont
2/18/2008 08:12 PM

As my experience went in big cypress at Phish, security was very laid back and there were really no worries. I can't vouch for what it'll be like at Lango, but I would assume it will be very similar. I could be mistaken, but I think most Indian reservations police themselves and are exempt from most outside laws. You might verify that on your own though. I pretty much agree with what Anabolic has to say though...act like ya been there before, right. Have fun!

amber.rice001
amber.rice001
2/19/2008 12:03 AM

all the pics ive seen of the reservation have minimal tree cover but its been crazy hot in miami this week and its only going to get worse as time goes on. im not sure about hanging tarps for shade with out trees to tie them on... the whole event is getting so much publicity around SE Florida im sure there will be plenty of security its just a matter of how descreatly you can break the rules!

Iulizbug
Iulizbug
2/20/2008 09:37 AM

Sounds like we should def bring our gazebo though then for the day for shade. I'm plenty excited for this festi to get here already!!!

harryk
harryk
2/20/2008 11:35 PM

i have spent a few nights out in the everglades and it gets dark, very dark.

Jobrill
Jobrill
3/5/2008 06:02 AM

hello my name is Greg. I am traveling from west palm to langerdo. My girl friend and I have and SUV with plenty of space for 2 people and there gear. I am looking for someone to offer something in triad aka gas money, tole money, merchandise ext.... I am willing to work out a deal for just aboutn anything if the triad is fair. I am leaving west palm at about around 5am so any one who wants on board should get a hold me via my email riccardi@gmail.com I hope to hear from you soon.

By using the forums you agree to comply with our Terms of Use