Festivals Forum

Summer's Coming and the Time is Right

16 Total Messages • Page 1 of 2 • 1 2 Next » 
anybody remember F.U.N.K.?
schofizzl
schofizzl
2/11/2008 05:17 PM

why did it go away? is it REALLY coming back this year? does anybody around here even care?

F.U.N.K. was the CoOoOlEsT festival around.

I DEMAND SOME INFORMATION!

hempcat1
hempcat1
2/12/2008 06:36 AM

we went to the last funk fest, was the best small fest ever. met so many chilled folk it was amazing. ya the only security we saw was one cop driving round, we just called him the "pizza guy"...lol. would love to see any info on funk,bean bloosom site says sept.12 thur 14th. funk is on our calander this year for sure. i hope to hear more info by summercamp,since its jay's fest,id think they would be trying to promote it at camp.how can ya go wrong with victor wooten, i hope UM comes back, was a kill show with joshua redman on sax,and we missed the max allen band, i hope they come back,i loved the cd i got from him.

hdrury
hdrury
2/12/2008 08:11 AM

I LOVED that festival and a whole bunch of folks in Louisville are sure hoping it is back for 2008.

schofizzl
schofizzl
2/13/2008 12:14 AM

man we had a sweet hotbox going to that free max allen cd in our car after victor when it was raining. i haven't been to too many festivals yet, but funk has definitely been my favorite. it was so small and relaxed, but at the same time just a total raging party. everybody we met was really cool, too.

groovatron latenight? anybody who was there knows it simply cannot be described by words, only facial expressions.

anybody have any recordings of f.u.n.k. '06? all i've been able to find is like $10 UM downloads and shitty youtube videos of the bass clinic. anybody else catch the morning jam with victor and steve bailey on that tiny little stage?

sephy
sephy
2/13/2008 08:25 AM

hell yeah i hope this is really coming back, one of my favs by far!!!

schofizzl
schofizzl
2/13/2008 11:34 PM

it would be so primo if UM repeated their joshua redman jammage this year. he really pushed them to foydian heights that night, which we were actually discussing before they played their Shine On encore. simply incredible.

hdrury
hdrury
2/14/2008 06:09 AM

Yeah I'm not a big Umphrey's fan really but that show with Joshua Redmon was AMAZING!!

hempcat1
hempcat1
2/14/2008 07:20 AM

It took me two summercamp's, then funk to really start getting into UM but ive been checking em out and im looking forward to seeing them again. they can just flow so easy. I remember seeing them the 1st time...my wife's cuz after the show said that was an great set...i looked at him and said damn that was one long song....lol...I am giving em another shot. im not a Um pro but i dig "in the kitchen" good song.

schofizzl
schofizzl
2/14/2008 04:08 PM

it takes some people a while longer to get into UM than others. for me i heard anchor drops when it came out and loved it, then my first show was the night before NYE'04 (was only 16 or 17 couldn't go to NYE:( and it was nothing short of incredible. still one of the best shows of theirs i've ever seen or heard.

April will bring my 9th and 10th UM shows, then summercamp will put me at 12, as well as 10 moe. shows... so i'm asking you all - at what point does it get sad?? have scientists discovered any addictive properties to Umphrey's? How can I know when I have an Umphrey's problem? are there any support groups out there that can get me to stop spending all my spare cash on these concerts? lol jk jk lol lmfao omg lol.

pigsnzen
pigsnzen
2/14/2008 09:01 PM

I've been to both of them so far, and it was a blast each time. No hassles at all the whole weekend.

I actually felt rested come Monday, unlike all my previous Bonnaroo experiences. The difference between a well-run small and big festival comes down to so many things for me. Shade, great grounds, nice friendly folks. FUNK Fest will always be on my calendar!

That Shine On that UM did was SICK!!!! I think I left a bit of my mind out there that night. ;)

pigsnzen
pigsnzen
2/15/2008 01:21 AM

Schofizzl, my buddy taped several of the shows in '06. I'll check which ones and post later on.

schofizzl
schofizzl
2/15/2008 12:50 PM

that would be amazing, especially the latenight groovatron.

pigsnzen
pigsnzen
2/15/2008 04:40 PM

I'm pretty sure we got that one - we had to keep people from dancing into the mikes during the whole set. ;)

schofizzl
schofizzl
2/16/2008 02:38 PM

hook me up with that recording and you will seriously be the coolest.

pigsnzen
pigsnzen
2/18/2008 01:58 PM

I checked with my buddy yesterday and we got most, if not all the show. If it ran over 2 hours, I think we missed anything after that (he was out of tapes for the DAT). I'll get him to rip it to CD and check back in in the next couple of weeks.

By using the forums you agree to comply with our Terms of Use