Show Reviews Forum

A place for the passionate

86 Total Messages • Page 4 of 6 • « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next » 
STS9, off night or losing the groove?
struby420
struby420
3/10/2010 12:36 PM

anyone who knows soundtribe's history knows they didn't start off with laptops (debuted in SF in 2002, from what I understand), and when I saw them on Friday the best parts of the show was the instrumental jamming, including the new song which uses NO LAPTOPS. so fuck off you soundtribe haters, it's old and baseless.

struby420
struby420
3/10/2010 01:44 PM

@smokey, uninspired garbage? you're full of baloney. i have heard enough version of every sts9 song (prior to Peaceblaster) to know what is and isn't a good version, and what i saw last friday was amazing. i've talked to other soundtribe laptop skeptics who have said they were blown away by the shows they saw this year. look at the setlists at sts9.com and tell me they're not playing older shit more.

the "new song" is entirely instrumental, smokey, quit sippin the haterade

PhunkyAdam
PhunkyAdam
3/10/2010 03:57 PM

Dude if you would ask me that question I still don't think you're 100% familiar with the technology. What do you mean why don't they create the sounds themselves? That's exactly what MIDI lets you do. As opposed to playing a preset patch on a generic keyboard you can make literally *any* sound or instrument you want with the right software, equipment, time and patience. You tell me what is more inspired?

struby420
struby420
3/11/2010 09:35 AM

interlaying all the sounds that sts9 is known for has become an essential part of their character, smokey. none of their songs are played the same way they were pre-laptops, even evasive and moonsocket have spacey exploratory intros on many occassions. (wake me up when they play HB Walks or You're It). you can't reject the influence of the computer age on soundtribe when it is clearly what seperates them from the "pack" of "jam bands" in terms of originality. the sounds still correspond to notes on a scale of a relativity, so pressing a key still represents makign one sound. if you want to get techincal phipps has never used a grand piano (outside of gates hall show) and therefore is never making any of the sounds himself, and never has in their entire history. your argument is bullshit. so what if dudes with flat brimmed hats, huge glasses, and throwback nugget jerseys are going to the shows. this isn't your crystal heady mayan obsessed band anymore. they feel like they have a purpose, a message. have you seen thre regeneration trailer? i'm happy more people are appreicate of what this band is doing. they're only going to get bigger. the show i saw last friday showed me they haven't forgotten how to throw down a great party show, with good dance tunes. it was on par musically with much of 2004-2007, their "glory years", from your close-minded rubric. resentment makes people say silly things and it clouds their vision, and this clearly is the case with you.

PhunkyAdam
PhunkyAdam
3/11/2010 10:12 AM

THANK YOU struby, Oh god thank you! Well said. He obviously STILL does not understand how the technology works. I could understand believing that they just press a few buttons without really understanding the technology, and that they are playing keyboards, not just pressing buttons. But, considering I have explained how this works several times, and he has either failed to read them or is in denial/doesn't understand.

Do you STILL not realize that they are not only triggering sound samples, they are also PLAYING a keyboard. Tell me how playing a midi keyboard hooked up to a PC is ANY different than playing a normal keyboard. Other than the fact that the MIDI keyboard will take a longer time to get used to, you can tweak it to turn that one keyboard into ANYTHING, rather than a normal keyboard which has a small selection of non-tweakable generic sounds.

PhunkyAdam
PhunkyAdam
3/11/2010 10:16 AM

And just so you know i'm not completely biased smokey, you are not alone in missing the Tribe of yesterday. Hell, the last time I saw them, they played Equinox(an absolute fave of mine) so slow that even I didn't like it. While I miss a lot of the old Tribe, and dislike most of Peaceblaster, at least they are constantly evolving and working on fresh material, rather than regurgitating the same material they have played for years like many bands. I still have hope that they will soon find a mixture of old and new, that works for both old and new fans alike.

struby420
struby420
3/11/2010 12:02 PM

I've never heard anyone say Hunter Brown is a shredding guitarist like Jake or Trey or Jimmy or anyone like that. The role of guitar in STS9 is completely different, it requires completely different techinques and sounds. HB doesn't have to shred, he still plays guitar dude, did it plenty last friday. He does what he needs to. You're a silly man smokey.

CircuitBent
CircuitBent
3/11/2010 12:11 PM

^^dude you act like brown can't play guitar. You do know he can shred right? When I saw them last Oct it was the best tribee show I've seen. They ended w the unquestionable supremecy of nature and they killed it.

I took a buddy who was all into accoustic only sounding bands and he said it was the best show he's ever seen. Does an amp make playing the guitar any easier? Think about it. You just sound like a hater...

struby420
struby420
3/11/2010 12:13 PM

heavy has a ridiculous guitar loop, so i can see where some "purists" would object to that, and i don't personally like the song, but who the fuck cares? sts9's played bad shows. anyone heard of coventry? every band has a year, a tour, a streak, where they go through changes, where maybe they're not at the top of their game. sts9 is over that hump.

CircuitBent
CircuitBent
3/11/2010 12:14 PM

^^dude you act like brown can't play guitar. You do know he can shred right? When I saw them last Oct it was the best tribee show I've seen. They ended w the unquestionable supremecy of nature and they killed it.

I took a buddy who was all into accoustic only sounding bands and he said it was the best show he's ever seen. Does an amp make playing the guitar any easier? Think about it. You just sound like a hater...

CircuitBent
CircuitBent
3/11/2010 12:42 PM

PhunkyAdam
PhunkyAdam
3/11/2010 12:50 PM

smokey, You have got to be messing with me, right? After all those posts you really still don't understand how the technology works? Why do you keep talking about pushing a button? You obviously have never played a piano or a keyboard before if you really think it's that easy.

PhunkyAdam
PhunkyAdam
3/11/2010 12:53 PM

And dude, I know exactly how a guitar works, because if you actually read what I posted, I said that I started playing the guitar roughly 5 years before I ever picked up the keyboard. I know how both work, and I know that playing a guitar and playing a keyboard are both hard. Did you know that music theory is the same from instrument to instrument? I scale is the same played on a guitar or a piano. A chord is the same played on a guitar and a piano. The notes, chords, etc. are all THE SAME. They are just played differently with different techniques. You obviously don't play an instrument..

CircuitBent
CircuitBent
3/11/2010 12:58 PM

Sorry for 2x posts

struby420
struby420
3/11/2010 02:56 PM

only a hater would see them five times in 2009 right? drive 13 hours for a free show? hunter plays some amazing guitar, but it's not the same as bands who have longer, exploratory guitar solos. look at what i wrote. sts9 doesn't need a trey anastasio. i didn't say HB couldnt' play ever, but he doesn't have to be some kind of guitar god for soundtribe to be good. if trey sucked, phish would be as popular as any other jam band, probably less so. i've listened to the acoustic show soundboard, it was great. i have a halloween show from a while ago where he played acoustic during arigato, true to the artifact roots. i never said he was a bad guitar player, so get your shit straight before you talk.

By using the forums you agree to comply with our Terms of Use