Show Reviews Forum

A place for the passionate

86 Total Messages • Page 3 of 6 • « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next » 
STS9, off night or losing the groove?
CircuitBent
CircuitBent
3/5/2010 11:07 AM

I didn't hear the NYE show so I don't know how "accoustic" it was, but yes.

PhunkyAdam
PhunkyAdam
3/5/2010 11:19 AM

Well Brodius was proved wayyyyyyyyy wrong because the acoustic show was fantastic.

Brodius
Brodius
3/5/2010 03:26 PM

they still suck and are way over rated so fuck off

bdaughert
bdaughert
3/5/2010 08:55 PM

hey circuit bent, have you heard the NYEshow?...

bluesrequiem
bluesrequiem
3/6/2010 12:18 PM

STS9 > Umphrey's. Umphrey's are good but quality guitar players and such are a dime a dozen these days. Umphrey's is still JUST a jamband with shredding guitar solos, compositions, and climax. Yippee...i can see that from ANY decent jamband. sts9 has a pretty unique sound for a band i think.. sts9 definitely has their off nights, i have seen them. But i have also seen some KILLER sts9 shows. I have seen Umphrey's a number of times since 2004, and at their best vs. sts9 at their best, its no question sts9 is more interesting and groovable. just one man's opinion. Lay off both though for gods sake, they are just trying to entertain you lol... i laugh at people who think computers cant be an instrument. They are very narrow minded people who "have" to have a guitar/keyboard player or wahhhhh this music sucks....

Dguyther
Dguyther
3/6/2010 03:26 PM

a crappy show for one person could have been a great show for another we are all different people

PhunkyAdam
PhunkyAdam
3/6/2010 05:24 PM

Hah, Brodius got offended. Hahahaha

PhunkyAdam
PhunkyAdam
3/6/2010 05:25 PM

Oh, and to the people saying how easy it is to make music(good music that is) on a laptop, I give you one week to prove yourselves right. Which you wont, because you will most likely open up Ableton Live or FL or something, cry, and say forget it..

CircuitBent
CircuitBent
3/7/2010 08:58 PM

^^^ actually its much more difficult to master a program like ableton than it is to learn to play the guitar. I heard that Sony Acid is also a pretty good program for dubstep beats. But I bet you couldnt put two single sounds together on Ableton man you just don't know what your talking about. Try Ableton and you'll have new found respect for the musicians that use it.

CircuitBent
CircuitBent
3/8/2010 10:14 AM

^^okay its harder to learn the ableton basics than to learn basics on the guitar. I'm a master of neither but have learned some of the basics of both. Eitherway dissing a band because they use electronics and computers is weak.

BenjaminHuman
BenjaminHuman
3/9/2010 09:14 AM

gotta go with smokey on this one. instruments are pretty much always harder then software, sure maybe the software has a lot of "options" to learn, but so does the guitar. there's probably a hundred different ways to pluck a string. that's not meant to detract from ableton because, i just dont think guitar is easier.

do they make music live on ableton or just fiddle with prerecorded samples?

moephreys
moephreys
3/9/2010 03:34 PM

ppl think computers are hard to work cuz its just a bunch of buttons and nobs you have to figure out. but once you figure that out its easy. my friend took an ableton class at his community college and said it hard the first week then when you know what the bttons and nobs do its easy. i'd listen to phish umph or the dead any day over exsision and dubstep. all the songs sound the same with the repetative womps. if you've seen a dubstep show you've seen them all. that was a quote from my friend who loves dubstep. and i've slowly been corrupted him into a phish head and its working.

PhunkyAdam
PhunkyAdam
3/10/2010 10:41 AM

Smokey, You really don't seem to get it. Read up on MIDI and you will understand. I don't understand why you think playing a keyboard hooked up to a computer is any easier than playing a regular piano/keyboard/organ/etc. It's much more complicated as you have to get used to the software AND be able to play the keys. It's not like you can spend a few days learning Ableton and become an amazing piano player. Learning the software is just the very tiptop of the iceberg.

That being said, Tribe for the most part uses MIDI keyboards hooked up to Ableton live(in regards to their laptop setups). Trust me, I play an EMU Xboard MIDI keyboard and it does NOT play the keys for me, it just gives me the option to make just about any kind of music I want to. I play the piano/synths/organ WITH my computer. I can take a picture of my setup if absolutely necessary to understand the technology.

PhunkyAdam
PhunkyAdam
3/10/2010 10:42 AM

Oh, and having started on the guitar, I personally believe(opinion) that the guitar is much easier to get started. Power of the Tribe!

PhunkyAdam
PhunkyAdam
3/10/2010 10:47 AM

To anybody that still doesn't believe me, here is a link to a free program that works on Windows and Linux. This program is the easiest music production software i've ever used.

http://lmms.sourceforge.net/

Now if you would like to prove me wrong, grab a MIDI keyboard and make me a good song with that starting from zero music making experience. Listen to CircuitBent, you will have a newfound respect for these artists when you try to do this yourself, it's not as easy as it looks.

By using the forums you agree to comply with our Terms of Use