Show Reviews Forum

A place for the passionate

88 Total Messages • Page 1 of 6 • 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next » 
STS9, off night or losing the groove?
TonkaJoe
TonkaJoe
10/21/2009 10:46 AM

I saw my hitherto favorite heavy bass jam band at First Ave in Minneapolis on Oct. 8th and have to say I was disappointed. They only played for maybe 90 mins, and really didn't find an awesome groove until the end. I didn't hear the normal heavy bass I'm used to, and the drums weren't quite as driving as they'd been. I hadn't seen STS9 since Vegoose '06, and before that it was Fillmore Denver '06. I'm listening to the Vegoose show right now and wondering where the groove was that fateful night at First Ave. Anyone else wondering what's the dealio?

normlnick
normlnick
10/21/2009 06:29 PM

The last shows shows i have seen from this band have been very shitty. At the rothbury show everything from the crowd to the music was awful. This is just my opinion and i'm sure alot of people might disagree but i don't like where they are at as a band.

dietri63
dietri63
10/21/2009 08:11 PM

hmmm i may see them saturday night, but not if theyre playing like they did at rothbury...

cloudn9ne
cloudn9ne
10/21/2009 11:06 PM

I've never really been a big sts9 fine but got a couple shows and cds and would listen to them occasionally. I came down to Minneapolis to see EOTO and STS9 was playin a few hours before only a couple miles away so i figured i'd catch them before hand. I must say I was impressed and have a new respect for STS9. I felt the groove immediately and had a great time. I left kinda early to catch eoto and the opening act, so i didn't find out how short they played. I'm a bigger fan of theirs after their show now, but mostly listened to peaceblaster and the tabernacle show and never seen them live previously, so I can't really say wether they've gone down hill or how they've progressed.

CavemanUM
CavemanUM
10/22/2009 08:37 AM

Peaceblaster is so sorry it's not even funny

grassisgreen
grassisgreen
10/22/2009 11:47 AM

I saw them at Lolla and thought it was a good set, but I would never pay the exorbitant prices they are charging.

santa1
santa1
10/22/2009 02:07 PM

I have two extras for the New Years Show. Anyone interested?

bootjack
bootjack
10/27/2009 08:44 PM

I would definitly say they're past their prime. I agree caveman, peaceblaster was weak, and a steadily growing fanbase has breached into the masses, for me, thats almost never a sign that a band will continue to impress me. I have fond memories of attending some really great shows of their's as recent as last year, whereas the past few times ive seen them, I've found myself just getting caught up in the party when they're playing, and focusing alot more on opening acts and what not. however, some of their stuff is still some of my favorite music in the genre. and thats something I cherish, unfortunately I probably won't be paying over 20 dollars to see just them alone ever again.

Brodius
Brodius
10/30/2009 02:55 PM

Tribe is overrated! Bands like Lotus, umphrey's, and Disco are 10 times better then Tribe will ever be.

santa1
santa1
11/2/2009 12:39 PM

Haha, thats funny Brodius, who do you think Umphreys was listening to in the 90 when they were just forming? Both Disco and Umphreys have done tours with Tribe as "openers", Umphreys in 07. Lotus has played tribe after party's on the west coast many times. I think if you made a comment like that to those actual bands they would fully disagree with you. Granted the energy level and focus of Sound Tribe's music over the past few years has changed, and I'm not 100% sold on the direction their taking I still think that bands like UM, Disco and Lotus have alot to thank STS9 for.

Brodius
Brodius
11/3/2009 02:10 PM

I fully respect their influence towards alot of these bigger bands these days but tribe has done nothing but dissapoint their fans and gone down hill while bands like Lotus has gained bigger and bigger followings. Tribe just isnt up to par these days.

InRainbows15
InRainbows15
11/3/2009 08:02 PM

Tribe is by far one of the best electronic bands. They base most of there songs off of old piano or orchestra sets. I believe they are the most complete electronic and just know how to stun a crowd. I've never got down harder at any other electronic concert, including ones like eoto(these 2 guys are sick though), big gigantic, pretty lights, vibesquad, bassnectar, etc...

santa1
santa1
11/4/2009 02:23 PM

Research? How about this;

I grew up in central Illinois and went to school in Northwest Indiana. I know that in 99 and 2000 I was seeing tribe, touring nation wide, and I was paying 10 bucks to see this "up and coming band" Umphreys play shitty bars in Chicago and Indianapolis. As to Bisco and Tribe they were touring together in I think 95 or 96, I'm not sure I was only fourteen at that point and just getting into music, however I do know, from old school family that was there, that tribe did tours with bisco in order to blow them up. Same as the 08 east coast tour with Umphreys, it was only like eight nights, all east coast, and they switched opening duties, I know because I was at four of those shows. Truthfully, when I saw them on that tour I was pretty disappointed and kinda enjoyed the UM sets better, espically considering that tribe got cancelled due to weather one of the nights I saw them.

My comment was about how long STS9 has been on the scene doing what they do, and it's been quite a bit longer then UM and Bisco. I can tell your an UM kid, listen to the shit (literally) they were playing 04-07 right after their drummer dropped out, then listen to the stuff they were playing during and after they did the tour with Tribe, if you can't hear the influence, the shifting of focus and sound then I can't help you.

I agree that UM are phenomal musicians, thats always been their thing, however they are nowhere near as creative or fluid as STS9. That and murph kicks ass.

bdaughert
bdaughert
11/4/2009 02:59 PM

noone has a CLUE what they are talking about...

Danimal
Danimal
11/4/2009 05:17 PM

Get em Greg!

By using the forums you agree to comply with our Terms of Use