Show Reviews Forum

A place for the passionate

1 Message • Page 1 of 1 •
syncopated taint septet @14 below
hotchkiss
hotchkiss
9/3/2006 12:02 AM

14 below in santa monica is not my favorite venue. so needless to say i was dissapointed to see the taint was playing there instead of some of the other wonderful venues around L.A.

i hadn't been there in years and was pleasntly suprised to see it wasn't as bad as i remember. there was a full house and from where i was standing it sounded great.

in support of thier new album, husky, (out now go buy it!). the taint brought well over 2 hours of demented jazz, with elements of swing, hip hop and rock.

for those who don't know the syncopated taint septet is one of the many bands brought to us by skerik. the taint consist of 7 men (hence the septet) playing organ, electric piano, drums, clarinet, flute, trombone, trumpet, alto, barritone and tenor sax's.

they played only a few songs of there first live record. more than a handful of songs of the new album and a couple of covers. one was a monk tune i believe and a deerhoof song. any jazz band that covers deerhoof has to be the coolest jazz band in the world. they also welcomed randy dunn to the stage for a brief barritone sax solo. i believe randy was a member of the master musicians of bukkake, who did a tour with critters buggin a few years back.

each song played, aside from the deerhoof cover, was drenched in improv. with great solo's given by each band member.

unfortunetly for the rest of the world this was the last show of the tour. hopefully they will be back on the road soon.

By using the forums you agree to comply with our Terms of Use