Articles Forum

JamBase Features, Newswire & Reviews

14 Total Messages • Page 1 of 1 •
Pitchfork Music Fest | Chicago | Review
JamBase
JamBase
7/20/2011 12:00 AM

Pitchfork Music Fest | Chicago | Review
The highs & lows of a pretty exhilarating weekend with Deerhunter, Animal Collective, Cut Copy, Odd Future and more.

Roswellznutsack
Roswellznutsack
7/20/2011 01:23 PM

I think Indie hipsters are now officially worse than Wookie Hippies!!!!!!!!!!! ARGHHHHHHHH somebody save us all!

flambow
flambow
7/20/2011 01:54 PM

^ What made you jump to this conclusion?

What does this have to do with the review, or the music?

Why don't you try listening to and enjoying the records these bands are creating, therefore eventually changing the dynamic of the "Indie hipster" audience?

youknowit
youknowit
7/20/2011 03:05 PM

SUCK SUCK SUCK, WOW, what a surprise that Cut Copy was the biggest let down. I once saw these clowns because my friend got free tickets. It was the worst fucking show I have ever seen. They think they deserve to be listened to and that they are gods gift to music. They barely even moved and didn't say one word to the crowd. Not even thank you. HATE them and hate Pitchfork. YOu SUCK.

freekfreely
freekfreely
7/20/2011 04:17 PM

Really...Pitchfork ?

Where is the Superball IX review with pictures ?

digmusiccitylive
digmusiccitylive
7/20/2011 09:29 PM

Awesome review. Deerhunter rules.

BigErn
BigErn
7/21/2011 10:29 AM

Sothe average hipster is worse than the absolute worst people on our scene (unless you discern between friendly wooks and ghetto tour rat wooks). I guess its true we mock what we dont understand. AND where is the Superball IX coverage?!?!

snappy
snappy
7/21/2011 11:38 AM

Editor's Note: We had two different reviewers lined up for Super Ball IX and both failed to turn in reviews. We're still hoping to present photos eventually but waiting on approval from band to run pics.

Roswellznutsack
Roswellznutsack
7/22/2011 08:49 AM

You need to tell your reviewers to lay off the Molly and K, and then maybe they'd turn in their homework instead of joining the space cadet academy!

hellopanda
hellopanda
7/22/2011 08:58 AM

Wow, this sounds like a lame time. Even the reviewer pretty much ragged on it. Some highlights, for sure, but overall was a depressing read (no offense to the reviewer - he was just being honest). Liked the words and thoughts on DJ Shadow - sums up why I wouldn't go to Pitchfork (unless I got a free ticket and lived in Chicago). Seems like festies like this (and, arguably, the "indie" or "hipster" scene in general, if you wish to distinguish between the two, is more about hype than substance. Some good acts, don't get me wrong (Fleet Foxes, DJ Shadow, TVOTR), but overall looks like a drag.

NRSingh
NRSingh
7/22/2011 11:35 AM

Hey Snappy- if you guys want someone to write a review of Superball, let me know! I'll happily write one up.

NRSingh40 at gmail dot com

electronicjams
electronicjams
7/23/2011 07:14 AM

This little tid bit about Cut Copy got me in stitches for how mind-numbingly paradoxical it was:

"It probably made sense to the organizers to have an upbeat, highly danceable act to rev up the crowd after whatever Bradford Cox happened to do, and in that sense, they were successful."

they were the "most dissapointing" set, yet they were highly danceable and upbeat. Did you even listen to their albums before you caught their set? They're an 80s synth pop band, thus they're going to sound like one.

and the reviewer gets ::drum role please:: the "most predictable music journalist rant for the Summer of 2011"

...for calling out Odd Future for the most offensive set of the weekend. Did we land on the moon yet?

electronicjams
electronicjams
7/23/2011 07:17 AM

and hellopanda, listening to some great fuckin bands in Chicago during the best time of the year, well, let me say this, it was definitely not a bad time.

electronicjams
electronicjams
7/23/2011 07:20 AM

honestly, how can you have a review of Pitchfork in 2011 and not mention James Blake's set? huge fail.

That was by far the most mind-blowing set of that weekend.

By using the forums you agree to comply with our Terms of Use