Articles Forum

JamBase Features, Newswire & Reviews

17 Total Messages • Page 1 of 2 • 1 2 Next » 
High Sierra Music Fest 2011 | Review | Pics
JamBase
JamBase
7/8/2011 12:00 AM

High Sierra Music Fest 2011 | Review | Pics
A truly ludicrous amount of primo photos and an insightful set of highlights from this absolutely amazing California jewel.

JEBBFCFM
JEBBFCFM
7/9/2011 12:23 AM

Another amazing year as usual. Nice review of the music although i always look forward to the nice mix of band pix and people pix, as well as top 5 lists from artists and writers, and videos. There are so many things that go on at high sierra that it's impossible to touch on all of it, but i do feel this review fell quite short from past years. I'm not trying to be negative, just giving constructive criticism cuz it's something i look forward to every year. Thanks

toestothenose
toestothenose
7/9/2011 06:23 AM

Really nice work Podolsky, Miller, Quist and co.

I caught the Ween set from HSMF radio online in Philly and when they busted out Bowies "Let's Dance' it made me miss HSMF in a major way. Thank-you for bringing me into the fold with a glimpse at all the goodness that Quincy had to offer in 2011.

hellopanda
hellopanda
7/9/2011 09:38 AM

great review, and AWESOME pics. seriously some of the best pics I've seen in a while. thanks j-base!

PooDolla
PooDolla
7/10/2011 12:12 PM

i want some of that paella.

bigchris
bigchris
7/10/2011 04:40 PM

great pics by Miller and Co.! It was fun time in Quincy. Ween really killed on Sunday night

Can't believe many hadn't seen them before, they only be a major touring act for 15-20 years! Time to expand your horizons, jam fans.

ROCK!

androckguitar
androckguitar
7/10/2011 08:56 PM

My 7th year in a row and another amazing time! This festival is the best; the vibe is awesome. Also, the music may look a little "weak" on paper but I always feel that every band plays their best sets at High Sierra...It's a magical place. My Morning Jacket and Warren Haynes killed it for me. ALO was awesome too, and the list goes on...

lovemusical
lovemusical
7/11/2011 11:14 AM

Always funny to hear about a tribe of unfamiliar hippies getting their wigs blown away by Ween. Chill out, and open your minds freaks. It can't all be face melting jam. Ween's live shows are face melting in their own right with the energy they bring playing their brilliant music. Hopefully all these festival gigs open up some new fans for them, of the non- p.c. prudish types.

RedHeaven
RedHeaven
7/11/2011 11:28 AM

Its always funny to hear Ween fans ASSume that hippies just couldnt "handle" Ween. Its not that....its that Ween was on Sunday after 4 full days of EPIC mind blowing talent. I love Ween but I admit it was hard to Go Brown after that My Morning Jacket set which was I am pretty sure my favorite concert I have ever seen. After all the incredible musicianship, Weens personality got a little lost for me....it was fun but nothing Earth shattering...More like Earth Sharting, like it shood :)

GREAT REVIEW JAMBASE, once again! Its really cool you got a Newbie to write this year. Nice fresh perspective. My 12th year and it just gets better and better. Sometimes I consider trying something new for July 4th weekend, but HSMF draws me back and after this year there is no way I would ever consider something else as long as HSMF is going on.

LOVE the pics, excellent work! Would of liked to see some more of the camps and grounds, thats my only gripe. Lets keep this well oiled machine going! It is a world and personality of its own and it seems like every year everyone knows that more and more. Long Live the Great Sierra

lovemusical
lovemusical
7/12/2011 10:15 AM

@RedHeaven, glad to hear you're down with the Boognish, but I'm not ASSuming anything. Many fest-freak hippies can't handle Ween at "their" festival because they don't like their subject matter, tongue in cheek or not. This has been posted, stated and overheard many times. Not that its that important. Whatever blows your hair back. For me, it's refreshing to go brown, just to mix it up a bit. I can only take so much of white college kids trying to play jazz. I like diversity. I love MMJ and would love to see them again, but those guys can't even come close to an epic Ween show. Although admitedly Ween is very hit or miss right now, with Geners substance problems. Anyways, peace.

michaeljackson
michaeljackson
7/12/2011 12:32 PM

Great Review!

...now where's the SBIX review?!?!?

sueshi9
sueshi9
7/12/2011 05:07 PM

A few corrections: Bill Frisell's drummer is Kenny Wollesen. Many sit ins by Audio Angel, not Ruthie Foster (though she did sit in with Warren for one tune), along with Skerik, Josh Clark and Jessica Lurie.

Nice writing and pics, guys!

lanceuphisbutt3
lanceuphisbutt3
7/14/2011 05:18 AM

TeaLeaf Green are WAY better than WEEN.

Ween wishes they could be TeaLeaf Green.

I seen them both an I know what ween means

I get why they would rather be in Tealeaf Green.

RedHeaven
RedHeaven
7/14/2011 03:10 PM

OMG My band is WAAAAAY better than your band, duh! Gee I think I'll consider Ween my favorite band now that you told me to! ;)

Thats why they make chocolate AND vanilla. This is the High SIerra motto!

magnetic7
magnetic7
7/14/2011 10:02 PM

Excellent article! Makes me really feel how epic it was. Was sad to miss it this year, good to read about all the off-the-hookness. I gotta check out Warren's new line up. That sounds like the shizzle! Keep up the great work, ya'll! See ya at the String Summit next weekend!

By using the forums you agree to comply with our Terms of Use