Articles Forum

JamBase Features, Newswire & Reviews

43 Total Messages • Page 3 of 3 • « Previous 1 2 3 
Summer Camp 2011 | Review | Pics
msudtg
msudtg
6/3/2011 03:17 PM

It is amazing that when you are used to 10,000 Lakes fest or Harmony Park how much you can take for granted. When I went to Rothbury in 2008 that was pretty cool, but still just camping in a crowded parking lot. Nothing as awesome as 10klf was.

Now I know how bad a fest can be. If I knew it would have been like this I would have gone to Bonnaroo instead to really suck it up with a much better line-up. I am excited to find out how Wakarusa is, I have a few friends going and they will report to me. That may be my next fest for 2012.

Anyone else annoyed by all the ravers too? Jam scene has fallen hard over the past 10 years, that is for sure.

goose31285
goose31285
6/4/2011 06:47 PM

msudtg, could not agree more about the "scene." it pretty much disgusts me right now. and i miss the hell out of 10klf...

gmoo
gmoo
6/6/2011 05:49 AM

It really is the dirtiest festival around. By 2:00 PM Thursday afternoon, the entire parking lot was trashed.

Boommers
Boommers
6/6/2011 04:03 PM

What's with all the crying everyone? These large festivals are designed with one thing in mind. To make money. The good time and music all come with the territory. Everyone knows its going to ran and get muddy at scamp. Always have your rain boots ready. For all of you that have been going to festivals for years you should know the basic festival survival gear. Plenty of water, food, beers, smokes, a tent and dry clothes. I don't get people that go to festivals knowing the line up then cry about the people who show up. Whatever happened to having a good time and accepting people how they are?

chux7487
chux7487
6/6/2011 04:18 PM

wow. after reading many of the comments the environment sounds awful. this is contrary to what i have heard about scamp. how many ppl were there this year sorry if i missed someone saying the final count earliar?

brutalbrent
brutalbrent
6/6/2011 05:17 PM

I had a great time, saw alot of great music, met some nice people, HOWEVER there definately need to be some conscious and sensible changes made. Waiting to get in on Thursday for the "pre-party" made me pretty upset. Got there @ noon and should have been

checked in on time to see Moon Taxi, but NO, went through like 3 lines to get in, and

there was no one directing "traffic" of people and what to do with your ticket whether

it was general or VIP. The barn was really a clusterf**k, extremely hot, if I didnt know

better, I would have thought there were heaters in there. I am happy to say that I snuck

into Moe. late night, because Im a much bigger fan of them than I am of the late night

that I had which was STS9, which they werent letting people in who had VIP wristbands anyway, which I and many others thought was pretty wrong. The Sunday Moe.>Panic>Moe. was

the fire and everything after that didnt really matter anyway. Oh well, I will probably

consider going back next year, but Im pretty sure I will save the $175 on VIP and just go

general camping.

chux7487
chux7487
6/6/2011 05:28 PM

dont worry about missing moontaxi. i had wanted to see them so bad after so many rave reviews namely from ppl on this site. i saw them thursday night at hangout and they were such crappy fratrock i couldnt believe how surprised i was. all my friends were like dude why the f are u making us stay for this and they subsequently left me solo in the bar.

jefferson420
jefferson420
6/7/2011 08:38 PM

Ok, If you like moe. and UM, it was the best place on earth you could have been. UM laid down some sick shit fri. Sat late night moe. killed it! Everything else was gravy. Vibe tent kept things bumping all night. Smiles were abound, even with the mud and crazy Sunday weather. I'll be back with a smile!

fishbone1
fishbone1
6/8/2011 10:57 AM

Where's Ronny???? Oh, right at the top of the first page - that was easy!

fishbone1
fishbone1
6/8/2011 11:15 AM

this review SUCKED. It makes me want to take up freelance music journalism again, just to show this guy how to do it.

Anyway, this is the WORST venue for a camping/jam band fest on the planet. OK that may be an exaggeration, but the scenery isn't beautiful, the management was virtually non-existent which lead to terrible "infrastructure" problems, and the people TRASHED the place. The fact that there's a sound ordinance that pushes the biggest draws of the festival into a cramped, hot, smokey barn is rediculous.

The MUSIC at this festival was pretty damn awesome. There was something for everyone. Bela Fleck and Karl Denson threw down on Sunday and that pretty much capped my weekend because of the lackluster Tribe set in the barn.

I'd write more, but I'm at work and I think I did a better job than the guy who wrote the review because I didn't suck up to umphrey's the whole time.

I'm really looking forward to the Music Marauder's review!!

AND IF ANYONE KNOWS ANYTHING ABOUT THE LOST STERLING SILVER WIRE WRAP THAT I MADE A DIFFERENT THREAD ABOUT SEND ME AN EMAIL - CASH REWARD - jazzmastafish at gmail dot com

fishbone1
fishbone1
6/8/2011 11:17 AM

CHUX - I feel the same way about Kinetix as you feel about Moon Taxi - fratrock. I just don't get 'em. Anyway, now I need to check out Moon Taxi to see if you're right, lol, which you probably are.

mccajeff
mccajeff
6/8/2011 02:31 PM

Significantly more people this year at SC than previous years. Music was great but weather was not well planned for and entry was not well organized. Otherwise this is a pretty great festival all around and once you are in no road blocks to getting around and great vibe. They need to add more food vendors and be better prepared for bad weather. This festival had more things to see, hear and do than any festival I have been to.

ssiegel
ssiegel
6/13/2011 01:03 PM

Only got to see a portion of the fest on Sunday, but here is a review presented in chart form: http://www.thebarnpresents.com/summercamp2011

By using the forums you agree to comply with our Terms of Use