Articles Forum

JamBase Features, Newswire & Reviews

43 Total Messages • Page 1 of 3 • 1 2 3 Next » 
Summer Camp 2011 | Review | Pics
JamBase
JamBase
6/1/2011 12:00 AM

Summer Camp 2011 | Review | Pics
Umphrey's McGee, Widespread Panic, moe., Punch Brothers, The Mother Hips and more brave the mud for a mighty weekend in Illinois.

chux7487
chux7487
6/1/2011 03:44 PM

why in the world is this review so hard to read. why is everything underlined and in bold. major fail. festival looks fucking awesome though. sts9 must be on a tear they killed it at hangout too.

MCKILLA187
MCKILLA187
6/1/2011 03:50 PM

this review lacks content and too much bold face. but

the pictures tell a great weekend

msudtg
msudtg
6/1/2011 03:53 PM

STS9 was meh. Bass was sloppy and so was keyboard. If you can't hit the right note on a keyboard then you can't play an instrument. Bassnectar was packed and was a party, that is for sure. I really don't think the reviewer likes bands though, they seem to be way more into DJ's or other electronica music. To me, Bruce Hornsby was one of the best sets of the weekend. When he, Jimmy Herring and Bela Fleck were all jamming that was awesome. That is way better then any other sit-in that happened. Lamest thing of the fest besides the mud, WSP only having two hours to play.

Also, the Summercamp organizers did a crap job this year. Why so many lines? Why so many cars stuck in mud? Why no straw added to the mud to improve conditions? Why no warning to campers when a severe thunderstorm warning was issued?

I did VIP at Scamp this year. Overall, I give them a "C". It was probably the worst fest I have ever been too. Unless I see some major changes and an even better line-up next year, I will not be back. I am still searching for a fest that is as good as 10klf was.

MCKILLA187
MCKILLA187
6/1/2011 03:57 PM

Please tell Huey Lewis did "I Want a New Drug"

how perfect is that song for a festival

MCKILLA187
MCKILLA187
6/1/2011 03:58 PM

tell me

cpswimmer41
cpswimmer41
6/1/2011 04:06 PM

Review is missing a couple great sets; Bela Fleck and the Flecktones was brilliant and the first time that lineup has played together live since '94, KDubalicious was the funkiest show I have ever seen, complete with a handful of Grateful Dead covers, also Tea Leaf Green played with a fiddle for the back half of their set and they rocked my face off. I drove over 15 hours for Summer Camp and was not bothered in the least by the mud or weather, I thought it added to the fun actually. I can not wait for next year.

goose31285
goose31285
6/1/2011 04:25 PM

^ Ya, not sure how they overlooked the Flecktones set; it was actually the first time they had played since '92, seems worth mentioning. They started out a little stiff, but as they relaxed and the set progressed they got really hot, I was impressed.

Moe. on the other hand, seems to let me down more and more every year. They are seriously starting to get stale, and wtf is with their style complete aping UM lately? These guys really need to be more original for a change.

Biggest surprise of the weekend for me: 7 Walkers. Billy K absolutely ripped it up, they were awesome!

vega420
vega420
6/1/2011 04:43 PM

K-Dubs set was great. I also can't believe the review had no mention of the original Flecktones line up playing a great set. And to call Umph the MVP is ridiculous. The best set they played was with Huey Lewis. moe.'s 2nd set on Saturday and Panic's set blew away anything the Umph did all weekend. Nice to see Chicago Farmer getting some pub tho....If anyone has a chance to just catch him at a local bar DO IT. He is a hell of a lot of fun and will pry sit down and have a beer with you. Had the chance to meet him 4 or 5 times and he played an opening set for Great American Taxi one night....one of the best small bar shows I've ever seen.

rastarusty
rastarusty
6/1/2011 07:24 PM

I had a great time at scamp. I def here you though msudtg.

They really could have trucked in some hay for some of the pathways, stages. I had a great time regardless, there are always things they could have done better. Saw some great music, raged with some awesome people. Def will go back

gmoo
gmoo
6/1/2011 09:34 PM

For a review with insight and not simply "Best Of" lists, go to musicmarauders.com this Monday when I roll out my Day 1 / Day 2 coverage. I've seen Umphrey's 70 times and was completely bored during 95% of their sets. Tinkle's jam was huge but to call them MVP of the festival shows a complete lack of objectivity. moe.'s set Friday night, on the other hand, was the stuff of legends. Brought me to tears...

gmoo
gmoo
6/1/2011 09:35 PM

Awesome fuckin' pictures btw.

r0llingst0ne
r0llingst0ne
6/2/2011 12:16 AM

Good writing, bad coverage. Not a single mention about any of the five sets Cornmeal played, nothing about Widespread Panic, The Wood Brothers, Karl Denson, Bela Fleck, etc. I know it's impossible to see everything at a festival but come on. It's mostly about Umphrey's, .moe, and Sound Tribe - all regular staples at Summer Camp. How about writing about the new (and better) shit for once. Thank you for the effort though, at least someone covered it. Best Summer Camp I've been to.

KSTS9
KSTS9
6/2/2011 07:18 AM

Wouldn't read again but great pics, really great pics, give Dave a run for his money.

caserok
caserok
6/2/2011 07:51 AM

I am searching for a crowd seen from Panic's set, American flag, beautiful sunset and those latern things going right over the stage. Shit was plain awesome.

By using the forums you agree to comply with our Terms of Use