R.I.P. Gil Scott-Heron
JamBase
JamBase
5/28/2011 12:00 AM

R.I.P. Gil Scott-Heron

EddieOfarrell
EddieOfarrell
5/28/2011 04:47 AM

This is sad news. this man spoke the truth boldly. If you have not heard Small Talk at 125th and Lenox check it out.

Whitey on the Moon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtBy_ppG4hY&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otwkXZ0SmTs

Ned8
Ned8
5/28/2011 08:42 AM

I saw him perform at Yoshi's in the East bay in the mid-90's. Somehow, a kin to Jonny Cash in the American storyteller and with this , "I'm new Here," Vid put above (So glad this was done before he passed.) Poets die hard and then live forever....

travis1999
travis1999
5/28/2011 08:49 AM

R.I.P. Gil... A sad day indeed... His music and poetry taught me what music is supposed to be...

grateful4livin
grateful4livin
5/28/2011 11:19 AM

The revolution will not be televised, a sad day indeed! What a great and under appriciated talent he was. RIP Gil, you will be missed!

zachguru
zachguru
5/30/2011 09:24 AM

We Almost Lost Detroit.

RIP to an amazing visionary.

saines
saines
5/31/2011 08:00 AM

Sorry. Did not care for this guy. He was a crackhead (really, he was).

EddieOfarrell
EddieOfarrell
5/31/2011 02:18 PM

Ok, so for any other Matisyahu fans out there who may be unaware, Gil was known for having a sad sad problem. That said, to disrespect him like this here is poor of you. 90% of the artists you track on jambase would not have been without his work. ask em. having been around for a long time i know things about some of the artists you follow here on jambase that would shock you. Honestly, schoolboy, go turn your mom and dads money over a few more times, have your sector 9 kid costume pressed for the big school dance this weekend and keep buying those mp3s and concert tickets (mom and dads credit card again) from people whos personal behavior and spending habits i seem to know more about than you.

thelostsailor
thelostsailor
5/31/2011 02:31 PM

A very underappreciated voice that called civil rights and general political wrongs like no other musical entity. Like most great people, we won't appreciate him until about now...

Writing stupid comments, waging endless wars, and being white....

RIP

By using the forums you agree to comply with our Terms of Use