Articles Forum

JamBase Features, Newswire & Reviews

42 Total Messages • Page 3 of 3 • « Previous 1 2 3 
Hangout Music Festival 2011 | Review | Pics
Kendbud
Kendbud
5/31/2011 08:27 AM

yeah if you want an overcrowed fest this is it, unorganized and the frat boys and the litter was a giant turn off. Not to say I didn't have a great time and I didn't get in trouble, while still doing what I do. They got a long way to go, and they left out how small every area was beside the Hangout stage. It was a fun time, but I won't be back unless they move the venue to a bigger and better equipped area. Was a great idea just the follow through not so great. And to any one that want to go with don't bring/do drugs at a fest, there was more shit from people drinking beer (cans) than any candy flipping hippy. Piles of beer cans hidden in the sand, walk ways littered with beer cans, and more but I'm not going to go there. Just keeping the good memories, was a good time, but it could have been a lot better. Hopefully it'll get better and if not what a shame.

safe travels,

kendell.

MCKILLA187
MCKILLA187
5/31/2011 10:17 AM

deutch-

that is a really sucky thing that happened to you, im sorry.

chux7487
chux7487
5/31/2011 10:53 AM

yall are some cynical ass mfs. milesgone- your friend got clocked with a handle and that is why you wont go to this? youre an idiot, that is a freak occurance that couldve happened anywhere anytime. i brought a fifth in glass in every day and i can tell you i did not knock anyone out upside the head. there is no "if it doesnt get better what a shame" about this shit. it was bomb mother fucking squad. dope in an unreal way. best festy ive attended. great music wonderful vibe and the ocean. shit was killer.

hippieninjaz
hippieninjaz
5/31/2011 12:02 PM

The hangout festival was one of my favorites. One major complaint, the sound system was weak. I was sittin in the sand, watching Paul Simon, in the back, and I could barely hear him. Other people were yelling, to turn it up! I was far but not that far back where I should've been able to hear. I noticed this for other shows. It was overcrowded! The boom boom room was a joke, to small and way overcrowded. Does anyone agree with me on the sound?

shukky
shukky
5/31/2011 12:27 PM

I agree on the sound. Paul Simon was too low but the Foo Fighters and Panic sounded great. Also, anything on the surf stage was hard to hear if you weren't fortunate enough to get close enough too it. We could only get as close as where that water station was on the beach and the sound for Flips and Black Keys was way too low. The site is beautiful but with 35k+ it was a bit challenging getting areas to be close enough to hear the music. By the final day we were avoiding walking on the street between stages and walked the beach instead. It was much less crowded but much more difficult to make it through the sand. A couple of large boardwalks put in the sand between stages would have helped. I have been to a ton of festivals and don't know if I would return unless the line-up is sick. I did love the condo camping and beach in the day and at night but did miss the overall festival camping feel and thought that the energy that normally is present at a festival was quite lacking. There is a definate need for a lot scene somewhere down there!

marre
marre
5/31/2011 03:20 PM

Hangout Fest was great! I agree with some of this write up, but have to say Slightly Stoopid blew me away on Saturday, and weren't even mentioned. Stoopid, Ween, Flaming Lips and Paul Simon were the highlights for me

MCKILLA187
MCKILLA187
6/1/2011 08:02 AM

milesgone-

your friend should seek legal counsel, because its the production company and its

security teams liability that they let glass bottles in the concert area. Of course they are not willing to pay for the hospital bills, no profit seeking company would. however Im not an attorney, but consulting one could save your friend thousands.

what kind of a person would just throw a glass jug in the air?

Roswellznutsack
Roswellznutsack
6/1/2011 02:40 PM

This festival sounds laaaaaaaaaammmmmmmmmmmmeeeeeeeeeee!

chux7487
chux7487
6/1/2011 11:16 PM

i mean im glad ur boy is going to be ok and that is a shitty thing that happened to him but like personally i love being able to get liquor into the shit. now im not going and swinging bottles around and my point was that a freak accident like that could happen anywhere, its not like the hangout was just so irresponsible that people were flinging glass all over the place, they dont want that shit they want you to buy shit in there. dont tell me ur boy that got hit has never snuck some liquor into something. irresponsible assholes will be irresponsible assholes anywhere. seriously though that is shitty and im sorry about that and it should not reflect the festy which was complete tits imo.

Psilomega84
Psilomega84
6/6/2011 09:43 PM

i was born and raised in this hellhole of Alabama and im telling you don't come to baldwin county. if you read the article they talk about bassnectar fans being a "road hazard" and that is strictly because they put those shows there in a small ass tent in front of a gazebo where only a certain amount of people could fit to keep the "crazy kids" to a minimum. These types of shows such as pretty lights, sound tribe, ect.. were in the middle of the afternoon because baldwin county does not want people that listen to that kind of music in large numbers. these acts also played late shows i know, but for those shows you HAD TO BUY AN INDIVIDUAL ticket after buying a $185 ticket to be there. The purpose of this was also to keep the numbers down for these particular crowds (musical profiling if you ask me). Any festival (especially at the beach) that makes you throw away your sunscreen and water(unopened)at the gate can suck it. Take yourself to another state, a real music festival and enjoy yourself. It is truly amateur night at the hangout. Only go if you want to watch for police every 2 mins and be around people who don't belong at REAL MUSIC FESTIVALS. IE: i was listening to STS9, started drumming on a 55 gallon drum to the beat. soon after a few others joined only to have some dick facing the opposite direction away from the stage ask if we could quit because he "couldn't hear the music. You will see these kinds of assholes everywhere. I can't stress enough how terrible it is. MUSIC=AWESOME VENUE=Awesome Setup=Terrible AREA=Can't handle 35000 and it's a police state. so stay sober and bring lots of money so you can buy sunscreen in the gates.

pjsupafly
pjsupafly
6/6/2011 11:40 PM

This review was pretty unfair and biased. Quite horrible actually. @roswellznutsack, I would have the same reaction and would want no part of this fest if all I had to go by is this review. They made Umphrey's sound like a cover band and said they "noodled" their way into the next song!? If any "noodling" is going on it's by Widespread guitar solos for hours on end!! (which by the way. Why their review of widespread was so long is beyond me. He starts naming off spread songs like a grade A fanboy.) , kissed grace potters ass, called bassnectar fans a "road hazard" and didn't even mention sound tribe or Trombone Shorty! What about their take on Keller?: "The barefoot, goofy hippie poster-boy"?? Really? Two thumbs way down!

navsharma82
navsharma82
1/26/2012 01:41 PM

After spending in excess of 500 dollars, it is not too much to ask for minor conveniences like being able to bring a banana, or a bottled water, or sunscreen or small amounts of herb. Instead, I was strip searched, my personal belongings tossed into a garbage can, and then intimidated by ass backwards, redneck, racist Alabama cops that reminded me more of adolf hitler than public servants. Then once you get in, you have to fight your way through the crowd, which felt like walking through the buorbon street on mardigras, only to get a spot from where you can see absolutely NOTHING! my only constellation price was to actually not give a damn about trying to see my favorite acts, but to lounge around in the fake oasis, which I could have done infront of my condo. good luck to whoever is going this year, I know I am not.

By using the forums you agree to comply with our Terms of Use