Articles Forum

JamBase Features, Newswire & Reviews

42 Total Messages • Page 2 of 3 • « Previous 1 2 3 Next » 
Hangout Music Festival 2011 | Review | Pics
grasshole
grasshole
5/28/2011 12:16 AM

why would you need 7 grams of weed for one day of partying? a little excessive IMO

wilson021
wilson021
5/28/2011 05:17 AM

The festival was aswesome! The Foo Fighters Sucked balls!

deadpig79
deadpig79
5/28/2011 07:31 AM

I had no problem bringing a bag in or smoking it on the beach. Also talking to the cops outside they were pretty nice and they were happy to have the fest. They were not looking to arrest anyone but if you broke the law then they will get ya. I personally had a great time, will go back next year and enjoyed all the Bama people I met.

jalford3
jalford3
5/28/2011 10:36 AM

while i did meet some nice cops at the fest with good intentions, 3 of my friends were shoved to the ground, slapped around, pockets illegally emptied, cuffed, and taken to jail for smoking a bowl, minding their own business. while yes, we all know it's illegal, these 2 cops were overly violent, yelling things at our group, stalkin around us shining lights in our eyes, basically treating us as if we were being utterly unruly while in reality, we were sitting quietly, not bothering a soul. one of my friends in cuffs was told by this young (and probably on uppers) policeman "buddy if all them people hadn't been watchin i woulda loooved to have tazed your ass," etc. etc.

the bottom line to this story is that, while yes, marijuana is illegal, it is also a nonviolent, non-obtrusive "crime" and what happened to us was completely unnecessary. this is alabama, and while not all of the alabama police force is this way, some of them are young, hopped-up on adrenaline assholes that can't wait to arrest and harass some hippies. i know for a fact i will never go back.

on the other hand, the music was great! really enjoyed umphreys, big gigantic, primus, ween, galactic, greensky, etc. while i'm not usually a panic fan, i really thought they killed it! paul simon was great too. if you go to this fest next year, just use caution and don't smoke in the hammock area by the sky bar.

chux7487
chux7487
5/28/2011 10:43 AM

best festival ever. i have no idea where all these problems were that ppl are talking about. if you are smart, then, like at any event, you will have no problems. this shit was simply awesome. every show i saw was smokin fire, the security was minimal at best and there was virtually none inside the venue. blowing lines, blazing blunts on the beach, it couldnt get much better. honestly, the bathroom situation was so great, they had them zigzagged and there were zero lines so it worked out really great. walking on the beach to get to and from venue was an unforgettable experience. why the hell would you turn around and make yourself look all sketchy bestdoosh? i mean it was str8 as shit, i brought a fifth of liquor in every single day, along with multiple other substances. paul simon KILLED, OCMS fucking KILLED! Big Gigantic and STS9 were balls to the wall and the late night shit was awesome. the pre party with dumpstafunk raged. there were 2 bars on site, not like shitty ass beer stands but permenant structures, it was the shit. will never miss it again. wish i was back right now.

tonyj81586
tonyj81586
5/28/2011 12:57 PM

I had problems with security last year. Not the police, but the silly hillbilly hired security. During Preservation Hall Jazz Band's encore they came and did a second line typ of thing in the crowd. While they were marching back on stage, the band leader grabbed my shoulder and started leading me and a few other people behind the barricades. About 5 feet into the barricades, I feel a tug on my shoulder. Long story made short: I get lifted up by my back pack (i'm a lil' dude, some might consider me a "tiny rager") and hauled out of the show w/ my lady following me hollering at the guy who is leading me out. I state to the security fella' "The dude was pulling me back stage!", and his reaction was "He doesnt make the rules, I make the rules!" So we got kicked out of the festival last year, for a night, for being pulled behind stage and having a little too much fun!

This year's fest was fun, but not quite as much fun as last year's. There really were too many people there. RRE, UM, OCMS and MMW were the highlight's for me, but other than that there were too many "bassheads" and too little shade. Onward bound to next year, but I think I may find an alternate summer fest to throw money into this go round...

chux7487
chux7487
5/28/2011 01:16 PM

i am pretty weathered fesival vet for my young age, and i stand by my claim this was the dopest shit i have been to. i will say the heat was really hard to escape during the day, but once that sun went down jusssst enough man it felt great out there. sad to miss keller at a 12:30 showtime bc of OCMS, didnt get to catch any dead the whole time i was down there. unqiue festy experience though, one of a kind. cannot afford to get any bigger though, it was bursting at the seems to some extent.

tonyj81586
tonyj81586
5/28/2011 01:36 PM

Yeah man, i think they need to slim it down a bit or expand honestly. 35k is no problem at a lot of fests, but the boom boom room was packed to the max so I avoided that room the first two days unfortunately. Yeah, I caught Keller's kid stage set (if you want to call 15 mins a set) and it was pretty fun, but OCMS was well worth the Keller miss. You are right, I didnt hear any dead the entire fest either. That is pretty random!

bigchris
bigchris
5/28/2011 03:46 PM

good Ween pics, but a review of their set(which was awesome) would have been nice, mang

Boognish Provides

pjdmotown
pjdmotown
5/28/2011 07:17 PM

Great sets from every artist I had the opportunity to see. Agreed with the water situation. Kinda silly to make people dump water when there is one marked station for 35000+ people. And chux I have no idea how you got fifths in. They searched my bag every time I went through and I am used to dealing with festival security. Either expand the venue or cut the tickets to 25000 or so. Had a great time with some great music but they need to fix quite a bit to get me to spend that kind of money again. The vibe just seemed strange with everyone going back to their own condos and hotels and not taking the time to get to know each other.

chux7487
chux7487
5/29/2011 01:21 PM

getting shit into venues like that is pretty straight forward, and is a one word answer: chicks. anything u thnk wll be a problem, give it to a chick. you dont have any chicks with u in your group? get a random one from line, get her to stash shit on her persons, burn her up inside. never ever had a problem with this strategy. bra and underwear, works every single time.

sr53137
sr53137
5/29/2011 04:40 PM

by far one of the best fest i have been too. the venue was the tits, only thing i would improve on is the beer selection swag beer at all but one stand come one folks....the crowd was awesome, a little older than your average fest, no wooks to be seen, i guess when you have to plan a condo or hotel that helps to filter out a bit of the grime you see at these events on the norm. Im planning on returning next year with a 3-4 day recovery period booked post fest : )

dedhed6111
dedhed6111
5/30/2011 08:38 AM

"everyone knows you don't bring weed to a festival dumbass" - dude, I bring weed to the toilet to take a shit. Your notion to take 'various powders" and other hard drugs in "instead" is laughable at best, and a sad commentary on the scene at worst.

chux7487
chux7487
5/30/2011 10:49 AM

yea that was the stupidest comment ever. especially at a fest like this one, there is no lot.

HarleyJamming
HarleyJamming
5/31/2011 08:06 AM

I thought the Hangout Fest was a huge success this year! The main things they need to work on next year are the shuttle buses and the layout of the stages so that overcrowding is not as big an issue. The guy that had problems bringing a 2 week supply of weed into the venue was unlucky and a little stupid for trying to bring in that much bud. I personally witnessed the police letting 3 people go for small amounts of weed at the entrance checkpoints. They had a sheriff's deputy standing there with a brown paper grocery bag that they were just tossing it in and letting them go on into the show. There were only 189 arrests over the entire weekend with 35,000 people in town and most of those were alcohol related with ZERO for violence. Hardly sounds like a bunch of rednecks kicking the shit out of a bunch of poor innocent hippies but thanks for the insults.

By using the forums you agree to comply with our Terms of Use