Owsley "Bear" Stanley: R.I.P.
JamBase
JamBase
3/14/2011 12:00 AM

Owsley "Bear" Stanley: R.I.P.

thegreathoulihan
thegreathoulihan
3/14/2011 09:12 AM

RIP Bear, your contributions to man and musickind will be forever cherished and passed along, gonna munch some needle an get a steak fer dinner, see yall at Shoreline in June!

chux7487
chux7487
3/14/2011 10:02 AM

not only was he a pioneer of lsd, but also in the world of sound engineering. this man will be missed, cant wait to see what furthur has on tap to honor him.

Putnameter
Putnameter
3/14/2011 10:52 AM

Damn another great counter-culture icon passes away. His contributions to the Dead family will live on for decades into the future. Wear the SYF steelie proudly in his memory (his creation)! He also was the mastermind behind the wall of sound - The Wall of Sound consisted of 89 300-watt solid-state and three 350-watt vacuum tube amplifiers generating a total of 26,400 watts RMS of audio power. This system projected high quality playback at six hundred feet with an acceptable sound projected for a quarter mile, at which point wind interference degraded it.

I still cant wrap my mind around his diet free of vegetables, that's just strange.

DarkstarWolfcub
DarkstarWolfcub
3/14/2011 11:13 AM

Bear,

This is truly strange, how the scene is morphing itself into a new incarnation. I owe much of what I hold sacred from my youth to all of the warriors of the Dead clan. Kesey, Ginsberg, and now Stanley. This is such and integral part of the culture as I have come to understand it and how I see myself a part of it; these are my heroes, this is American folk mythology at it's finest...this is what we have to show for our energy investment into the counter culture which was responsible for such a cool amount of energy back in the day; whatever the tribe did with it is in the past. A true icon of spirit and magic has passed on to bigger and better things...I will always sport my Stealie proud...I wear it into the uncertain future a man, ready to best the beast in whatever form it arrives for the big battle brewing in cosnciousness...

" And so we go, you to live me to die, which is better, no one knows..."

Socrates

Furthur people!!

Roswellznutsack
Roswellznutsack
3/14/2011 01:37 PM

This dude was a true tripperrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

Dwizard
Dwizard
3/14/2011 01:59 PM

Bear was the man! Talk about getting in your head. He could give you one look and exist in your mind for an entire day. I'm grateful he came round when he did and that he was able to provide us with a real key to our unconscious. Guess those buckles are about to go up in value, glad I got mine years ago!

jazzfester
jazzfester
3/14/2011 02:19 PM

One fewer to be "Old and in the Way." Too many lost too quickly. RIP.

goose31285
goose31285
3/14/2011 03:10 PM

his contributions are without measure. a man who name is synonymous with the best band in the land, he will truly be missed...

RIP BEAR

goose31285
goose31285
3/14/2011 03:15 PM

here's a nice tribute today:

http://www.archive.org/details/gd1972-11-13.aud.owsley.gems.105812.flac16

brooklynite84
brooklynite84
3/15/2011 09:30 AM

A True Psychedelic King/Pioneer: He will be missed. RIP

mattchu
mattchu