Articles Forum

JamBase Features, Newswire & Reviews

44 Total Messages • Page 3 of 3 • « Previous 1 2 3 
High Sierra 2011: MMJ, Ween,
Warren Haynes, YMSB, Dr Dog
struby420
struby420
3/2/2011 01:58 AM

I would go to HSMF every year if I could. My first festival experience, I went to the Plumas County fairgrounds by myself, there were intense forest fires in the region which just added to the energy, and it turned me onto the jam scene in amazing ways. (Even though it was my first Ratdog show and Bobby turned the exploratory Dark Star into a very slow and boring tune). Security is a total non-issue. This is the best intimate festival experience there is in America, in my opinion. I loved smoking bongs with random old dudes during RRE while thick forest fire smoke made it look like we were in "The Fog". However, I would not call this best festival overall due to a few factors, the first one being having to charge more for music at late night. I find that counterintuitive the whole idea of a festival, because we're all gonna be up late, and we all paid for a ticket, why do we then have to subject ourselves to potentially not seeing a band we want to see because the late night will sell out? It's happened as Plumas CFGrounds, so that's not a hypothetical. Second, it's entirely possible that this festival can feel just as hot as Roo or Wakarusa. The year of the forest fires it was too hot to sleep by 8 AM and temperatures got above 90. Also, the manner of which the camping is handled is not the absolute best. If you don't arrive on the first night chances you are could be camping on the side of the hill behind a storage container. Those are just some observations I've made from my frequents to HSMF, and might not be opinions shared by everyone. I think Summercamp charging extra for the late night barn is bullshit too. Anyone love the outpost tent at Waka getting wompy for EOTO? I did.

BGA1
BGA1
3/2/2011 10:03 AM

I can't believe Bad Chad passed away.

That fucking sucks!

Well Rest in Peace my good friend.

He was truly one of a kind.

Chicken-Tits
Chicken-Tits
3/2/2011 10:14 AM

I havnt been back to HSMF for a few years and I would really like to head back this year. But I am still not sure. I like the lineup. Lots of good blue grass.

What is up with MMJ? Everyone seems to really like them. I checked them out on Archive and thought they were ok, but wasnt really feeling it. maybe im missing something. But the line up looks good and I know the fest is great no matter what bands are playing. If my ex girl friend decides not to go and some of my friends do decide to go, then I will probably go.

gandrewd
gandrewd
3/2/2011 10:16 AM

Struby, you are right there is no "best" festival. But like you said security is a non-issue which cannot be said for most festivals and you are at almost 4,000 feet so 9 out of 10 years it is not insanely hot, you just got a bad year, all the smoke from the fires keeps it hot at night, and there are lots of local swimming holes if you leave the fairgrounds.

All the bands that play late night play a free show also sometime during the fest anyway so you can see them. It helps to keep the general ticket price down. And yes primo camping is not available after the first day, aren't all the nice spots taken the first day at any fest? There is a whole area of wooded camping if you know where to look;)

I'd still take HSMF with a weak line up over Boneroo with a sick lineup anyday.

chux7487
chux7487
3/2/2011 11:58 AM

@Chicken-Tits- yea MMJ is really popular because of their live stuff, although i can imagine they do not come across too well on archive. Live in Okonos album is a good place to start, but it certainly aint a dope jam band which i prefer. its just that they fucking RAGE (SF Giants style) at their shows, they are perhaps one of the only true rock and fucking roll bands left doing it big today. as for your ex gf, fuck that bitch roll anyway.

CoreyBauer
CoreyBauer
3/2/2011 02:34 PM

HSMF always has a weak lineup. But always a good time.

esysbruce
esysbruce
3/2/2011 07:19 PM

This is supposed to be THE west coast fest, THE BIG ONE. But again I am disapoointed. MMJ and Ween do nothing for me. Bear Creek, Wanee, Waka, Jam Cruise, Roo, Summercamp, Mountain Jam, Hangout, Jazz Fest, All Good, Vibes, maybe add 2-3 more have better lineups.

We need somethin on west coast, please promoters?

I am skipping again unless a Derek Trucks Band, a Further, a Trey, a Mule, a MMW, a moe, a Ben Harper, something more gets announced

fricknfrack :(

gandrewd
gandrewd
3/2/2011 08:57 PM

Ween is f@cking awesome, balls out rock-n-roll, if you've never seen them live check them out, much better live than studio. Deaner can shred with anybody out there.

chux7487
chux7487
3/2/2011 10:35 PM

roses are free my brother.

gandrewd
gandrewd
3/3/2011 12:31 AM

I haven't been able to make it the last couple years, making a special trip to just to hear me some browness in Quincy!

gettintwisty
gettintwisty
3/3/2011 07:42 AM

esysbruce - weird, cause Vibes and Jamcruise lineups havent come out yet - so nice festival meandering.

Jazzzzz
Jazzzzz
3/4/2011 05:55 PM

Not going to HSMF again unless I can party like a rock-star and do V.I.P. We are thinking..... not my most favorite line up by far. Been to HSMF a number of times. I miss the Bear Valley location personally and the few years starting at Quincy. The fest has turned into a poser burner fest of $$$$. The bayarea/trust-funder/.commy's types but I think it's always been this way. We are saving our pennies and thinking.......

Hornings is AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Still homegrown and real. The venue blows HSMF in my humble opinion.

Earthdance - R.I.P. Great location and magical, but the rif-raft of the "humbolt" scene oy vye! Then they moved it this year to Vallejo Fair Grounds! Good LOrd!!!!!!!!!!!! I must be getting old! LOL!

esysbruce
esysbruce
3/8/2011 12:16 PM

These fests have better lineups than High Sierra

- All Good

- Mountain Jam

- Jazz Fest

- Hangout Fest

- Jam Cruise 9 (Jan 2011)

- Nateva

- Bonnaroo

- Jazz Fest

- Summercamp

- Snoedown

- Wanee

- Rock n Roll Resort

- Langerado (October 2011) - will have a better anounced lineup

- Bear Creek

- Wakarusa

- Smilefest

- Vibes - will have a better anounced lineup

- McDowell Mountain Fest

- Doheny Blues Fest (Derek Trucks/ Tedeshp, John Fogerty, Robert Randolph, Hendrix Tribute)

- Teluride Bluegrass

- Kate Wolf Music Fest

- Floydfest

22 and counting

I'm just saying for $20 lineup charge, $185 ticket, $85 to park your car, $20 - $30 per night late night tix, drive 5 hrs to redneck quincy, I would expect to see a moe, a panic, a trey, a further, an MMW, a Ben Harper, etc. cmon HSMF bring it!!!!! announce somethin more

gandrewd
gandrewd
3/9/2011 01:01 AM

esybruce, parking is free unless you want to park right on the festival grounds, the free lot is only about a 3 minute walk, early tickets were only $150 about $100 cheaper than Bonnaroo. MMW has played HSMF to death, Panic played last year, and could care less about Ben Harper lol, and I'll take Ween over Trey or moe anyday. I could see a Poopship late night closer until dawn. HSMF doesn't have the size for the crowds like Bonnaroo and the other huge fests and I'm glad because it is a much more intimate feeling, with more of a community vibe. Kind of apples and oranges. And I'm sure there will be some additions, wouldn't surprise me if Primus is added, Claypool likes it there.

By using the forums you agree to comply with our Terms of Use