Articles Forum

JamBase Features, Newswire & Reviews

111 Total Messages • Page 6 of 8 • « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next » 
Electric Forest Fest: SCI, RRE, EOTO Tiesto, KDTU, Pretty Lights
mattland
mattland
3/1/2011 08:58 AM

Also--Sherwood Forest is lame. Who wants to sit in the woods when killer bands are playing just around the corner? Really? you would rather hang out in some stinky hammock, looking at a cheaply decorated, man made logging forest when SCI or RRE or Les Claypool or (insert any band) is jamming just down the road? For me the ticket was for music, not ambiance. Just my opinion.

JUNKIZL
JUNKIZL
3/1/2011 09:13 AM

I feel what you're saying scummdogg. Personally I can't stand Tiesto either. I'm not a big fan of his girly ass trance. I've seen him a couple times and I just can't get into it. I'd give it another chance though. Still, if nothing else I think he's overrated. I love Bassnectar. I started liking Bassnectar probably about 5-6 years ago well before most people had ever heard the term dubstep including myself. I found him on a breaks record, I used to spin a lot of nu-skool breaks and drum and bass so I just dug his warped bass. My point is I watched him blow up from the beginning, and really it's only been like 2-3 years. That's thanks to the festivals, Roth, All Good, Bisco, Roo etc. that he just started playing. Now he's doing nationwide sold out headlining tours. That's crazy. The same goes for Pretty Lights. Blew up on the festy scene in just the past two years. Are they good? Yep. Do they blow shit up wherever they play? For sure, especially Bassnectar. His shows go off! Should they be at festivals? Hell yes!!!! Have they earned the right to be called headliners amongst longstanding talent like SCI and REO Speedwagon(ha ha)? Nope, surely not. So I can see how you might be disappointed but obviously SCI dig the electronica, and for good reason. And if you love them so much have a little faith that they will show you a good time as they obviously must have to make you such a fan. Not to mention there's some good bands on there too. RRE, JJ grey, KDTU, Toubab, Edward Sharp, Stephen Marley, LETTUCE, pimps of joytime, Rubblebucket. Damn I'm spending a lot of time defending a festival I'm not even going to. But I hope you go and have a good time man. BTW Hornings looked amazing! Hard to live up to that.

Garrett.rb3
Garrett.rb3
3/1/2011 09:27 AM

fuck yeah!! road trip from cali!

hayden4
hayden4
3/1/2011 10:53 AM

MATTLAND........cant help but remark on your comment about ROTH......if its cold put on a jacket,cuddle up with a cuttie,dance harder!!! SHERWOOD FOREST LAME???? THOSE folks put a lot of time energy and money to provide eye-candy while your walking from show to show.....and its a sweet spot to catch your breath. i have been to more festivals then i can count,and the mighty ROTH was among the best ever!!!!! did you see any arrests in mich???i didnt ,the cops were chill!!! saw a cop tell some one to hide there bong and he split!!!!anyway sorry you didnt enjoy the ROTH setting! wont miss you!

goose31285
goose31285
3/1/2011 11:15 AM

roth '09 was an amazing festival, the best i've ever been to in fact. and i've been to Roo, 10k, Scamp, etc. yah it was too damn cold, but it was an usually cold summer that year anyway.

this looks pretty sick just for the 3 nights of SCI alone. not that revved up about anything else, but i would go just for that, and i'm sure a lot of others would too...

goose31285
goose31285
3/1/2011 11:22 AM

sherwood forest was not lame, it was pretty sick actually, esp. under the right "circumstances". plenty of time to check it out during a show you don't want to see.

yah, actually i take back what i said, i've never seen emmit-nershi, so i'm stoked for that. i'm sure he'll be making some appearances w/ SCI too :)

mattland
mattland
3/1/2011 01:48 PM

To me the Sherwood Forest just didn't live up to all the hype. Overall Roth was a decent fest--I don't want to be too much of a hater, Cheese and the Dead killed. I'm just surprised nobody talks about how cold it was at night.

stoneymigraw
stoneymigraw
3/1/2011 03:47 PM

Mattland ever hear of a hoodie? What a puss! "Im too cold"

sahagian
sahagian
3/1/2011 03:52 PM

I'm from Florida, where we can't go outside during the summer or we'll sweat our asses off. To me the cold was AWESOME! It was like outdoor air conditioning! Like hayden said "put on a jacket,cuddle up with a cutie,dance harder!" It really made sleeping in a tent bearable. Bring on the cold!

stoneymigraw
stoneymigraw
3/1/2011 04:03 PM

mattland go to roo and sweat bullets with the rest of the ambercrombe flat bills. we wont miss you. the way i see it the less of you haters show more open hammocks for me.

stoneymigraw
stoneymigraw
3/1/2011 04:04 PM

sahagan wanee looks sick this year have fun.

defjukieallstar
defjukieallstar
3/1/2011 04:36 PM

Am I the only one that really likes bot Bluegrass and Electronic music?? Cant wait!!

mattland
mattland
3/1/2011 05:36 PM

Sorry to break it to ya, Stoney, but I think your electric fest might have a few of those flat bills, brah.

theterriblebob
theterriblebob
3/1/2011 08:01 PM

PERFECTION

edo0072
edo0072
3/2/2011 01:56 AM

Man I miss Rothbury...! There was a nice blend of music. Jammy and bluegrass in the day, good electroncia at night with a touch of cheese everywhere!!

Don't get me wrong with all this, I totally dig the electronic acts that are playing with the exception of Tiesto. Shpongle is going to kick ass! PL is everywhere and a lil played out but while a good act not TOP headliner! BUT REO SPEED WAGON?!?!? COME ON! Who are you trying to bring in with them?? Not Cheese fans and not electroncia and not bluegrass...

I heard last year at Forecastle that this was a for sure from Michael Travis so all year I have had my hopes for a festival following in Roth's foot steps. Thinking it was going to be along the lines of All Good during the day and at night basiclly what the whole festival has now seemed to turn into.

I just hope they can pull some good acts out. Who does SCI have to jam with?? RRE and Drew Emitt and... JJ Grey?? Unlikly but would be interesting! Just not what I was expecting! IMO they have a lot of work to do to get back to the CHEESE fans that I was hoping that this fest was going to be geared toward. Look at the past shows, The Dead, Dylan, Willie, Phill and Friends, Jackie Greene, Panic, Trey, Derek Trucks, Warren...! NOT EVEN K-DUB! (yet) and if he doesn't get added, Cheese fans don't get your hopes up for this festival! It may just be one to pass up save some money on for the rising gas prices or perhaps All Good?!?!

Long live Shearwood!!

CARRRRLLLL

By using the forums you agree to comply with our Terms of Use