Wilco and Jeff Tweedy Live Dates

chux7487
chux7487
1/28/2011 09:35 AM

yawn

gurgi617
gurgi617
1/28/2011 10:01 AM

i do not understand the popularity of this band...i know music, ive studied music, and i enjoy music...but i do not hear much difference in any of their songs, and i do not like the sound that they have...ive heard a lot of wilco and ive even seen them before at jazz fest...will someone please tell me what is so great about them?...i just dont get it

udsh
udsh
1/28/2011 10:11 AM

thats it?

hotchkiss
hotchkiss
1/28/2011 11:25 AM

gurgi: if you don't like them what will someone's opinion do to help you?

I can see how some can dislike Wilco, but I don't understand how someone who "knows, studies, and enjoys music". could make the claims you did.

My I ask in what capacity have you studied music?

hotchkiss
hotchkiss
1/28/2011 11:26 AM

*may

gurgi617
gurgi617
1/28/2011 11:37 AM

music theory classes, bass, piano, drums...all college courses taught by classically trained musicians...i just want some enlightenment...i dont notice talent in these people at all, and they get A LOT of accolades so if someone could give some perspective about this, then i may understand...i probably still wont like them, but i might understand how one could and therefore might have more respect for the band

rnawayjm
rnawayjm
1/28/2011 11:58 AM

gurgi: Real eyes realize. You can't teach it...

lonespanger
lonespanger
1/28/2011 11:59 AM

They write really good songs with really good lyrics, with real, raw human emotion.

Try putting down the books and theories and bullshit, and actually feel the music.

gurgi617
gurgi617
1/28/2011 12:11 PM

i know it goes beyond theory and books and technique...i know that the most important thing is the emotion of the music...but i dont get that with wilco...thats the point...when listening to many other musicians, i feel moved in some way: excited, melancholy, happy, energized, etc...but when i listen to wilco, i have one feeling: boredom...ive asked many to explain, and ive gotten no real reason for me to respect them as musicians

ps, the only reason i mention my musical background is because when i voice my opinion on here and others dont like it, theyve said "you obviously dont know anything about music"

hotchkiss
hotchkiss
1/28/2011 01:44 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9KOjKQ_ylw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tse1WPxhOGA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMWv9YumUy0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPAbjNT7nQY

Even my metalhead 12 year old nephew can identify the talent in these videos.

There's something else going on with you, no one could be so belligerent and biased in their opinion towards wilco without something going on.

bubbagreen
bubbagreen
1/28/2011 03:26 PM

if you really have listened to wilco you would'nt say all their songs sound the same! Nels Cline shreds on guitar! one thing i know about this band is they are even better live than on their records!! Not alot bands can say that

msudtg
msudtg
1/28/2011 04:32 PM

Wilco is so diverse and their sound has changed a lot. From Being There to Yankee Hotel To Sky Blue Sky, completely different. Nels is amazing at guitar and he does things that most guitarists physically cannot do. gurgi617, if you play guiter, I encourage you to take a lot at some of his stuff. He is a very good guitarist. If you don't like them, that is fine. To each their own. Some people just don't dig certain types of music. But, they are talented and very deserving of their success. Cant wait to see Tweedy in Rochester.

lanceuppercut3
lanceuppercut3
1/28/2011 10:53 PM

agree with hotch something is going on with you if you dont like these guys or maybe, stop for a second and think...maybe you just dont like the band? ever think of that? if you get bored listening to a band then that means you dont like the band, duh. dont try to "understand" them or make yourself like them their just not for you, its that simple.

and yes thier live show is ten times better than the albums, when i saw them i was blown away at the guitar improvasation and solos taking place, that dude can rip... you must have caught them at a bad fest or something cause the show i saw would make a person become a huge fan of these guys

gettintwisty
gettintwisty
1/31/2011 01:13 PM

Sky Blue Sky is one of my top 3 albums in the past five years...I think its some of the most relaxing music I've heard.

By using the forums you agree to comply with our Terms of Use