Articles Forum

JamBase Features, Newswire & Reviews

24 Total Messages • Page 1 of 2 • 1 2 Next » 
Jam Cruise 9 | Review | Pics
JamBase
JamBase
1/15/2011 12:00 AM

Jam Cruise 9 | Review | Pics
A lengthy report from the grand adventure on the high seas.

RAMBLER114
RAMBLER114
1/15/2011 11:08 PM

GREATEST MUSICAL ADVENTURE EVER! 4TH YR AND WILL NEVER MISS ONE! PEOPLE ON LAND JUST DONT UNDERSTAND......THANK YOU JAM CRUISE

lanceuphisbutt3
lanceuphisbutt3
1/16/2011 08:09 AM

If Dave School’s was there then where was WIDESPREAD PANIC? Widespread Panic are going to take over next time I hope. They will have their own Widespread Cruise and F everybody who refuses to allow the greatest jamband in the jazz or rock (‘n roll) worlds take charge and lead the show(s).

ryan420
ryan420
1/16/2011 09:45 AM

Thats hilarious! Widespread is far from the greatest jamband. Maybe the greatest inbred jamband. Maybe. Spreadnecks on cruise? hahaha They want to boat to sell out.

The cruise was epic, better than you could dream. Worth every penny. If you could turn all the shows throughout the year into a concentrate, you would get jamcruise.

wmiller
wmiller
1/16/2011 10:07 AM

If Widespread Panic played it would become Widespread Panic Cruise and not Jam Cruise. There wouldn't be room for fans of the other bands. Same goes for Phish, the Dead, etc.. And BTW Dennis (met you on the boat this year) Jakob Ladder is in no way related to WSP. They have never played it before. Road to Damascus and Light is Like Water were the only 2 songs played on JC that panic plays (though usually with Jerry guesting)

harryz
harryz
1/16/2011 01:35 PM

Very well said Dennis, and glad you enjoyed the Bloody Mary!

Ned8
Ned8
1/16/2011 02:38 PM

Another transportation article; thanks for bringing us close enough to fog the window view of yours. I wish you added with Bluhm that he is a hell of a song-writer and that if the band continues, as well as illuminating a different perspective of the GD material, the addition and collaboration could be amazing. That is what I'm listening up for in the future. Great article

budke
budke
1/16/2011 07:27 PM

Pretty similar tastes as me, nice article. I agree there was too much funk or perhaps the issue is not enough really good funk. I was getting tired of it before hitting the jam room for Porter's night and then I felt redeemed. It was good in there. Some of the best music of the night (I finally called it quits somewhere in the middle of George's 3rd vocal mic of the evening). The last night's jam room which featured a large dose of George, who clearly has more stamina to be on stage than Kimock, was even better. The ability to have a so-so bed (vs a thermarest), air conditioning, food and a shower for five days of concerts is a great combination.

GSW, ALO and the Kimock Jam Room really highlighted the shortcomings of the lineup:

1. The Jam Room is too much of a well kept secret or not enough of what the rest of the music is like.

2. Too much funk, much of it not that good and it never went anywhere and most of it sounded the same.

3. Not enough songs with lyrics and melodies and all that.

4. Too serious. Aside from the Piano lounge, ALO and maybe a little Robert Randolph it seemed a little up tight. This goes back to a lack of artists with real songs (GSW fits perfectly on the boat, but I think was also a bit of an outcast in that they have range and are entertaining.) There are additions like a Jerry Jeff, Todd Snider, or Robert Earl Keene that would be wonderful additions, especially for the daylight sets, expand their audience and introduce the jam audience to them - they also work really well for a nautical/beach theme.

5. Jazz, Southern Rock, Southern Rock and Jazz, Latin based music. I despise Electronica, but understand it is some people's bag and given multiple stages going off at the same time it cuts down on conflicts for me. But with Col Bruce on the boat (I saw him eating enough - just happened to have similar schedules I guess), I never managed to see him on stage. Think the original ARU or Allgood which just got back together.

6. Scheduling. Split here. I loved the first HORDE's ability for one band to segue into the next live and without the break. Cool musical moments and kept you from getting bored during the band changeover. The flip side is it gives an opportunity to catch some other stuff. I realize not all stages would work for this nor all bands, but it may be workable. Aside from that, I think scheduling two funk bands against each other or two electronica ones sucks. On the plus side it did drive me to the Jam Room the first time, but there were enough good and bad periods of music (IMO) that I think doing something of a theme at a stage for the night with some segue between bands would be cool and cut down on having to run all around the ship.

sfs03
sfs03
1/16/2011 08:30 PM

no Dosio love?

Hankskool
Hankskool
1/16/2011 10:19 PM

Can we please get down to brass tacks? I'm wondering, how difficult is it for one to bring their four day supply of attitude adjustments onto the boat. This really does sound like a total riot, with a ton of my favorite bands, but I don't booze it up and I would like to know that I can safely bring aboard the ole gurgles and not be hassled by security. Is there an ease of doing this?

phishdead2
phishdead2
1/16/2011 11:43 PM

hankskool from what i read online it got raided like the first day or something stupid like that. it was a total fed operation and they only busted 15 out like 2500 ppl though so maybe they won't be tryin that again and this was the first year that happened so hopefully never again. but i've always wanted to go to this and someday hopefully i'll have the money to go.

milesgone
milesgone
1/17/2011 05:31 AM

as fun as this looks I would not trade it for bearcreek

toestothenose
toestothenose
1/17/2011 06:51 AM

What a wonderful recap and the photos are amazing! The depth and coverage of this Jam Cruise is incredible! Wonderful work to all!

Roswellznutsack
Roswellznutsack
1/17/2011 09:55 AM

I prefer my jambands on land, thank you very much!

KSTS9
KSTS9
1/17/2011 10:12 AM

Lineup could have been a tad better a tad less funk a little more jam/rock but I had a killer time and no festival on land can top it in the middle of the ocean, and when I say none I mean none! Unbelievable vibe on the boat and it can't be felt or explained through video's, photo's or write ups you just have to be there! It's flat out incredible.

By using the forums you agree to comply with our Terms of Use