Articles Forum

JamBase Features, Newswire & Reviews

46 Total Messages • Page 3 of 4 • « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next » 
SCI Winter Carnival 2011
Dwizard
Dwizard
1/7/2011 01:32 PM

bwallen proved exactly what i had said about Cheese being middle school jam. he found them in 06 and then found the rest of the jam scene. They are the introduction to this style of music and culture for a lot of kids, but most of us move on. They get stale quickly and unlike The new versions of the Dead they arent producing new music, simply playing best of shows.This scene used to be about culture and spirituality, growing and learning about the other side of life. SCI simply doesnt go deep enough for me to get to that sort of plane.

bwallen
bwallen
1/7/2011 01:35 PM

Ya man. Wish I knew who they were in the early days. Id have been all over it back then. Some just get started later then others. But I agree with a lot of your comments there. Ill still be going to cheese shows until they really break up.

CoreyBauer
CoreyBauer
1/7/2011 02:56 PM

well.. as long as they put a smile on your face thats all that matters. have fun with the other 5k people in that venue. hopefully you can see the stage

michaeljackson
michaeljackson
1/7/2011 03:31 PM

CoreyBauer has obviously never been to the 1stBank Center...the place is the (.)(.)'s.

Not a bad seat in the place.

CoreyBauer
CoreyBauer
1/7/2011 04:06 PM

"not a bad seat in the house"

from my cheese experience, don't think many will be sitting.

but no haven't been there. but (just looked it up) 6500 people capacity... ain't my cup of tea or should i say cup of cheese... :)

northville
northville
1/7/2011 04:41 PM

I like the cheese as much as anyone, but all the laptops on stage nowadays is really gay.

jimmyjetski
jimmyjetski
1/7/2011 05:21 PM

Quite a few experts here posting about Cheese's talent and motivation. I should have checked with them before I went to Hulaween, which I must have been delusional in thinking was great. I then drove up to see Phish on Halloween and was slightly bored, compared to some of the great ones by them this summer and fall.

As far as for being the under 18 crowd's band, I was 18 when I saw Garcia for the first time in 1983. There are not too many bands that fuse musical styles as broad as calypso, African, rock, trance, folk, country and bluegrass as well as the Cheese. If that not interesting, at least there are many other good bands out.

Hankskool
Hankskool
1/7/2011 06:38 PM

Man, I've read quite a few really eighth-grade-cheerleader "they're better than Panic, not as good as Phil and Friends , can't touch Phish", petty competitive crap on this line. Boy I must be some kind of dodo because I love everyone of them and try pretty hard to see all of them anytime they come to the bay and Tahoe area. Some, most, days are great . Some, not so much. Doesn't matter. I gotta go there myself to hear it and decide. I've got nothing better to do.

If the String Cheese Incident sounded and looked like they did the first time I saw them in Truckee in the mid 90's , I very unlikely would have missed out on seeing them at that gorgeous Sea of Dreams 06 experience ten years later because I like change and would have grown bored some where in the ten year period. Even I was iffy when they added the percussionist in the early decade but it took me once to realize that this wasn't some boring Poser with Bongos, but a real musician, a natural complement to the band and that other outstanding mutant that plays the trap kit. Most of us aren't like Of Mice and Men's Lenny, "George tell me the story about the rabbits again", EXACTLY like you told it last time. Our brains and hearts are in flux, so are our muscical tastes, on each and every given day.

Incident. Coincident. Last month I submitted vacation requests for this year in which I asked for the first week of july off because of a hunch they would be playing the rumored Incident festival in Rothbury. Use a family visit to Michigan as a convenient excuse to see them. In addition , I asked for the exact week off in March they're playing in CO with no knowledge of this announcement. Thought I would go to Canada to do some skiing. Change of plans. Now I'll have to settle for a long drive to CO and have to settle for the consolation of skiing at those little mole hills you call mountains there and sticking my head into the String Cheese Incident again, the first time since 07 for me. Fuck yeah.

Hankskool
Hankskool
1/7/2011 06:48 PM

Man, I've read quite a few really eighth-grade-cheerleader "they're better than Panic, not as good as Phil and Friends , can't touch Phish", petty competitive crap on this line. Boy I must be some kind of dodo because I love everyone of them and try pretty hard to see all of them anytime they come to the bay and Tahoe area. Some, most, days are great . Some, not so much. Doesn't matter. I gotta go there myself to hear it and decide. I've got nothing better to do.

If the String Cheese Incident sounded and looked like they did the first time I saw them in Truckee in the mid 90's , I very unlikely would have missed out on seeing them at that gorgeous Sea of Dreams 06 experience ten years later because I like change and would have grown bored some where in the ten year period. Even I was iffy when they added the percussionist in the early decade but it took me once to realize that this wasn't some boring Poser with Bongos, but a real musician, a natural complement to the band and that other outstanding mutant that plays the trap kit. Most of us aren't like Of Mice and Men's Lenny, "George tell me the story about the rabbits again", EXACTLY like you told it last time. Our brains and hearts are in flux, so are our muscical tastes, on each and every given day.

Incident. Coincident. Last month I submitted vacation requests for this year in which I asked for the first week of july off because of a hunch they would be playing the rumored Incident festival in Rothbury. Use a family visit to Michigan as a convenient excuse to see them. In addition , I asked for the exact week off in March they're playing in CO with no knowledge of this announcement. Thought I would go to Canada to do some skiing. Change of plans. Now I'll have to settle for a long drive to CO and have to settle for the consolation of skiing at those little mole hills you call mountains there and sticking my head into the String Cheese Incident again, the first time since 07 for me. Fuck yeah.

hayden4
hayden4
1/7/2011 07:59 PM

any news on ROTH!!!!

Sobedellic
Sobedellic
1/8/2011 11:36 AM

Like I said earlier: Everything pre-2001 is the Dope Cheese!

struby420
struby420
1/10/2011 01:45 PM

string cheese investment

PhreePhan
PhreePhan
1/11/2011 08:01 PM

I've really enjoyed this band for almost 15 years. I can't compare them nor do I think they are " sell outs ". They do not need the $, they all still work beyond cheese obviously. the style of the band sways back and forth from one extreme to the next to please all the members of the band that are so different from each other. even more after the addition of hann. every tour of cheese has been like that. so to some of the outsiders it may seem they are selling out. especially to those who compare this band to moe,furthUr or panic. how can you compare any of those bands to eachother? because they improvise? that is about the only comparison.

hayden4
hayden4
1/12/2011 10:58 AM

HORNINGS HIDEOUT was like a trip to chucky cheese when you were a kid!!!!SICK!!!!!

chux7487
chux7487
2/23/2011 11:06 PM

damn my boy just won tickets to this and cant go

By using the forums you agree to comply with our Terms of Use