Articles Forum

JamBase Features, Newswire & Reviews

19 Total Messages • Page 1 of 2 • 1 2 Next » 
Umphrey's McGee | NYE Run | Chicago | Review | Pics
JamBase
JamBase
1/3/2011 12:00 AM

Umphrey's McGee | NYE Run | Chicago | Review | Pics
Umph concludes their last Chicago New Year's shows, bringing a long-standing tradition to a close in style.

isawitinthesky
isawitinthesky
1/3/2011 03:21 PM

Yeah!!

lanceuphisbutt3
lanceuphisbutt3
1/3/2011 05:08 PM

YES!

scumdogg420
scumdogg420
1/3/2011 07:10 PM

fuck the riv!

scumdogg420
scumdogg420
1/3/2011 07:11 PM

actually...fuck all chicago venues.umphreys is nasty though wish i coulda gone.

schofizzl
schofizzl
1/3/2011 07:29 PM

fuck the riv? fuck all chicago venues? i'm not even from chicago, and i strongly dislike chicago people... but the riv rules... i know you have 420 in your screenname which means you're too badass for me.. but that was some ign'ant shit to say

vespuchi2
vespuchi2
1/3/2011 08:38 PM

wow some real winners in this thread, if you cant get along with people from the midwest then i think you need to look into the mirror...

but what a great review. well done.

i love hbb and hearing it on the 29th in the encore slot was awesome, but if that's one of the best youve heard you need to start with 7.13.07 and go from there.

brentkado
brentkado
1/3/2011 11:40 PM

and the whole thing was caught on video via 7-14 cams. Could be a nice summer present! :)

frinkazoid
frinkazoid
1/4/2011 06:21 AM

The real question is where will they head for NYE this year if not Chicago? I'm pulling for the ATL, bring that hotness to the South!

bhl1987
bhl1987
1/4/2011 07:07 AM

BEST BAND EVER

schofizzl
schofizzl
1/4/2011 09:44 AM

sorry if yer from chicago vespuchi. i should have worded my sentence better... "i strongly dislike almost all chicago people i have been around, but definitely not all of them"... i have family in chicago area too im from southern illinois though and a lot of chicago people treat us like shit, so i don't feel too bad, but still apologize for generalizing.

isawitinthesky
isawitinthesky
1/4/2011 04:12 PM

KADO!! I didn't know you were on JB!

scumdogg420
scumdogg420
1/4/2011 07:25 PM

the riv and every other chicago is ran by scumbags who steal,call me ignorant all you want but ive been to hundreds of shows in chicago and while the venues may be cool,the security has ruined my experiences several times,generally for something small like trying to "sneak" cigarettes into the venue or stealing money from my pocket and throwing me out for complaining about it when they do their cavity searches to let people in.to me it sounds like YOU are the ignorant one.

like i said before..fuck all chicago venues

hellopanda
hellopanda
1/5/2011 08:10 AM

First off, music aside, the Riv was a great place to see this band. The staff was friendly and efficient. I was barely searched each of the three nights and the lines were relatively fast (except coat check on the first night - what nightmare!). There was unlimited free ice water for those worked up dancers. My only true complaint was that the drinks were horribly overpriced. I'm not from Chicago, but $5 for a can of Miller Light - are you kidding me?? What's unfortunate is the fact that everyone I talked to said something to the effect of "Oh it's Chicago, get used to it" - drink prices like that are ALWAYS a rip off and really put a damper on any night.

Ok, now on to the music...

HOLY SMOKES! What a run. NYE made it 15th show and I feel like I've seen a whole range of shows, from forgettable (Bonnaroo '08) to good eg. misc. Summercamp shows (and by the way, "good" for an UM show would be a crowning achievement for any other band) to great eg. Peoria 10/11/09 to absolutely phenomenal (10/30/10 St. Louis) and all three of these nights were ABSOLUTELY PHENOMENAL. The first night was perhaps the best show for the serious Umphreak, due to monstrous jams in ALMOST EVERY SONG. The same can be said for night 2, I suppose. How did this review not mention the Bottom Half jam in the first set?? One of the best cuts of the run if you ask me...

And NYE was just too much fun. Incredible jams (the All in Time anyone???) mixed with great humor and a party-time sense from the band (Kris Myers' JB getup was CLASSIC) are what NYE was all about. This show killed last years NYE show. The Beck song was just exhilarating, Slacker was unreal, and the Rocker Pt. II jam in the first set was one for the books. WHAT A SHOW! As you can tell I'm reliving some of the excitement I felt during the show right now. When I think about it these days I can't help but run to my stereo, throw on the shows and start cutting a rug. I cannot wait to see UM again (Lawrence, KS I believe) and I hope they are doing NYE somewhere within a days drive next year. I'm hoping Denver/Boulder, Tennessee, heck maybe even St. Louis (though I doubt they'll play anywhere in the midwest.

UM is truly THE SEMINAL POST MILLENIUM JAMBAND. No other band has worked as hard in the last ten years as they have. They are poised to explode (will they, or will they plateau as they are? this is a question I often discuss with my buddies). With shows like this, I can't understand how they won't start playing bigger venues (I wouldn't mind either way - I love seeing them in smaller places but I would also enjoy the pride as a fan that would come with larger recognition of the band). Long live UM!

leand487
leand487
1/5/2011 09:22 AM

Great review. Hands down the best New Years shows on the scene for 5-6 years running now. But lets try and keep that our little secret.

By using the forums you agree to comply with our Terms of Use